I'm Baaaa-aaaack!Let's see if I can make it a whole month this time.
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of September.
I'm a SAHM to one. DH just survived one round of lay-offs, but his standing is still tenuous. I'm cutting back on spending so that we can form a safety net to catch us should the unthinkable happen. We also need to make some home improvements so that, if necessary, we can sell our house in this competitive market.
2. No spending is hard work. You need a plan. Please tell us your game plan -- how do you plan to approach no spending for a month?
1. Eat in. Cook in the morning, when Dd is in an agreeable mood. The exception will be a standing lunch date that the family has every Tuesday, which ranges from 6-7 dollars at a pizza-by-the-slice cafe. We will pack water and snacks when we have to run errands.
2. Abandon my regular business at the Snooty-Mart and grocery shop instead at the Cheapie-Mart.
3. Strive for 3/7 no-driving days per week.
4. Give up some of our expensive staples--e.g. blueberries , micro-brew beer , pine nuts , need I continue ?
5. For necessary purchases like clothing and household items, check first at thrift and consignment shops, (but only at the ones near my house so that I'm not burning gas)!
6. ETA: Grocery trips will be weekly and not exceed $120.00.
3. Be specific! What are your goals? How many no spend days is right for you? Do you have a savings goal? Debt repayment goal?
1. $500.00 per month in savings.
2. I'll strive for 7/7 no-spend days, (yes, Virginia, it's possible!) but not beat myself up if I end up with 5-6/7.
= no unnecessary spending today.
= unnecessary spending today.
: = no-drive day.
September 1: But only a minor faux-pas. I forgot to pack snacks, caved, and bought a 99-cent box of Jelly Bellies!
2nd My, my! We're not off to a good start this month! DD was driving me CRAZY, and I had to get out tonight to work on a speech I'm writing, and only the expensive coffee shops were open. I ended up spending $4.71 at Starsucks.
4th $110.00 in groceries
6th I'm not sure which face to put up. I needed bras. Did I need the good kind from Victoria's Secret at $132.00 for three of them?
7th $10.00 church collection
8th : Wrote big fat hairy check to mortgage company :
9th $7.00 for weekly lunch date, (feeds three of us!) and nearly $6.00 for a storage caddy for some household clutter.
10th $110 in necessary groceries, $40.00 in necessary gas, $3.00 on an unnecessary latte.
11th : Paid one bill.
13th Sugar-crashed. No food. In car. Needed. Latte. Scone. Now!! $6.33.