or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Uniform.. backpacks? Update #63
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uniform.. backpacks? Update #63 - Page 3

Poll Results: Dumb idea to have "uniform" backpacks?

 
  • 47% (43)
    Yes, that's dumb.. or silly or whatever you want to call it.
  • 28% (26)
    No, not dumb - a good idea actually!
  • 23% (21)
    Other, indeferent, you name it.. (??)
90 Total Votes  
post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Yep, I was told everyone (regardless if one could afford their own bag or not) would get the same bag for their child. Wells Fargo (bank) is sponsoring it. I was told that they had to use the bags and if they brought a different bag to school, it'd be taken away and sent home with the child at the end of the day with a note.

This sounds just plain crazy and oh, so controlling. Especially coming out of a public school. How can they really make you bring only one certain backpack? I would be mad just on principle - telling me/my child what kind of backpack we could use.

Maybe it is part of the agreement with the retail sponsor (the bank) so they get the free advertising in "payment" for giving the bags.

What happens when the bank-sponsored backpack gets "lost"? Do you get a new one....each week???
post #42 of 64
It's only kindergarten. So what if they have the same back pack. Label yours and move on.
post #43 of 64
I had a jansport bag all through middle school, high school, and college. I'm tellin' you, too... I honestly had at least 50 pounds worth of books in it all day every day through high school. The zipper pull snapped once, and another time it came off the track. Sent it back both times and they repaired it for free.

It's sad that they don't have the same quality anymore. I was looking at them at target and they seem to have gone over to "more pockets better!" and really super bright patterns. They didn't look as sturdy.
post #44 of 64
I think it's a horrible idea. Dd used to come home wearing other kids shoes all the time because they looked similar, not even the exact same shoes. I cannot imagine the horrors of hundreds of clone backpacks.
post #45 of 64
My son was in kindergarten last year, and the class was required to have the same bookbag (a sturdy canvas bag with the school logo), which we were required to buy. (It is a private school though, so I can't complain about the requirement).

Honestly, it wasn't a big deal at all. One of the moms in the class made cute little laminated tags with everyone's name which were attached to the handle with keyrings. We never ended up with any else's bag.
post #46 of 64
at the school I went to (high school), we were only allowed to have ONE kind of back pack. it had to be clear plastic.
post #47 of 64
I'd just customize it. There are lots of add-ons and stuff you can get at the craft store.

The only reason I am for it is because of the Bratz backpack one girl at DD's school has. Otherwise I am pretty anti-uniform stuff.
post #48 of 64
I'm indifferent. I haven't read the replies, so sorry if I'm repeating.

You could let your kids pick out a keyring to attach to the zipper of their backpack to help them identify it. Maybe one with their name or favorite sports team or cartoon character or something.
post #49 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
It's only kindergarten. So what if they have the same back pack. Label yours and move on.
Kindergarten = the most likely year/age that each child will come home with someone elses bag at least once a week.
post #50 of 64
I would be aggravated. My girls love choosing their own backpacks. And I really dislike cheaply made packs. We are all about Lands End backpacks and lunch boxes- they are well made and cute and guaranteed.

Jansport seems to be well-liked, too, so quality might not be an issue. But I think backpacks should reflect the kid, not be clones. Just my opinion.
post #51 of 64
I don't know, I kind of understand the reasoning behind it. It's all very Big Brother, though.
post #52 of 64
I kind of see the reasoning behind it, even though it's all very Big Brother.
post #53 of 64
When dd was in preschool and K the school provided the backpacks. I think she came home with someone else's only once in 3 years. They all had luggage type tags with the child's name on them.
post #54 of 64
Thread Starter 
I emailed the principle to get clarification. I will update once she replies.

I apologize to the mods for having to take the time out to move this thread from TAO.
post #55 of 64
I have known of schools w/the clear backpacks.

I too want a very sturdy bag that is good for the kids back (the older kids) the younger kids it doesn't matter so much because they don't carry much in there.

I don't think I would care for that for my kindergartener because yeah I think it would be confusing in gathering their materials to come home.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Yep, I was told everyone (regardless if one could afford their own bag or not) would get the same bag for their child. Wells Fargo (bank) is sponsoring it. I was told that they had to use the bags and if they brought a different bag to school, it'd be taken away and sent home with the child at the end of the day with a note.
I would be upset if my child were forced to advertise for the sponsor by carrying around the logo on their belongings. Why should my child be forced to be a walking billboard for a commercial interest? Makes me crazy. : Do you know if the bags *say* "Wells Fargo" on them? I could envision myself undertaking some very creative crafting to remove or cover over the advertising.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
I was planning on sewing their names on the bags (on the front of them, making it obvious).
I don't know if this has been addressed, but it's unwise as a general rule to put your child's name on their backpack where it can be seen while the child is wearing it, as it makes it easy for predators to use the child's name as leverage for whatever scam they're running. "It's okay, David, I'm a friend of your mom's.." That sort of thing. The use of the name reassures the kids, who don't automatically think, "Maybe he just read that off of my backpack," you know? There are lots of places to label a backpack which are easy for the children to see, but not so easy for a perfect stranger.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojumi View Post
I would be upset if my child were forced to advertise for the sponsor by carrying around the logo on their belongings. Why should my child be forced to be a walking billboard for a commercial interest? Makes me crazy. : Do you know if the bags *say* "Wells Fargo" on them? I could envision myself undertaking some very creative crafting to remove or cover over the advertising.
I, too, was wondering if the Wells Fargo logo would be on them somewhere. Logos like these are usually embroidered on so I imagine it would be easy to put something cute and personalized over it.
post #59 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I don't know if this has been addressed, but it's unwise as a general rule to put your child's name on their backpack where it can be seen while the child is wearing it, as it makes it easy for predators to use the child's name as leverage for whatever scam they're running. "It's okay, David, I'm a friend of your mom's.." That sort of thing. The use of the name reassures the kids, who don't automatically think, "Maybe he just read that off of my backpack," you know? There are lots of places to label a backpack which are easy for the children to see, but not so easy for a perfect stranger.
It was addressed. I wasn't thinking last night as I've already turned down gifts (yet to be made) that were shirts w/ their names on them, etc. It just slipped my mind. I am not one to be for that normally. I've had too much on my mind this week obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
I, too, was wondering if the Wells Fargo logo would be on them somewhere. Logos like these are usually embroidered on so I imagine it would be easy to put something cute and personalized over it.
I imagine no one will know until the bags are distributed on the first day. I'm wondering as well though.


No reply from the principle yet. I am very anxious because silly as it is, I'd love to take the boys shopping for bags next week.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
We didn't use any bags at all.. we just carried any books home.
I'm old enough that I actually used a book strap. :

I think that it's awesome that everyone gets a backpack, however I too would be very pissed about my child being a walking advertisement. Dd doesn't wear character clothing or anything else that is a walking advertisement.

I don't have a problem with uniforms or the same backpack. Kids are unique and will find a way to show their uniqueness.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at School
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Uniform.. backpacks? Update #63