Workshop #6 - Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family.
Welcome to our sixth Natural Family Living discussion: Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family. This discussion will key in on Part 3 – Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family from Peggy O’Mara’s book Natural Family Living.
Some of the topics we'll discuss are;
Chapter 10 - First Foods
- Solid-Food Myths
- Solid food does not help a baby sleep through the night
- Solid food does not help a baby gain weight
- Breastfed babies do not need the additional iron in solid food
- My mother thinks I should feed the baby solids
- No Need to Rush
- Delaying solids decreases your child's risk of developing food allergies
- Introducing solids too early can interfere with your child's growth
- Waiting to introduce solids is more convenient for you
- When is your Child Ready for Solid Food?
- Physical readiness
- Interested in food
- Getting Started
- First Foods
- Nuts and legumes
- Meat, chicken, fish, and eggs
- Dairy products
- Sugar and spice
- Your Budding Gourmet
- Homemade Versus Prepared Foods
- Going Organic
- Fostering a Healthy Attitude Toward Food
Chapter 11 - Healthy Eating for the Whole Family
- Trusting Your Children's Eating Habits
- Let your children make their own food choices
- Recognize that children have erratic eating patterns
- Consider serving one hot meal a day
- Start out with small portions
- Let go of the idea that your children must clear their plates
- Do not worry about unconventional food choices
- Let hunger be your child's guide
- Do not use sweets as a bribe
- Let your children help prepare meals
- Do not let mealtimes become battles
- Whole Foods Make Healthy Bodies
- Whole grains
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Essential fatty acids and sweeteners
- Unprocessed foods
- Living in the Real World
- Food Allergies and Intolerances
- Persistent congestion
- Recurring ear infections
- Frequent headaches
- Mucle aches
- An anemic appearance
- Cow's Milk: Good for Calves, Bad for Children?
- A Cup of Apple Juice a Day
- The Vegetarian Family
- Vitamin B-12
- Food, Fun and Children
- School lunches
- Vegetarian entrees
- Sea vegetables
We would like to invite everyone to join us no matter where you are in your thinking or feelings. These discussions are meant to be nonjudgmental so please keep in mind when reading members' responses that this is a true discussion based on Natural Family Living and not a place to debate or criticize. For more ideas and information, please see our Nutrition and Good Eating forum.
We’re excited to offer this workshop and hope it will give our members a glimpse into the grassroots of Mothering magazine and Natural Family Living.
This workshop will be facilitated by our moderator Shantimama. She is here to guide the discussion and keep it on topic. She will occasionally post references or ask questions to keep the conversation flowing. Please feel free to contact her at any time with questions, suggestions or concerns. Please keep in mind our workshop guidelines and current user agreement at all times.
We are compiling a Natural Family Living Resources Sticky which we will update with each workshop. Please feel free to refer to it for more information. For articles and information on our current workshop, please see the Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family page.