Please help!!! I am making my way through this thread, and the various websites that have been suggested, but can't wait any longer to ask for your advice.Here is my situation (I'm sorry this is so long
Yesterday was my first appt with an endocrinologist. He is strongly medical model, not open to holistic care. (I am seeing my ND & acupuncturist for treatment, also started a gf diet, and am taking supplements - he basically rolled his eyes).
When diagnosed this past Sept, my TSH was 7.06, my free T4 & free T3 were on the low end of normal, and I tested positive for both thyroid antibodies. I was told I have subclinical hashimotos, although I was feeling very symptomatic (zero energy, brain fog, recent weight gain, etc). I have been on thyroxine (synthetic TSH) for the past month, haven't got my new blood results back as of yet. Also, ultrasound picked up at least one nodule that is suspicious and will be biopsied.
My endo thinks I should continue ttc as soon as my TSH is between 1-2 (I'm >35 and we've been ttc for awhile). He says that even if the nodule turns out to be cancer, we can treat postpartum. He described thyroid cancer as more of a nuisance than life threatening (?!!). I plan to wait until after the biopsy results (and if I'm clear, to go ahead ttc).
My questions are:
-how risky is pregnancy if I have thyroid antibodies? (assuming TSH is regulated)
-do thyroid antibodies tend to rise (as TSH does) in pregnancy? Is there any way to lower/control antibodies?
-in the case of cancer, can a person decline the radioactive iodine?
-should a woman begin taking extra synthroid while ttc, even before a positive HPT?
-do you have experience breastfeeding with hashis? How likely is it that I won't produce enough milk?
-Is there anything else to consider before ttc? (i.e. any other risks, issues I haven't thought of)?
TIA for your time reading this & for any input you can offer.