or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Etsy Selling Mommas Tribe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Etsy Selling Mommas Tribe - Page 2

post #21 of 571

Any Etsy mamas sell slippers?

I don't sell on Etsy. In fact, I've never even bought on Etsy. But, I'm looking for a pair of slippers for myself and thought I'd give it a try.
I'd love to support other MDC mammas so if you make/sell slippers please PM me.
post #22 of 571
I love my etsy store and I'm finally selling consistently, which is excellent.

Whoever asked if the money is easier: Yes, yes, A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

:
post #23 of 571
I missed it, the money is easier than what?

Vo, I LOVE your slings. Very nice!
post #24 of 571
I just meant that handling the money via etsy is way easier for me than figuring out how to do it on my own--I don't mind giving etsy a little bit to post my stuff and PayPal a little bit to eliminate the need for me to be able to accept credit cards and/or wait for checks/money orders to arrive before shipping.
post #25 of 571
Oh wow, I have been seriously considering opening an etsy store and would love to be a part of this tribe!

I have some technical questions, though. How do income taxes work? It's considered a cottage industry, right?

Also, how do you package your items? I would be selling clothes, mostly...how do customers like to receive them?

Thanks, you guys!
post #26 of 571
Oh, I totally agree with you Frog! I ahte keeping books, and a good part of it is automatically kept for me by etsy

icx, You collect/charge sales tax only on items you sell to your own state, you'll have to look at your states govt website to get all that info.

I package all my things with recycled material. I try to make my shop as eco-friendly as humanly possible , it also helps my bottom line since I'm not paying for shipping materials
post #27 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellee View Post
I missed it, the money is easier than what?

Vo, I LOVE your slings. Very nice!


:::::

Thanks - that's the best compliment!
post #28 of 571
Has anyone ever purchased a showcase on etsy? Did you feel like it was worth it?
post #29 of 571
I went ahead and created a shop today... nothing there yet, but hopefully by the end of this weekend! I'm excited. This has been on my to do list since 2006.
post #30 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOBetz View Post
Has anyone ever purchased a showcase on etsy? Did you feel like it was worth it?

There seems to be a debate about that, with most people coming down on the "not worth it" side. I'd suggest that you go and read through the forums. There's a wealth of info there. I read the forums for 2 weeks prior to even opening shop and it was (and remains) so helpful!
post #31 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post
There seems to be a debate about that, with most people coming down on the "not worth it" side. I'd suggest that you go and read through the forums. There's a wealth of info there. I read the forums for 2 weeks prior to even opening shop and it was (and remains) so helpful!
Thank you for this suggestion! Its helped so much!

I only have 5 things listed in my shop - I need to get going on some more... I think that's the biggest thing for me to focus on right now.

Thanks!
post #32 of 571
I think it's worth it, but you have to have a item that's unique, well priced, well made, well tagged, and that isn't too terribly inexpensive (usually with things that are just a few dollars, it's not worth it because etsy and paypal both take a percentage and a small flat fee -- .20 on etsy and .30 on paypal, so that's 50 cents you lose off the top, so if your item is only $5 for example, that can hurt).

Etsy business for me is hit and miss. I make baby carriers, and so there are a few places online that reach my target audience better than etsy.
post #33 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
I went ahead and created a shop today... nothing there yet, but hopefully by the end of this weekend! I'm excited. This has been on my to do list since 2006.
congraulations. watch out tho. it can be addicting. (im a fat fashionista too. )

what is everyones plan for the fall coming? do you all change you shops around or just wait until the holiday season?
post #34 of 571
What, BUYING on Etsy? Because gooooood grief. I could spend all day shopping there (I joined in 2006 and... yeah)

I think fall will be good for my shop with Christmas coming up and, well, knitted stuff's a lot more useful in winter, generally. I really need to work on inventory but Mondays are kind of a difficult day for me since DH is home.
post #35 of 571
:

Thinking seriously about doing this too. What price ranges sell best on Etsy? I am guessing that the typical browser turned purchaser spends $X? I just thought of that after one PP mentioned not to have products priced too low. The amount spent probably goes up some for holidays?
post #36 of 571
One big reason I shop Etsy is to help mamas and artists and handcrafters to maintain a living wage... so I will tend to price my stuff at what I feel is a reasonable value for my time spent. Some folks price just to cover supplies, which is fine too, if you just want to support a bad crafting habit
post #37 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
What, BUYING on Etsy? Because gooooood grief. I could spend all day shopping there (I joined in 2006 and... yeah)

I think fall will be good for my shop with Christmas coming up and, well, knitted stuff's a lot more useful in winter, generally. I really need to work on inventory but Mondays are kind of a difficult day for me since DH is home.
i was looking at felted slippers last night on etsy. omg some of them are incredible!
post #38 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkin View Post
One big reason I shop Etsy is to help mamas and artists and handcrafters to maintain a living wage...
post #39 of 571
I just opened up an etsy shop last week. I only have childrens aprons for sale now, but will be adding more felt play food sets in anticiaption of Christmas.

Does anybody know a way I can update my listings so that it appears on the first few pages when somebody searches? i do I have to pay to relist it and that is the only way to 'bump' it up? Any other suggestions for how to get more views of my products? Thanks!
post #40 of 571
I'm on Etsy, have been for a year and a half now. It's fantastic -- I'm honestly having trouble keeping up with demand! Which is a nice problem to have. I just found out I was pregnant again, so I had to completely stop dyeing in my home, and I must sell nearly $1000 worth of dyed fiber on Etsy every month -- so this is a not insignificant obstacle in my business! Ah, the joys of working at home, eh? I think I have the problem mostly worked out now, though.

I can't say enough good things about Etsy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Work from Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Work from Home Parents › Etsy Selling Mommas Tribe