or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › The Power of Probiotics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Power of Probiotics - Page 25

post #481 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
i guess i wasn't specific enough... i was wondering how the kefir grain came to be... why hasn't it been possible to re-create one?
I found a lead on this issue and I'll post if I can figure it out. It looks like, in fact, God may not have handed these down from Heaven.
post #482 of 567
i'm really sorry, you guys must be sick of answering yogurt questions! BUT i have one anyway! i'm not sure what went wrong please tell me. i'm thinking that possibly my probiotics may not be good.

I heated whole, organic, local milk to 185F, cooled it to 120F and added 4 caps (powder from) of probiotic (refridgerated, name brand I can't remember right now, supposedly active living culture) and 3 caps of a store brand kind. I didn't have any yogurt but was excited to try and read that yogurt wasn't neccesary when adding powder probiotics. So I added that and gently mixed it in a thermos. I placed it in a warm place overnight (about 8 hours) and when I checked it this AM it was still liquid but the temp was good (98F). Did I do something wrong or did I get ripped off on my probiotics? All help is GREATLY appreciated!
post #483 of 567
118 degrees starting killing live bacteria so perhaps too hot.

How much milk? Maybe not enough to get it going.

What sort of bacterial strains? Only certain strains will cause the casein protein micelles to gel and create a thick texture. Did it taste different/more tart? That way you can tell if you have "acidophilus" milk, essentially a cultured milk drink with live probiotics, but not the strains that will gel.
post #484 of 567
Jane, Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I didin't realize 118 was the point, I was thinking I had read higher, that could certainly have been the problem. I have tried again and the yogurt from today looks very promising although I haven't tasted it.

The probiotics I'm using are UAS Labs DDS-100 Lactobacillus acidophilus 1g (says over 2 billion active at manufacture) and FOS 50mg. Also a Proprietary Blend of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Bilfidobacterium Bifdum, and Streptococcus Thermpohilus and FOS is listed as an other ingredient.

This time I used 1Qt whole, organic, non homoginized milk, heated to 185 and cooled to 112. I added 3 caps of the Blend and 4 of the DDS as well as 2 TBS of Dannon Plain Yogurt. I put it in a Thermos and sat it outside all day (12 hours). It was hot here so I'm hoping not too hot. Anyway, it had a nice creamy smell and was mostly pourable but thick.

I am wondering how it should taste in comparison to the store bought Dannon. Also the middle batch I did was not as thick as this but I tried it and it was like poorly dissolved chalk. NASTY! I couldn't even swollow. This one appeared to have a bit of grainyness but not as bad. Is that just the consistancy of homemade yogurt? Is there a way to make it creamy? I'm big on texture and I don't think I can handle it. Will another batch from this yogurt be better? THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for you help! I am very happy to have found this thread and hope to be well on my way to healthier living with yogurt!!
post #485 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639
Jane, Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I didin't realize 118 was the point, I was thinking I had read higher, that could certainly have been the problem. I have tried again and the yogurt from today looks very promising although I haven't tasted it.

The probiotics I'm using are UAS Labs DDS-100 Lactobacillus acidophilus 1g (says over 2 billion active at manufacture) and FOS 50mg. Also a Proprietary Blend of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Bilfidobacterium Bifdum, and Streptococcus Thermpohilus and FOS is listed as an other ingredient.

This time I used 1Qt whole, organic, non homoginized milk, heated to 185 and cooled to 112. I added 3 caps of the Blend and 4 of the DDS as well as 2 TBS of Dannon Plain Yogurt. I put it in a Thermos and sat it outside all day (12 hours). It was hot here so I'm hoping not too hot. Anyway, it had a nice creamy smell and was mostly pourable but thick.

I am wondering how it should taste in comparison to the store bought Dannon. Also the middle batch I did was not as thick as this but I tried it and it was like poorly dissolved chalk. NASTY! I couldn't even swollow. This one appeared to have a bit of grainyness but not as bad. Is that just the consistancy of homemade yogurt? Is there a way to make it creamy? I'm big on texture and I don't think I can handle it. Will another batch from this yogurt be better? THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for you help! I am very happy to have found this thread and hope to be well on my way to healthier living with yogurt!!
You need l. bulgaricus and s. thermophilus in addition to the acidophilus to make yogurt. These are the guys that make yogurt yogurty.
Dannon has these but I'm not sure how much... a lot of the mamas use it, it's good. I use either Dannon Plain, or Erivan or Yogourmet free-ze dried starter which is the best. If you ferment it longer, 24 hours or longer, it'll be more tart and thicker. I use half-and half which makes it less tart and pretty thick. Yumm.
post #486 of 567
Thank you EBG! this yogurt turned out pretty good but I think I'll try the half and half next time, good idea. I think I'll add more Dannon and some of this yogurt as my starter for the next batch.

How do you all eat your yogurt? Do you eat it plain? I just can't, not yet anyway I feel like I'm eating butter and sour cream or something. I've been making smoothies with strawberries and a small bit of sugar. I know the whole thing with yeast and sugar and I'm hoping to develop more of a taste quickly so I can drop the sugar. Is artificial sweetener any better? I know they have a whole set of issues on their own though! So what do you guys do? Do you just add fruit? Plain? Is there something else I can do? Thank you!
post #487 of 567
Sarah, you can try honey or agave nectar or some plain fruit concentrates like cherry. I can't do it plain either.
post #488 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639
Thank you EBG! this yogurt turned out pretty good but I think I'll try the half and half next time, good idea. I think I'll add more Dannon and some of this yogurt as my starter for the next batch.

How do you all eat your yogurt? Do you eat it plain? I just can't, not yet anyway I feel like I'm eating butter and sour cream or something. I've been making smoothies with strawberries and a small bit of sugar. I know the whole thing with yeast and sugar and I'm hoping to develop more of a taste quickly so I can drop the sugar. Is artificial sweetener any better? I know they have a whole set of issues on their own though! So what do you guys do? Do you just add fruit? Plain? Is there something else I can do? Thank you!
I like it plain but I can also eat butter and sour cream straight, too. It's not as sour from half and half. We also mix it with blueberries, you can add mashed bananas as they are sweet plus they are loaded with enzymes. So are mangos, papayas and pinapples. Or raw honey.
Smoothies are great. Just put more friut in it and cut the sugar.

You can also make your own cream cheese and whey. Just put a clean kitchen towel in a colander over a bowl, fill it with yogurt and let it sit on the counter for several hours until no more liquid is dripping. Then you have cheese which is really yummy. You can use it as a spread, eat it with fruit or straight. The whey you can use for soaking grains and legumes or drink it diluted with water. Whey is where the bacteria are.
post #489 of 567
OK, I have a yogurt question.

I made some raw milk yogurt using jarrow capsules (per goodpapa's suggestions) the yogurt came out really runny, but i ate it anyway. i made a second batch using that yogurt as a starter and when it was done i noticed a yeasty smell. this was late last night, so i just tossed it in the fridge and haven't checked it today. what do you think? if it still smells yeasty should i toss it? what am i doing wrong? my raw milk yogurt keeps coming out about half yogurt and half whey -which i stir back in and then i have weird runny yogurt with clumps of thicker yogurt in it. i've been eating it anyway, but i'd really like some nice thick creamy yogurt. do you think my salton getting too hot could be effecting things?
post #490 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita
OK, I have a yogurt question.

I made some raw milk yogurt using jarrow capsules (per goodpapa's suggestions) the yogurt came out really runny, but i ate it anyway. i made a second batch using that yogurt as a starter and when it was done i noticed a yeasty smell. this was late last night, so i just tossed it in the fridge and haven't checked it today. what do you think? if it still smells yeasty should i toss it? what am i doing wrong? my raw milk yogurt keeps coming out about half yogurt and half whey -which i stir back in and then i have weird runny yogurt with clumps of thicker yogurt in it. i've been eating it anyway, but i'd really like some nice thick creamy yogurt. do you think my salton getting too hot could be effecting things?
What's in the jarrow capsules? If it's a supplement it probably won't have the coagulating bacteria needed for thickness. I wouldn't use the same batch for a starter either. As I said before, half anf half makes creamier yogurt. If you're into raw dairy, try half raw milk and half raw cream. I don't think the Salton gets too hot, I'm using one. My yogurt consistency depends on what kind of milk and starter I use. It comes out more runny with whole milk than half and half. Also, the yogourmet starter works great - nice and even, pretty firm, while some store-bought yogurts make the whey separate for some reason. So I prefer using the yogourmet starter as it has always worked great.
post #491 of 567
Q: when culturing L. reuteri, do you mix it with the other probiotics, or do it by itself?
post #492 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG
What's in the jarrow capsules? If it's a supplement it probably won't have the coagulating bacteria needed for thickness. I wouldn't use the same batch for a starter either. As I said before, half anf half makes creamier yogurt. If you're into raw dairy, try half raw milk and half raw cream. I don't think the Salton gets too hot, I'm using one. My yogurt consistency depends on what kind of milk and starter I use. It comes out more runny with whole milk than half and half. Also, the yogourmet starter works great - nice and even, pretty firm, while some store-bought yogurts make the whey separate for some reason. So I prefer using the yogourmet starter as it has always worked great.
why can't i use my old batch for starter? it doesn't seem like i should have to use new starter everytime.
post #493 of 567
JaneS asked me to post a recipe for cabbage rejuvelac (fermented cabbage juice). It's supposed to be a great source of acidophilus (sp?). If you like kimchi or sauerkraut you will probably like it...unfortunately I don't like either so I think it tastes nasty, but I can get it down mixed with a little tomato juice.

First batch:
3 c. cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 3/4 c. filtered/spring water

Put cabbage & water in blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Pour mixture into covered mason jar and let sit at room temperature for 3 days. Strain off cabbage and reserve 1/4 of liquid for next batch. Refrigerate remaining liquid and throw out any that remains after 24 hours.

Subsequent batches:
3 c. cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 c. filtered/spring water

Follow instruction for original batch but add 1/4 c. of previous batch to mason jar with blender mixture. Shake to combine. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
post #494 of 567
Do you think it would work with distilled water?
post #495 of 567
The water can't have chlorine in it, so if distilled water is chlorine-free I think it would work fine.
post #496 of 567
post #497 of 567
Okay, I have given up on yogurt for a while because I couldn't get it to set, even using the Yogurtmet starter. And now that we are only buying raw milk (and it's quite costly out here in CA), I'm afraid to waste anymore. But we are having kefir daily (homemade). I thought I read somewhere though that kefir has almost all the good stuff you need, but it's lacking something or another that is present in yogurt. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, then I guess I could start making yogurt again. Also, someone posted above about using L.Reuteri as part of the starter. If I used that (I think I used to but can't remember), do I need to use it in conjunction with another probiotic? And, does anyone have a full proof recipe using, say, 1 quart of raw milk and powdered probiotics? Or, I guess, using 1 quart of raw milk, yogurmet, and possibly some added L. Reuteir?

And ... about raw milk ... doesn't it already contain probiotics? Couldn't you just put it straight in the yogurt maker and make *yogurt* with it without adding any yogurt powder stuff? And what's clabbered milk? And does that mean it has even more probiotics in it? Isn't soured raw milk loaded with probiotics? Anyway of finding out which strains? Phew ... been wondering all that for a while!
post #498 of 567
I bought a probiotic called Primadophilus Reuteri for dd today w/l.reuteri in it (that's what I was looking for) and it also has this:

Quote:
1) L. Rhamnosus R049 - This strain is superior in many ways: In the report of the Taxonomic Subcommittee, L. rhamnosus shows the greatest ability of all lactobacteria to survive stomach and bile acids next to L. plantarum. It can withstand 30-40% bile acids and provides over 10 times the survivability of L acidophilus. L. rhamnosus is also capable of manganese-catalyzed scavenging of superoxide. Other characteristics of L. rhamnosus as compared to L. acidophilus are:

8-10 times as prolific
Ferments 23 carbohydrates (over twice as many as DDS-1 and NCFM)
Greater survival to freeze-drying process (75-80% vs. 30-35%)
Produces L+ lactic acid, which is the natural form in human metabolism and biologically superior to the DL lactic acid produced by L. acidophilus
Good resistance to antibiotics
Shows superior results in controlling diarrhea
Longer shelf life
For some 50 years, many products sold as "acidophilus" were actually rhamnosus. This error was not discovered until new methods of strain and species identification were developed. Rhamnosus was previously classified as a subspecies of L. casei, but has been reclassified as a separate species due to its own unique genetic makeup. Previous studies citing "L. casei" were often subspecies rhamnosus (for example, see Pardigon G. et al. "Systemic augmentation of the immune response in mice feeding fermented milks with Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus acidophilus" Immunology 63:17-23, 1988.)
Actually dh bought it for us and I noticed this when he got home. I gave her 1/2 capsule tonight. I'm hoping it'll improve her poops. Oh, wait a minute . . . I'm not on the Healing the Gut thread . . . can I still mention poops?
post #499 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Okay, I have given up on yogurt for a while because I couldn't get it to set, even using the Yogurtmet starter. And now that we are only buying raw milk (and it's quite costly out here in CA), I'm afraid to waste anymore... (snip)

And ... about raw milk ... doesn't it already contain probiotics? Couldn't you just put it straight in the yogurt maker and make *yogurt* with it without adding any yogurt powder stuff? And what's clabbered milk? And does that mean it has even more probiotics in it? Isn't soured raw milk loaded with probiotics? Anyway of finding out which strains? Phew ... been wondering all that for a while!
Raw milk yogurt will not set as firm as pasteurized milk. It has to do with the casein protein matrix ... raw milk proteins will not clump together and gel up in the same way. I just drink mine.

Yes, raw milk contains probiotics but not of the kind that produces yogurt. You need specific strains like bulgaricus and thermophilus for the texture. That is why Goodpapa's L. Reuteri culture doesn't gel. Yes sour milk has more probiotics and NT recommends it. I however, cannot stand the taste!
post #500 of 567
:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › The Power of Probiotics