or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › If your child can buckle and unbuckle themsevles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If your child can buckle and unbuckle themsevles - Page 2

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The booster seat I have is a high backed booster as well.
High-backed boosters have height restrictions. The Nautilus is higher than most other combos out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
And the TA does not have slots. The straps slide up and down in a track for easier adjustment. So you just slide it to where you need the straps. However they don't STAY where you put them and are always sliding back down in the track.
I'm not personally familiar with the EFTA, but no carseat should slide out of adjustment like that. Either it's broken/defective, or it's not set up right. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The main reason I am "balking" at buying the nautilus is because parents should not expected to run out and buy the next best greatest seat each time they come out with one. We would all be broke!
This is why so many folks suggest buying the higher-end seats. Yes, it may cost twice as much as another seat that fits your child *right now*... but the extra time they have in the carseat reduces the need to replace seats as the child grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The other booster I have is a high backed booster that goes to 100 lbs. The only reason I had to buy the TA is because the booster would only allow you to use the straps til 40 lbs and at 3 I did not feel she was ready to be using the seat belt.
I understand your frustration right now that your daughter has almost outgrown this seat you *just* bought... but, when you bought it, there were a lot of seats that had higher limits available. Yes, they cost more, but not more than buying several different cheaper seats.

No one's saying "Well, you have to get a Nautilus now, because that's the new best thing!" They're saying, "Your daughter is young to be safe in a booster. If you want to keep her harnessed longer, this seat will do it at a fairly reasonable price." A Regent or Safeguard will keep her harnessed *even longer*, but would cost twice as much and up. Since money is a concern for you, no one's suggesting that. But... yes, your daughter is safer in a harness, and you can keep her harnessed with a Graco Nautilus for around $150 (bought one on Amazon for $142.88 last week).
post #22 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I understand your frustration right now that your daughter has almost outgrown this seat you *just* bought... but, when you bought it, there were a lot of seats that had higher limits available. Yes, they cost more, but not more than buying several different cheaper seats.

No one's saying "Well, you have to get a Nautilus now, because that's the new best thing!" They're saying, "Your daughter is young to be safe in a booster. If you want to keep her harnessed longer, this seat will do it at a fairly reasonable price." A Regent or Safeguard will keep her harnessed *even longer*, but would cost twice as much and up. Since money is a concern for you, no one's suggesting that. But... yes, your daughter is safer in a harness, and you can keep her harnessed with a Graco Nautilus for around $150 (bought one on Amazon for $142.88 last week).
No there weren't. I asked here. When I bought her seat there was the TA and the Regant. The Regant I couldn't afford. While in your opinion it might have saved money in the long run, I STILL couldn't afford it. Last year was a very bad year and we were struggling just to get food on the table.

Oh wait.. there was one other seat.. but it had poor reviews... the alpha omega or something like that.
post #23 of 43
aniT - I can picture what you're saying about the straps sliding down on the Triumph Advance. (For the PP who isn't familiar with the seat, it's an infinite adjust harness and you just grab the straps and slide them up and down.) You said that her shoulders at right at the top slots of the harness if it doesn't slide down so it sounds to me like she's about to outgrow it.

I understand your frustration with facing the possibility of buying *another* harnessed seat when you *just* bought one that you figured would be the last harness you needed. It does seem sometimes like it's impossible to keep up with the latest car seat technology - as soon as you get the best they come out with something better.

You will have to buy another carseat soon whether it's the Nautilus or a dedicated booster. The Nautilus should keep your daughter harnessed for a while longer and then you absolutely do not have to buy another seat ever. It will turn into a good booster, and then a backless.

A possible fix for your current problem of your daughter undoing the 5 pt harness is to put some velcro, prickly side up, on the release button. It might be enough to discourage her from undoing the harness.

And good luck. This carseat stuff can be so frustrating at times.
post #24 of 43
In general, a child who will unbuckle herself or himself is not developmentally ready for a belt-positioning booster, regardless of age or size.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
No there weren't. I asked here.
And I'll swear I remember you asking here... but all I see is a post from September where you mentioned that you'd already bought it.

Also, I was under the impression that the problem was the weight, not the height. There are a LOT of carseats that go to more than 50 lbs. harnessed, but your DD is tall, which means you also need something with high strap slots. That *does* limit your options.
post #26 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
You will have to buy another carseat soon whether it's the Nautilus or a dedicated booster. The Nautilus should keep your daughter harnessed for a while longer and then you absolutely do not have to buy another seat ever. It will turn into a good booster, and then a backless.

And good luck. This carseat stuff can be so frustrating at times.
Thats the thing. I have an EB high back booster seat that was supposed to last her until 100lbs. She out grew the straps at 40lbs and 3 years old so I bought the TA. But I can still use the EB as a booster and I don't have to buy another seat if I use that one.

My main question here is.. I thought one of the benefits of the 5pnt is that she couldn't get out of it, but she can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
In general, a child who will unbuckle herself or himself is not developmentally ready for a belt-positioning booster, regardless of age or size.
She doesn't do this when the car is moving. Only when we get home.
post #27 of 43
5 points of restraint (5-point harness) are always safer than 3 points (vehicle seat belt), full stop. However, a belt-positioning booster can be an appropriate choice for a 5-year-old who weighs over 40 pounds and who can be trusted to sit properly and not unbuckle. This is not (IMO/IME) one of those situations where there is clearly a RIGHT answer and a WRONG answer.
post #28 of 43
What kind is the EB booster that you have? Is it the kind that can rear face, then forward face, and then turns into a booster?
post #29 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
And I'll swear I remember you asking here... but all I see is a post from September where you mentioned that you'd already bought it.

Also, I was under the impression that the problem was the weight, not the height. There are a LOT of carseats that go to more than 50 lbs. harnessed, but your DD is tall, which means you also need something with high strap slots. That *does* limit your options.
yea.. height is always a problem. I think I stated earlier that DH is 6'6". At 4 DD is wearing a 6 in dresses and shirts but a 5 in pants. Like DH she has a long torso.

She outgrew the other car seat by weight first although I think she was on the stop setting of the straps about to max that out.

I do remember when I asked people talking about the Alpha Omega but it didn't get good reviews. So I scratched that one off. That left the Regent and the TA. And as I said the Reagent was out of our price rant. The Nautilus I had never heard of until the other day. Trust me I would have remembered that one as DH worked their until the end of July this year. (Nautilus that is.)

I didn't expect DD to hit 50 lbs before 5.. and she probably wont. When I put her in the seat at the store there was plenty of room with the straps.. but my goodness this child has grown over the summer. She looks like a 1st grader to me rather than a preschooler. Now if she would just stop growing in the torso and let her legs catch up we will be fine. But I don't see that happening. At 6'6" DH has a 34" inseam.
post #30 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
What kind is the EB booster that you have? Is it the kind that can rear face, then forward face, and then turns into a booster?
No.. its forward facing only. It's called the EB high backed booster.

This is it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Hi...0824826&sr=8-3
post #31 of 43
At that age, provided she sits properly, I'd get her a booster with good SIP. If you aren't comfortable with her in a booster, get a Nautilus. I understand your frustration--we bought a Radian because DD is so tall, then later a Regent and that didn't work so we bought a Nautilus. It's a lot of seats and a lot of money.
post #32 of 43
Okay, so you already have a booster...... So..if she is nearly 5 and 50 pounds, and will sit correctly in the seat and not unbuckle herself WHILE the car is moving, there is no reason that her being in a booster isn't an acceptable choice. 5/50 is a lot longer than most kids are harnessed, and all the available data seems to agree that at that weight and age, A booster is not significantly worse than a harnessed seat, provided it is used correctly. You might want to consider "locking" her seatbelt, if your vehicle does that, to ensure she stays in place.
post #33 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Okay, so you already have a booster...... So..if she is nearly 5 and 50 pounds, and will sit correctly in the seat and not unbuckle herself WHILE the car is moving, there is no reason that her being in a booster isn't an acceptable choice. 5/50 is a lot longer than most kids are harnessed, and all the available data seems to agree that at that weight and age, A booster is not significantly worse than a harnessed seat, provided it is used correctly. You might want to consider "locking" her seatbelt, if your vehicle does that, to ensure she stays in place.
She will be 5 in four months and she is 46 lbs. I would assume my car doesn't lock the seat belt as I have never heard of such a thing.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
She will be 5 in four months and she is 46 lbs. I would assume my car doesn't lock the seat belt as I have never heard of such a thing.
If your car is newer than 1996 the seatbelt does lock, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. How do you have her current seat secured?
post #35 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
If your car is newer than 1996 the seatbelt does lock, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. How do you have her current seat secured?
LATCH. I thought she meant it locked so that she couldn't unbuckle it.

I have no idea how to keep it locked. It locks when you jerk it.. but you just have to let it back some and it unlocks.
post #36 of 43
If you pull the seatbelt all the way out slowly until you reach the end, then feed it back in a little, you should hear clicking and that means the belt is locked. You won't be able to pull it out further without letting it retract all the way in.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
LATCH.
Most car seats have an upper limit on LATCH connection around 48 lbs. child weight, and some car manufacturers have lower limits than that (Honda is 40 lbs. for example). Double-check the manual; you may need to switch to a seat belt install.

The manual will tell you about the locking seat belt retractor.
post #38 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
Most car seats have an upper limit on LATCH connection around 48 lbs. child weight, and some car manufacturers have lower limits than that (Honda is 40 lbs. for example). Double-check the manual; you may need to switch to a seat belt install.

The manual will tell you about the locking seat belt retractor.
Well crap.
post #39 of 43
Thread Starter 
My owners manual doesn't say anything about weight limits at all.

2002 Ford Windstar.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
My owners manual doesn't say anything about weight limits at all.

2002 Ford Windstar.
Ford has a 48-pound limit on the lower anchors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › If your child can buckle and unbuckle themsevles