As someone who has been gifted too much china -- sell it! I have received since getting married 11 years ago:
* 8 place settings with serving pieces of my grandmothers gold-banded wedding china
* 12 place settings with serving pieces of DH's great-aunt's mother's wedding china (which I LOVE, but is super fragile)
* 6 place settings with no serving pieces of newer china from when we married 11 years ago
* about 8 place settings of everyday dishes that make me happy every time I set the table
* and an unopened box of antique china my dad bought for me just after he and I reunited from 10 yrs of estrangement. How is that for emotional baggage?
Add to this ridiculous list, 1 full and 2 partial sets of crystal and 1.5 sets of sterling silver. Just writing this list down, makes me realize I need to sell it all. No wonder DH always gives me a hard time about china.
I love our everyday dishes. When we have friends over, I love setting a table with it. It is a cool mix and match set that dresses up well. We use it daily.
I need to sell the others, finish picking up the few missing pieces from our everyday set and bank the rest of the $.