or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2008 › Should I Just Schedule a C Section?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I Just Schedule a C Section? - Page 2

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
My doctor cannot allow me to go past 42 weeks.

Do you agree with this as a medical decision? If not- he can NOT drop you at that point if you decline an induction or section.

-Angela
post #22 of 43
Crossposted- hmmm.... personally I would not agree to a medical induction OR section to keep a care provider.

Could you "find" an "old calendar" to move your LMP and change your due date a bit?

wink wink nudge nudge?

-Angela
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Thank you for these links.

My doctor is a family practitioner. She will lose her delivery privilages at the hospital if she lets me go past 42 weeks. Those are the rules. She told me that she would love to let me go longer, but she has to follow the hospitals rules. I want to keep her for the delivery instead of getting passed onto to an OB.
Oh, that does suck. Are you sure and certain of your dates? Could your FP fudge it by a few days? Is she willing to?

Who would do your c/s if you ended up having one? Surely not your FP?

I would definitely try getting acupuncture every two days or so. You could also do acupressure on yourself. Just ask the acupuncturist to show you exactly where to press, and mark it with a marker, sticker, bandaid, or something like that.

I wouldn't try the castor oil again, really. If it didn't work the first time, I'd move on. Plenty of other things to try.

And also,
relax.

Have a bath. And maybe a glass of wine. And a nap. And relax.

Don't give up just yet, and even if you do have to get induced, that's NOT a guaranteed recipe for a c/s. So definitely don't give up on a vaginal/natural birth just yet.
post #24 of 43
Not in your DDC but .. Just because it doesn't look good now doesn't mean it won't. When I was pregnant with DD I had an appointment at 39 weeks 5 days and the ob told me I wasn't dialted at all or effaced at all. The OB didn't think I would go naturally and they set up a date for an induction for a week and a half from that day. I had DD on her due date two days later. The OB couldn't believe it. It happens, just believe in yourself.
post #25 of 43
Not in your DDC, but I couldn't read and not post.

Are you 100%, absolutely, no-doubt-about-it positive of your dates?

I was induced with my first and I had Pitocin, but no epidural and never any suggestion/threat of a c-section. Pitocin does work in many cases, and while it does increase your risk of c-section, it's not as if Pitocin = epidural and/or c-section.
post #26 of 43
I was induced twice, and I had uncomplicated vaginal births both times.
Labor started spontaneously for me the third time (water broke, contrax started), and I ended up with a c-section due to umbilical cord prolapse.
So... induction can and does work and certainly doesn't always end in c-section. I would chose induction over c-section if I could
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
Not in your DDC, but I just wanted to say that a "term" baby is from 37 or 38 (depending on who you ask) to 42 weeks. Technically a baby isn't even overdue until 42 weeks 1 day. Try not to worry mama, this baby will come.
yeh that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Thank you for these links.

My doctor is a family practitioner. She will lose her delivery privilages at the hospital if she lets me go past 42 weeks. Those are the rules. She told me that she would love to let me go longer, but she has to follow the hospitals rules. I want to keep her for the delivery instead of getting passed onto to an OB.
she cant drop you at this point though. and just b/c she has to go by the rules doesnt mean you have to.
post #28 of 43
I was induced with DS (foley and pitocin) and unfortunately it did end up in a C/S. I VBACed and was induced also. I had my waters broken this time and DD was born after 4 hours of labor. Also, my cervix was only 20%dilated one day and when I went in for induction it was suddenly at 80%...it can change real fast.

Good luck to you, I understand you are frustrated.
post #29 of 43
This is a wild suggestion. Don't feel like you have to do it. I know a lot of ppl aren't comfortable questioning their dr's. but hey there's nothing wrong with a 2nd opinion. I would personally call the hospital and ask them if it's true that she will lose her privs if she lets you go past 42 wks. "Trust with verification " is what I always say. There are risks for both induction and c-section and I would just call and ask who is the supervisor of obstetrics and ask them do those outweigh being overdue and if so how. It's your baby and your birth and I think it's worth a phone call. I think statistically speaking it's very rare for someone to go past 42 weeks. If there is some wiggle room with the due date, I'd try to hold off as long as I could safely wait. They tell me no one has remained pregnant forever but I'm not sure I could wait 42 weeks to see my LOs.

I have been induced 2x. I highly prefer that to c-section. I figure might as well try for the vaginal birth if you can have it. I prefer the gel method to the pitocin. Ask about all your options. Some ppl have their membranes stripped. Make a plan. babies have this wonderful way of doing things their way.

My oldest made her entrance right before we were scheduled to have external version and a possible c-section if my water broke. Well she broke my water before they could turn her.

Good Luck with your birth!
post #30 of 43
Hugs mama!

I read the replies really, really quickly so I may have missed it, but have you tried a chiropractor? I think there are adjustments they can make to help encourage labor.

If not, as a mama who was forced along the c-section path (the last one was over 6 weeks ago and resulted in a staph infection and a wound that is just now starting to heal) I would try to avoid it. Ultimately, I say go with your gut, but c-section recovery really sucks, and if you can do anything to avoid it, I would. Have faith in yourself and your baby. You can do it!!!!!!!
post #31 of 43
She can insist but you can insist right back that you wont be induced like the others have said you do not have to agree to anything. It isnt like she can put a gun to your head and say show up.

If you dont want to be induced refuse it. They cannot take away her privaladges if you refuse. They can only do so if she makes it a habit of "letting" her patients go past the cut off point.

Sounds to me like she is bullying you a bit even though she says she wishes she could let you go past 42 weeks. She works for you not the other way around.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Thank you for these links.

My doctor is a family practitioner. She will lose her delivery privilages at the hospital if she lets me go past 42 weeks. Those are the rules. She told me that she would love to let me go longer, but she has to follow the hospitals rules. I want to keep her for the delivery instead of getting passed onto to an OB.
i understand wanting to keep your doctor because you know her and feel comfortable. but keep in mind that during your labor, you'll hardly see your doctor at all. she'll come in to check on you sporadically, and then be there to catch your baby. the nurses will be the ones who you see the most, and chances are, you haven't met any of them. just a thought!
i've been where you are now. i know how depressing it is to go past your due date, especially if you're feeling miserable/large/bloated, etc. i would do anything in my power to avoid a c-section. they are no fun to recover from, especially if you'll only have 4 weeks of maternity leave. good luck to you .
post #33 of 43
Haven't read the above. i was induced and had a natural birth anyway (LONG labor but no c-section). There is no reason to believe that you'll end up with a c-section just because you're induced.

Sounds like you're knowledgable and that certainly increases your odds of birthing the way you want to.

42 weeks is not unusual, most agree that is a deadline that you should follow.
post #34 of 43
(Saw this in new posts, barging from November DDC)

I think you should do a lot of research and reading about different induction methods and see which sound the most tolerable to you. One common method is cervidil overnight to ripen the cervix, then pitocin starting the next morning. As many PPs have said, not all inductions end in c-section. Don't let them break your water, since it puts you on the clock and has not really been proven to "move things along," especially when done early.

For what it's worth, my first client as a doula was an induction, and although it wasn't what she wanted it went really well and was a beautiful natural labor and vaginal birth.
post #35 of 43
Not in your DDC, but I just wanted to let you know that my sister was induced last week, and she had her second vaginal birth by induction. An induction isn't just shorthand for emergency c/s. Really.
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendora View Post
Not in your DDC, but I just wanted to let you know that my sister was induced last week, and she had her second vaginal birth by induction. An induction isn't just shorthand for emergency c/s. Really.

it may not be in many cases, but in many more it is unfortunately the first step along the way to a c/s. Im not saying it always is...but it is good to realize that your risks of a c/s do increase w/ an induction.

im glad your sister was able to birth vaginally and avoid a c/s. I just see so many times where that is not the case.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
it may not be in many cases, but in many more it is unfortunately the first step along the way to a c/s. Im not saying it always is...but it is good to realize that your risks of a c/s do increase w/ an induction.

im glad your sister was able to birth vaginally and avoid a c/s. I just see so many times where that is not the case.
Thanks for that.

Speaking of risk, you know what will 100% guarantee a c/s?

Scheduling one.
post #38 of 43
Sorry to barge, saw this in new posts.

I just wanted to say I was induced at 42 weeks and I did not have a section. I did the cervidil and got to 4 cm before I needed pitocin.

You can still have a good birth with an induction. You have already decided what you want to do. Trust your instincts.

If you are thinking the induction is the way to go whether or not you end up with a section, then I think you should just schedule it.

It seems like it is very important to have your own doctor deliver your baby regardless of the outcome (section after induction or not).
post #39 of 43
I had a sucessful induction at 41weeks, i wasnt more then a fingertip dialated, only 50% effaced and still had a high cervix. Ds was born 26rs after i signed into the hospital for my induction. I never once had anyone suggest a c/s, I controled when I went on pit and when i got my epi (i didnt do it until after midnight, and i was already past 5cm by then) and they let me labor down as i slept with my epi. When they checked me after 5hrs of sleeping, ds was at +2 station and we had to wait for the OB to arrive.

so all I can say is try, and really, a c/s after trying the induction isnt the end of the world, and the trial of labor is actually benificial to your infants lungs.
post #40 of 43

My last induction turned out great

My water broke, there was no sign of labor, so I was induced with Cervadil.

It worked really well and I delivered a few hours later.

My recovery was incredible. I felt so good (and so relieved not to be pregnant anymore)

I was afraid after my first induction (which did lead to a c-section) but it ended up going really well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2008
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2004 - 2008  › August 2008 › Should I Just Schedule a C Section?