or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 17

post #321 of 630
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI-SOFIA View Post
I was digestively challenged for all 38.5 weeks of my daughter's pregnancy. It was trying, maddening, depressing, but very doable. It is so beyond cliche to say that pregnancy/breastfeeding is a marathon - but it truly is...I'm still breastfeeding & my daughter is 11 months old. I think I may be pregnant again & have already had mini panic attacks about another year of "the sickness" - Zofran is awful & I found no relief. Does anyone have suggestions beyond the small meals, crackers, protein/complex carbs, exercise, etc.? Is there a tea or non-ginger supplemental secret? I can't keep down Raspberry Leaf tea during pregnancy...In it for the long haul....
Well, congratulations!!!! :

And sorry, no advice. Go into Stasis for 9 months?
post #322 of 630
I am happy to announce that it's been two whole weeks without any morning sickness! About time, I'm 30wks pg...
post #323 of 630
It seems my reprieve may be ending soon. My "magic bullet" craving is no longer a craving and my nausea is returning, though is not yet nearly what it was- no vomiting beyond once in the morning.
DH (not ds1's bio-dad and we were separated for most of ds2's pregnancy) had the brainstorm of telling me yesterday "Boy, you really slim out when you get pregnant." :
post #324 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniTate View Post
No one has done acupuncture before???????
Yes, I was receiving treatments two to three times a week at one point. I found that it did indeed provide relief, but usually not until the next day. Typically, I would vomit immediately after the treatment then feel great 12 hours later.

I'm now avoiding it because of that vomiting when I return. My HG has hit a place that if I start to vomit, I can't seem to stop.
post #325 of 630
Hey Mamas,
I have been out of the loop for...err...how long and am logging back in today for moral support. I am beginning to feel that I am at the end of my rope. I feel like I'm beginning to lose it mentally. You all know how it is... my 3 yo DD watches movies all day (we didn't even have television until this preg) and eats mac and cheese five days a week. I am 14 weeks yesterday and don't feel any relief. My HG lasted until about 6 months with preg #1.

Much of the time, I have trouble remembering why this is worth it. It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill. Then I realize I'm not terminally ill but wonder if I would ever be able to handle it if I were (being that I'm so terrible at this).

I just went through and read the posts I've missed over the last 2...3...4 weeks (???) and it made me cry to read the posts about the meal after labor. OMG, the thought of being nausea free is truly blissful. Of course, I usually cannot actually imagine this. But, in theory, it would be good.

So...I think I'm done venting. Now I have a question about Zofran. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if it's helping me or not. But I'm scared to stop taking it and see what happens to me. So far during this pregnancy, the vomiting has been much less than the first but the nausea has been far worse. I don't know if the reduction in vomiting is due to the Zofran or just a different HG pregnancy. And I definitely don't want to be taking all this medication if I don't need it. Any suggestions? If I do start vomiting, it is often hard for me to stop and just that thought makes me anxious.

Okay, question two: what about sex? My poor husband has been denied for months now. Have any of you ladies been able to DTD? And if so, what got you through it? Haha. My husband insists it might distract me from the nausea. I insist that just him rolling over in the bed at night makes my stomach turn. I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on this.

Blessings-
post #326 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post
So...I think I'm done venting. Now I have a question about Zofran. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if it's helping me or not. But I'm scared to stop taking it and see what happens to me. So far during this pregnancy, the vomiting has been much less than the first but the nausea has been far worse. I don't know if the reduction in vomiting is due to the Zofran or just a different HG pregnancy. And I definitely don't want to be taking all this medication if I don't need it. Any suggestions? If I do start vomiting, it is often hard for me to stop and just that thought makes me anxious.

Okay, question two: what about sex? My poor husband has been denied for months now. Have any of you ladies been able to DTD? And if so, what got you through it? Haha. My husband insists it might distract me from the nausea. I insist that just him rolling over in the bed at night makes my stomach turn. I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on this.

Blessings-

On the first count: sometimes I can make it without the Zofran. Some mornings I just kinda "test" to see if I can get out of bed, sit in the kitchen to read the paper, etc. But other mornings (like recently) all it takes is the MENTION of food to set me off. For example, 3 y.o. DD came into our bedroom and said, "Scrambled eggs? Scrambled eggs?" I knew immediately I needed to get to the Zofran or I'd be very sick. Which is sad cause I majorly craved eggs while pg with DD. I haven't craved anything this time.

I do every once in awhile have a string of 2 or even 3 good days where I feel pretty good and don't seem to need the meds. I have to be careful not to overdo it while I feel good, though, cause then I wind up paying for it later. Rescue Remedy sometimes helps, too.

On the second count: I have no advice to give here! My DH has a weak stomach and so keeps his distance, LOL.

I am 39 wks, 1 day today and praying that I will feel as good as some of the other mommas have said they felt after delivery.
post #327 of 630
I tried accupuncture, but only once or twice. I was so nauseous during the procedure that all I could think about was trying not to vomit there on the table. It was very hard to get out of the house and get treatment without throwing up in the car. For me, with the level of severity I experienced, it was not worth the effort.

You will feel so good when it is suddenly over and you have that baby in your arms! It was like having a terrible stomach bug for over six months and then suddenly, no more vomiting and the most beautiful baby girl in the world in my arms. It was hard to tell why I was euphoric -- our new daughter or freedom from nausea.
post #328 of 630
s: mountaingirlbl--very normal feelings. not much does good for the nausea, sadly. but don't stop as the vomiting is a lot worse on your health overall an the zofran does prevent that.

Quote:
It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill.
very normal. truly. I still feel that way some days (I'm only 6 months into recovery--they say 2 months per 1 month you had HG so I have a ways to go).

on the second question, I didn't find sex to be nauseating. in fact it was one of 2 things that made me happy (sleep being the other) so we did plenty. DH was so thrilled that the less-attractive parts of HG apparently didn't bother him (unbrushed teeth, vomit smell, etc).
post #329 of 630

new member here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post

Much of the time, I have trouble remembering why this is worth it. It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill.
TOTALLY. ITA. I've cried those words so many times over the past 6 mos.

Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself, as I can't remember if I have yet or if I have just been lurking

I am 28.5 weeks (been sick since 6 weeks) and have never been diagnosed with HG (nor would I diagnose myself, I am a midwife) but I definetly have ENV. After trying every natural option under the sun (god am I sick of the "have you tried...."), I've been trying the local medical options here that my OB recommended...even a pre-dehydration IV, but they haven't helped a ton-- some, but not enough. SO yesterday I went in sobbing (he didn't even look at me, doctors ....how am I gonna do this for another 3 months....there must be something stronger....have you heard of zofran....do you have that here in Malaysia?......So today I started zofran and unless this is just a fluke and I'll be back to retching tomorrow, I feel great. Not even a dry heave yet and it's 2pm. I am usually much better in the afternoon anyway.

I am planning an illegal homebirth here...flying in my friend and midwife at 40 weeks. If baby comes sooner I will go to the hospital. Anyone else feel like they totally don't have the strength to labor and push this baby out? I am seriously doubting myself and my abilities after feeling so nutritionally and emotionally depleted with this sickness.

Thanks for this tribe-- I feel less alone

Love,
Vanessa
post #330 of 630
Quote:
Anyone else feel like they totally don't have the strength to labor and push this baby out? I am seriously doubting myself and my abilities after feeling so nutritionally and emotionally depleted with this sickness.
oh yes. right up to the very end when I was being transported to the hospital via ambulence begging for a c-section because I truly believed I couldn't do it. Luckily for me, I guess, the tiny hospital here was having a busy memorial day weekend and 2 other births and wasn't in any position to accomodate my desire for c-section and the doctor I got said I could do it and had better start pushing. what my body didn't have the energy for was the placenta and that took manual extraction with a lot of pitocin to stop the hemorrhaging.
post #331 of 630
Poor Vannessa! I'm really hoping for your sake the Zofran helps you and you can get the strength you need. My last HG pregnancy I was in and out of the hospital my entire second trimester. Then in my last month my HG went away and I felt great! I was eating healthy and exercising and totally preparing for the birth. I almost threw up once in labor, but that was just before he was born and I'm told it's normal, lol. I've been sick this time up until the last few weeks (I'm 7mo) and I'm hopeful for another healthy delivery.
post #332 of 630
I was talking to my SIL about my baby fever. She had undiagnosed HG with her daughter. Anyway, she said that she thinks the best time to get pregnant again and deal with HG would either be when DD is 6mo or 4yrs. What do you all think about this?
post #333 of 630
Oh my gosh I am SOOOOOOO happy to see this thread in existence!

I had HG with my first 2 and no one believed me. No one knew what it was.

Blessings to you all, mamas! I am PG with my 4th and praying this doesn't happen again but it will be so wonderful to have a support group! :
post #334 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I was talking to my SIL about my baby fever. She had undiagnosed HG with her daughter. Anyway, she said that she thinks the best time to get pregnant again and deal with HG would either be when DD is 6mo or 4yrs. What do you all think about this?
I dunno. I never expected to deal with this, since I didn't have it with DD (now 3.5 y.o.) But she is able to fend for herself on days when there is absolutely no other way. I've had to learn to make sure all the exterior doors are secure and that TiVO will default to a safe channel when her programs end. But it's true she can dress herself, get herself a drink and/or food, answer the phone in a pinch, etc. She even brings me cold cloths when I'm throwing up. My sweet girl.

Maybe if your SIL got pg again she wouldn't have HG again. That's what I would hope for, anyway.
post #335 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I was talking to my SIL about my baby fever. She had undiagnosed HG with her daughter. Anyway, she said that she thinks the best time to get pregnant again and deal with HG would either be when DD is 6mo or 4yrs. What do you all think about this?
4 yrs. A 6 mo old is still very much dependent on their mother. My 3 and 4 yr old seem to be managing ok. I don't know if what I have would count as HG, but with every pregnancy I have really bad m/s and vomiting for the entire pregnancy. Right now my kids can find ways to entertain themselves. If they are hungry, I can at least set them up with food and not have to feed them. hey have their toys, I have DVDs and DVR if I get really desperate. 4 yr old is potty trained, 3 yr old is mostly potty trained (still needs help getting pants up and down). They are more independent. I found it MUCH more difficult to deal with the m/s and vomiting when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. My kids are 18 mo apart, and chasing around a toddler was much more exhausting and frustrating for me, b/c I had to keep an eye on him at all times.
post #336 of 630
I have been off of my Zofran pump for a week tonight. I had a breakdown last week when two infusion sites went bad within a couple of hours and I couldn't find a "good" place to put another one. I took an 8mg Zofran pill that night and have only needed one more since then! I am so very grateful to be feeling better, I feel like there is hope again, like I have my life back!
post #337 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
Maybe if your SIL got pg again she wouldn't have HG again. That's what I would hope for, anyway.
Oh my SIL doesn't have baby fever and doesn't plan on having any more kids. I'm the one thinking about getting pregnant again. I had HG with the first. She's going to be 12 weeks old.

She was saying that at 6mo old they are dependent as far as feeding/diapering, but they also can entertain themselves pretty well with toys and such. And at 4 they're independent enough that you don't have to worry as much. But in between that she's says they can be a bit of a handful with tantrums and learning how to express themselves, walk, etc.

It just seems to me that at 4 they'd be more likely to remember things and mom going through HG might be a traumatic experience (IVs, hospitals, lots of puking, etc.) So I was leaning more towards the 6 mo option, if I'm even fertile at that point.

But maybe I'm crazy?
post #338 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
Oh my SIL doesn't have baby fever and doesn't plan on having any more kids. I'm the one thinking about getting pregnant again. I had HG with the first. She's going to be 12 weeks old.

She was saying that at 6mo old they are dependent as far as feeding/diapering, but they also can entertain themselves pretty well with toys and such. And at 4 they're independent enough that you don't have to worry as much. But in between that she's says they can be a bit of a handful with tantrums and learning how to express themselves, walk, etc.

It just seems to me that at 4 they'd be more likely to remember things and mom going through HG might be a traumatic experience (IVs, hospitals, lots of puking, etc.) So I was leaning more towards the 6 mo option, if I'm even fertile at that point.

But maybe I'm crazy?
The thing is though, that just b/c the baby is 6 mo old when you get pregnant, they won't just STAY 6 mo old for the rest of the pregnancy. They will be toddlers by the end of the pregnancy, walking and running around, and that means you have to chase after them constantly to make sure they stay out of trouble. I got pg when my son was 9 mo old, and it was just really hard to have to chase him around all the time while feeling sick. Also, I don't know about how you feel about BFing. I was still BFing too and it was not only hard, b/c of the nausea and vomiting, but it was physically painful too (sore nipples from pregnancy). I ended up weaning him during my 2nd trimester, b/c my milk dried up and I was secretly happy to wean, b/c it was just so uncomfortable.

You would be amazed. My 3 yr old and almost 5 yr old have a lot of empathy for me right now. Yes, they do get rowdy. However, if I tell them I am not feeling well and need to lay down or rest, they will come over to me to give me a hug or kiss and show their sympathy. I think that preschoolers are naturally very empathetic.
post #339 of 630
I would never purposefully get pregnant when my baby was only 6mths. I can not even imgaine how hard it would to be that sick and take care of a baby. Plus, I would be so scared my milk would dry up and at 6mths my baby would most likely still be exclusively bf'ed (that would be a concern regardless of hg). I waited until my dd was 3.5 before getting pregnant with our 2nd and my 2nd was 4 (closer to 5) when I got pregnant with our 3rd. It's important that my kids be able to fend for themselves so to speak before I'm pregnant. I'm pretty much useless until I'm 5mths along.
My oldest would mock me puking, so not overly empathetic. But she would let me rest and not jump on me and stuff. I think it was hard for my 2nd to watch me being so sick and he did not handle it as well as my oldest. he was sweet though but concerned which made me feel quite guilty.

Big 's to all of you going through this right now.
post #340 of 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post

You will feel so good when it is suddenly over and you have that baby in your arms! It was like having a terrible stomach bug for over six months and then suddenly, no more vomiting and the most beautiful baby girl in the world in my arms. It was hard to tell why I was euphoric -- our new daughter or freedom from nausea.
That is exactly how I felt when my last two were born. I was blissfully ignorant of HG with my first two pregnancies. My third was my first HG experience. It was worse with my fourth and this one, my fifth, has been awful.

When my fourth was born, her labor was the first time in 9 months I had felt hungry. The hospital wouldn't let me eat during labor. By the time she was actually born I wasn't sure which I was more relieved about ~ her being healthy, or me getting breakfast! I lost 25 lbs with her pregnancy.

This time I'm almost 14 weeks and have already lost 22 lbs. I managed to eat today and yesterday and that has been a major improvement for me. I'm really excited and proud of myself for getting food down and keeping it down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting)