or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Birth Stories › Non-ideal, non-traumatic, UC transfer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-ideal, non-traumatic, UC transfer - Page 2

post #21 of 40
Beautiful name!
Beautiful baby!
Beautiful Mama!

Wow! Your little girl made quite an entrance! She really wanted to extend the birth-bonding process!!! Enjoy your precious early days with her!
post #22 of 40
Hey, Liz! : Jake was the birth my contrax weren't working right and I ended up w/ the epidural, etc. He was born OA, but he was also asynclitic. Now my pelvis passed an OP + nuchal hand baby before him, so he was able to come out asynclitic. Maybe your girly was asynclitic or otherwise not optimally positioned up until you pushed her out. My midwife was telling me there was a recent study released where they took u/s DURING labor and found that babies still turn around quite a bit even during active labor. So just cuz she was born OA doesn't mean she was there the whole time. :

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about it. Sounds like it wasn't too bad other than the pushing on your back and tearing. btdt. Bring home a sitz bath if they offer you one. Or just get in the tub several times a day.

Hope I get to meet her!
post #23 of 40
I am going to sound like everyone else here...that's one of the most gorgeous newborns I've ever seen!!! Enjoy your babymoon! :

The first time is usually the hardest...I have a good friend whose birth was similar to yours in that she was planning a UC with her first and wound up transferring 30+ hours with nearly identical interventions to yours! She did go on to have two very easy UCs after that!

With my first the contractions hurt like &*^(% right from the beginning. I was up and moaning for what felt like the whole day. And the MW got there and I was only like 2-3. By the end I was so exhausted!

Then, with my second, I had little wimpy prodomal contractions like the whole day, and then they kicked in and they started to hurt. I called the MW telling her don't worry about coming right away because last time it was the next day. Well, she ignored me (suspecting I was farther along than I felt I was) and showed up anyhow and barely made the birth! The same thing happened with my #3...though I anticipated it better. It only hurt for about an hour with the last two kiddos, a complete contrast to the first!
post #24 of 40
Congrats! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Hey, Liz! : Jake was the birth my contrax weren't working right and I ended up w/ the epidural, etc. He was born OA, but he was also asynclitic. Now my pelvis passed an OP + nuchal hand baby before him, so he was able to come out asynclitic. Maybe your girly was asynclitic or otherwise not optimally positioned up until you pushed her out. My midwife was telling me there was a recent study released where they took u/s DURING labor and found that babies still turn around quite a bit even during active labor. So just cuz she was born OA doesn't mean she was there the whole time. :

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about it. Sounds like it wasn't too bad other than the pushing on your back and tearing. btdt. Bring home a sitz bath if they offer you one. Or just get in the tub several times a day.
Yes, to all of this.

My understanding of back labor is that it is pain in the back caused by the baby's spine pressing against your spine, and that is why it continues between contractions. So pain that subsides between contractions is not considered back labor - again, this is just my understanding. I've read of some women who feel contractions in their thighs of all the odd places, and not their uterus, so it makes sense one could feel contractions in their back too. In both my labors I felt contractions in my back as well as my uterus, but I had a lumbar fusion 15 years ago and have ongoing back issues, so I've always chalked it up to that. Oh, and my first baby was posterior, and I'm not sure about the second since she arrived before the mw made it, but I have HUGE hips (in the words of my doula for dd1), so lots of room for baby and therefore they weren't grinding against my spine. So no back pain in between contractions for me, thank goodness.
post #25 of 40
CONGRATS!!!
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
the sensation of my spinal cord being slowly sawed in half. :
That's actually a pretty good description.

Congrats on your baby Sapphire .. I Like her name too.
post #27 of 40
Congratulations on your daughter! It sure sounds like back labor to me.
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I don't know about you, but I didn't feel anything in my UTERUS. :P Sorry, kind of busy with the sensation of my spinal cord being slowly sawed in half. :

Oh, and btw, she's beautiful!
OMG this was totally Paddy's birth!!! Like someone else mentioned, it was like being in transition the WHOLE TIME. Even though his WAS a traumatic hospital birth, I don't think I could have stuck it out at home either and probably would have transferred just like Sapphire Chan did.

She is sooooo cute!!!!!! Enjoy your baby girl! Fleur likes to eat her hands too, she frequently wakes up with one hand in her mouth and resists me moving it away (but then gets mad when she can't get the boob because her hand is in the way )
post #29 of 40
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:::


She is absolutely beautiful Mama!!!

Sweet Lina!!
post #30 of 40
I am so happy for you Congrats!
post #31 of 40
Mazel tov!!! Welcome to the world little one!
post #32 of 40
Congratulations! Sorry that it didn't go as planned but I'm glad you're both doing well.

Dd#2 was OP most my (very long) labor and the pain was horrendous (ended up HB transfer CBAC, and she wasn't healthy). Dd#3 was a very easy hospital VBA2C, she was in a good position and the contractions were so much easier that it wasn't until I was 7cm that I really believed I was in labor (had prodromal labor all weekend before she was born)
post #33 of 40
i was looking for your story!

sorry that you had to transfer, but it certainly soundns like what was best for you!

and *I love* her name! she's a beauty!
post #34 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Hey, Liz! : Jake was the birth my contrax weren't working right and I ended up w/ the epidural, etc. He was born OA, but he was also asynclitic. Now my pelvis passed an OP + nuchal hand baby before him, so he was able to come out asynclitic. Maybe your girly was asynclitic or otherwise not optimally positioned up until you pushed her out. My midwife was telling me there was a recent study released where they took u/s DURING labor and found that babies still turn around quite a bit even during active labor. So just cuz she was born OA doesn't mean she was there the whole time. :

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about it. Sounds like it wasn't too bad other than the pushing on your back and tearing. btdt. Bring home a sitz bath if they offer you one. Or just get in the tub several times a day.

Hope I get to meet her!
Asynclitic? Off to Google...
Dh says she had her hand by her shoulder and he thinks that's what caused the tear.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Asynclitic? Off to Google...
Dh says she had her hand by her shoulder and he thinks that's what caused the tear.
That's probably why it was taking so long, too. She may have had her hand up above her head of something so she couldn't engage until she moved it down. KWIM?
post #36 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
That's probably why it was taking so long, too. She may have had her hand up above her head of something so she couldn't engage until she moved it down. KWIM?
Goodness knows her hand is always in the way now that she's out.
post #37 of 40
She is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations!!!
post #38 of 40
Welcome to the World, Little One! Great Job, Sapphire! No matter what you call it, contractions in your back STINK.
post #39 of 40
Was that Methodist you went to? How did the nurses treat you? I did my midwifery practicum there, and it was at least cool that they had midwives, but some of the nursing staff was pretty stubborn about doing things their way. Beautiful baby, by the way!!!
post #40 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothmommy View Post
Was that Methodist you went to? How did the nurses treat you? I did my midwifery practicum there, and it was at least cool that they had midwives, but some of the nursing staff was pretty stubborn about doing things their way. Beautiful baby, by the way!!!
I think they assumed that I'd know all about staying in a hospital and I didn't. For instance, I didn't find out until our last day there that I could go to get Lina when it was time to feed her instead of waiting for them (2 nurses with 5-6 babies at a time) to have a chance to bring her to me. (She got bililights which is many levels of stupidity*, but the doctor's fault not the nurses fault.)


(*many, many,....many, many levels of stupidity)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth Stories
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Birth Stories › Non-ideal, non-traumatic, UC transfer