Originally Posted by moneca
mbravebird - Can I ask what your symptoms were? I'm wondering if you also had a mold that produced neurotoxins and if the airfree cleared those symptoms as well. I think I'm going to by an airfree as I've tried a couple different air purifiers now. The largest one, platinum 2000, only covers 500sq ft. Our house is about 1200 and the mold is growing in an open area. I hope it will still do the trick.
I'm not sure, but I was thinking ours wasn't the neurotoxin kind -- we had respiratory issues, got sick easily, and I was just always stuffy. Our mold was in our crawlspace, so we put two of the airfrees down there. We had a 1200 sf house at the time.
It takes a couple of weeks for the full reduction in mold spores to happen with the Airfree, but once it happens it stays at those low levels, which is different from a filter. Filters can't keep the mold spores at low levels consistently, apparently.
You know about TTO and vinegar and grapefruit seed extract being more effective against mold than bleach, right? Another thing I considered doing was using a room diffuser to disperse TTO around the space. I never did that, though, although I think it's a good idea for large spaces where you can't touch every single space where the mold is.
We're using the airfree now in our garage in our current house, where some mold cropped up this summer and really threw us for a loop physically. *That* mold definitely felt stronger than the last kind. I was immediately sick after working in the garage last month, and am still recovering. Foggy headed, tired, immediate sore throat (those all resolved), and susceptibility to illness continuing. I put the airfree down there a few weeks ago and haven't had the courage to go back yet, but maybe I'll give it a try soon and let you know how it seems to be working on the more toxic-feeling mold. I'm assuming it will work well -- it can't tell the difference between the two molds, right?
The company I bought the Airfree from did their own tests on it -- they put it in a room with a block of cheese left out, and even after months the cheese hadn't molded. So it must do some good at preventing mold growth on surfaces in addition to clearing the air.
Good luck with all this! HTH.