or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting: Moms who smokes dope...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parenting: Moms who smokes dope... - Page 3

post #41 of 112
[QUOTE=GranoLLLy-girl;12000666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post

Marijuana is a PLANT. It's crazy that it's illegal, and most people have no idea WHY it's illegal.

QUOTE]

Well that's all well and fine--but by the time a person buys it off the street (because let's face it, the OP's friend is not buying it for medical purposes where it would be regulated) who knows what's been done to it. I've seen folks drop dead from pot that was chemically altered. It's not safe to buy it from a stranger. They are always in it for the profit.



That's why it's good to know your drug dealer. And yes, I've had altered pot before so I know what you mean.
post #42 of 112
What do you mean 'studies prove it causes no harm to the baby'.
Who the heck would participate in a study to smoke pot while pregnant?
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiethridge View Post
What do you mean 'studies prove it causes no harm to the baby'.
Who the heck would participate in a study to smoke pot while pregnant?



Did someone say that? I missed that.

I think it is more accurate to say that there are no studies that have found moderate pot use of a pg mother to have detrimental effects on baby.

Crud, you could just go to Humboldt County, CA where many mothers smoke pot (and are told to do so by their midwives to help with migraines), and the children there are thriving perfectly.
post #44 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylou View Post
First - dope is heroin, not marijuana.

Second - marijuana is not a narcotic.

Third - how to respond? Well it's not really any of your business. As you yourself pointed out, the research shows that weed does not have adverse affects on a baby.
I've never heard that dope is herion.

Where i'm from "dope" is crank (meth).
post #45 of 112
"dope" seems to be an all-encompassing word.
post #46 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
"dope" seems to be an all-encompassing word.
apparently, huh?
post #47 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiethridge View Post
What do you mean 'studies prove it causes no harm to the baby'.
Who the heck would participate in a study to smoke pot while pregnant?
I can't stop giggling...honestly, I can't. I must be one sick puppy today...

As for "dope" when i was growing up it meant any illegal drug.
post #48 of 112
Admittedly, the word "dope" means different things depending on your audience. To someone who is unfamiliar with different types of drugs, it probably means any illegal drug. In street vernacular, it tends to mean heroin. Check out the definitions on Urban Dictionary - they concur.
post #49 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Did someone say that? I missed that.

I think it is more accurate to say that there are no studies that have found moderate pot use of a pg mother to have detrimental effects on baby.

Crud, you could just go to Humboldt County, CA where many mothers smoke pot (and are told to do so by their midwives to help with migraines), and the children there are thriving perfectly.
And what I am saying about "no studies that have found moderate pot use of a pg mother to have detrimental effects on baby." , is how many women did they use in the 'studies', and for how long were those children followed? A few days? I don't know, I don't think you could scrounge up enough pregnant women that would be ok enough to smoke pot for the sake of a study, at least not enough to get accurate data from it.

I don't know. I think one of the things that appeals to me about natural mamas (and I'm making this a crunchy issue, since midwifes are endorsing it) is that we will rarely do anything even close to 'iffy', for the sake and heath of our child. Hence natural child birth, not vaccinating, good diet, so on so on. Its unreal to me that anyone would even chance it with that nonsense.
Morning sickness sucks...but you work through it. Just like with labor. Its natural to feel like utter crap. We have 'trust birth, but Where are the 'trust pregnancy' advocates? haha. Anyway. I don't feel comfortable taking tylenol while pregnant, much less smoke weed.

I'll shut up now. Just had to get that off my chest.
post #50 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiethridge View Post
And what I am saying about "no studies that have found moderate pot use of a pg mother to have detrimental effects on baby." , is how many women did they use in the 'studies', and for how long were those children followed? A few days? I don't know, I don't think you could scrounge up enough pregnant women that would be ok enough to smoke pot for the sake of a study, at least not enough to get accurate data from it.

I don't know. I think one of the things that appeals to me about natural mamas (and I'm making this a crunchy issue, since midwifes are endorsing it) is that we will rarely do anything even close to 'iffy', for the sake and heath of our child. Hence natural child birth, not vaccinating, good diet, so on so on. Its unreal to me that anyone would even chance it with that nonsense.
Morning sickness sucks...but you work through it. Just like with labor. Its natural to feel like utter crap. We have 'trust birth, but Where are the 'trust pregnancy' advocates? haha. Anyway. I don't feel comfortable taking tylenol while pregnant, much less smoke weed.

I'll shut up now. Just had to get that off my chest.



So since it may be "natural" to feel suicidal, or have debilitating migraines, etc. then a person should just go with it??? I'm puzzled by your logic here.

As far as studies go, your argument is sound b/c YES, THE US GOVERNMENT WILL NOT ALLOW SUCH STUDIES. THEY DO NOT WANT EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE (that moderate exposure to marijuana) IS NOT HARMFUL TO GET OUT THERE.

Why? If you think it's to save babies, then you honestly have a lot to learn about WHY marijuana is illegal. OF COURSE such a study can't take place in this country. NO KIDDING.

However, not all countries are the U.S. Here is a study done in Jamaica.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm

QUite interesting. I'll let you read the Conclusion of the study yourself, as I'm not sure how much I can c&p w/out going against the UA.


Here is the woman, Dreher, that did the study in Jamaica explaining what you did. You don't even have to read it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WorIM0RhA

Also, even this from an ANTI-pot website (americanpregnancy.org) says this -

Quote:
What if I smoked marijuana before I knew I was pregnant: According to Dr. Richard S. Abram, author of Will it Hurt the Baby, "occasional use of marijuana during the first trimester is unlikely to cause birth defects." Once you are aware you are pregnant, you should stop smoking. Doing this will decrease the chance of harming your baby.


You can also see this:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/...ths/#pregnancy


This discusses why the US Government supresses evidence that studies showing lack of harmful effects are supressed. (No shocker there, like I said).

http://www.medicalcannabis.com/pregnancy.htm

And there is a study that took place in Canada as well. And again, the results showed a lack of negative effects.

It's quite fascinating actually. I used to think that pot must be illegal b/c it's bad. However, I educated myself on the War on Drugs (specifically to marijuana) it is is absolutely fascinating. "WHY is pot illegal" is one of the most interesting aspects of US History in fact.

So, since there really isn't evidence that pot IS bad, then I think it is best we all lay off the judgment, don't you?
post #51 of 112
Also, I would like to see a credible study that shows that marijuana exposure IS harmful.
post #52 of 112
In summary,

...the medical community should improve its research methodologies, be more thorough, conduct more cross-cultural studies, and refrain from being so quick to conclude without solid evidence that any amount of marijuana use--no matter how slight--during pregnancy will do lasting harm to both mother and child.
post #53 of 112
I like the 'it' question, but I think I have an answer.

I have no problem with pot, it's not my thing (although I admit to conducting some 'personal research' in high school!) but the 'it' that I would be afraid of is the legal repercussions of NON-PRESCRIBED marijuana use. ANY use of illegal drugs, including the abuse of illegally begotten prescription drugs (meaning not just Mj, heroine, whatnot) is grounds for CPS to take your kids. It's also (in some cases, with all sorts of circumstantial loopholes) sometimes grounds for YEARS in prison.

I agree with a pp, that marijuana is probably the lesser evil of many prescribed drugs, especially anti-depressants during pregnancy. However, I would have to be VERY sick before I would risk losing my baby to a corrupt foster system, and losing my freedom to the prison system.

Whether or not you agree with it, the law states that illegal drug use is grounds for being an incapable parent.
post #54 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
So since it may be "natural" to feel suicidal, or have debilitating migraines, etc. then a person should just go with it??? I'm puzzled by your logic here.
Please quote where I said it was natural to feel suicidal?
I SAID, I don't see where severe morning sickness warrants the use of an illegal substance (especially since we really don't know 'for sure' what the harm can be). Are you saying pot is strictly used in the case of a suicidal pregnant women?

Anyway, I'm not touching this subject anymore.
post #55 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiethridge View Post

I don't know. I think one of the things that appeals to me about natural mamas (and I'm making this a crunchy issue, since midwifes are endorsing it) is that we will rarely do anything even close to 'iffy', for the sake and heath of our child. Hence natural child birth, not vaccinating, good diet, so on so on. Its unreal to me that anyone would even chance it with that nonsense.
Morning sickness sucks...but you work through it. Just like with labor. Its natural to feel like utter crap. We have 'trust birth, but Where are the 'trust pregnancy' advocates? haha. Anyway. I don't feel comfortable taking tylenol while pregnant, much less smoke weed.

I'll shut up now. Just had to get that off my chest.
The thing is that there are some problems that require some medication. Obviously, you aren't aware of how bad morning sickness and migraine headaches can get. My migraine headaches cause me to lie in bed in excruciating pain wishing I were dead for three days straight, completely unable to take care of my daughter at any level whatsoever. I have passed out from the pain before. It was when I passed out from the pain, when my daughter was 2, and I woke up finding to realize that I didn't know how long she'd been wandering around the house alone, that I realized that "just working through it" wasn't enough.

And I've known women who have had such bad morning sickness that they haven't been able to keep down any food or water at all with out some kind of help. Obviously, that isn't too good for a pregnancy either.

It really drives me crazy when people speak out of this position of "just do what's natural and suffer through it" when they have NO IDEA how bad the suffering can get. It just simply isn't always possible.

So I take a narcotic prescription for my headaches. Now, I'm able to stay conscious to take care of my daughter, and I don't want to die when I get hit by a migraine. However, I'm pregnant and I'm taking strong medication. Maybe marijuana would be safer? Is there anyway to know? It's legal to take what I have, but it would be nice to have it be legal to take whatever is safest.
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiethridge View Post
Please quote where I said it was natural to feel suicidal?
I SAID, I don't see where severe morning sickness warrants the use of an illegal substance (especially since we really don't know 'for sure' what the harm can be). Are you saying pot is strictly used in the case of a suicidal pregnant women?

Anyway, I'm not touching this subject anymore.



I was the one who brought up suicidal, and it sort of evolved from there.

I also thought we were having a good conversation about this. You asked for some studies, I showed you studies. I feel that I've been respectful and now it seems that you are all huffy b/c I'm asking you for some studies that refute my studies.

I don't know...when someone says that they are not touching a subjec anymore, it seems to me that they don't truly have an interest in learning more about it.
post #57 of 112
You know.... (I'll just state that I don't think I can be convinced that smoking anything during pregnancy is risk free)

However, I had severe, debilitating migranes while pg. with my DD. Some yahoo at my Dr.'s office gave me script for a narcotic. I gave it back and told them to note in my file that I wouldn't take it. She said it was "perfectly safe" and I told her I might was well go do a few lines of coke if that was what she thought..

So, in terms of the line of thinking of legal vs. illegal drugs used during pregnancy, I'll give you that. Whos to say what is ok and not in that way? And who is going to be involved in a study to accurately determine what is ok? There is almost no way to know.


I'm actually all for the legalization of most drugs. That's another thread all together, but I am not convinced yet that the benefit of drugs on a viable pregnancy outweigh the risk, in this case.
post #58 of 112
Again, I take a narcotic prescription for migraines during pregnancy, and I truly need them or I'd be unable to function or supervise my daughter. I have passed out from the pain of migraines and woken up on the bathroom floor, not knowing how long I was out or what my daughter had been up to while I was out. I understand that taking any medication during pregnancy isn't without risk, but cocaine is proven to be extremely dangerous and the medicine I'm taking isn't anywhere in the same boat as that. I'm finding much of this thread to be dismissive of those of us who really do need medication to help us with serious problems during pregnancy.
post #59 of 112
I am returning this thread. Some posts have been removed for UA violations, and referring to the removed posts. Please keep the User Agreement in mind when posting. Thank you

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
post #60 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Her child, her body, her choice.
Normally I would agree with the her body, her choice part of this but when an unborn child is involved, I just don’t agree.

I have no problem with it in general and I think it’s fine if there is a real medical need while PG, It sounds like one of the safer options in some cases.

I think it’s awful if there is no medical need and she’s using for the heck of it. If she can't sacrifice her MJ habit for 9mos then I think she'll have a hard time with a lot of the sacrifices she'll have to make as a mom.

For me personally, I don’t think I could justify taking anything that was not absolutely necessary. And I’m certainly not judging those who felt it was necessary for them.

As far as your friendship with her, I’m not one for ditching friends who don’t agree with me or my ways. I’d have very few friends …

There is one exception … A friend of DH refuses to have children with his DW because she isn’t willing to wean off of morphine (for chronic pain) while pregnant … Her theory; she spoke with the Dr. and he said it’s no big deal, the baby will just go through withdraw after it’s born . She thought that was great, she wouldn’t have to go through withdraw and the pain, the baby could once it was born. She can’t understand why her DH won’t have kids with her … I can’t understand why he hasn’t ditched her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Her child, her body, her choice.
I wonder if people would hold their same opinion if the baby was born and she was smoking it around the baby …
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting: Moms who smokes dope...