or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › UU Autumn Thread - All Welcome!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UU Autumn Thread - All Welcome! - Page 4

post #61 of 175
Thanks!!
post #62 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
That might change once our snowbirds return, but I don't know how many of them there are yet.
I just wanted to mention that our fellowship is in that same boat- we're in South Texas on the US/Mexico/coastal border, and we have a huge ecotourism boom every winter when we get our "winter Texans." Our attendance also more than doubles; which is one reason we've moved our 'Water Ceremony' from the usual time to January, when 'everyone' will be back.
post #63 of 175

new UUA Principles and Purposes

This morning I participated in a Sunday morning forum on the new UUA Principles and Purposes. Has anyone else had a conversation about this in your congregation? What do you think of the proposed changes? (The current Principles and Purposes can be found here)

If you have any feedback to offer at all, the deadline to do so is October 16th. The UUA needs to hear from its members, so please consider speaking up!

I would also love to hear from you all here... what do you think?
post #64 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupiezum View Post
This morning I participated in a Sunday morning forum on the new UUA Principles and Purposes. Has anyone else had a conversation about this in your congregation? What do you think of the proposed changes? (The current Principles and Purposes can be found here)

If you have any feedback to offer at all, the deadline to do so is October 16th. The UUA needs to hear from its members, so please consider speaking up!

I would also love to hear from you all here... what do you think?
Thank you very much for the link. I think I had vaguely heard about discussions on changes to this section, but we have not had any formal discussion on the topic at my church (that I am aware of) and I had not seen the draft before.

I just filled out the online survey. To be honest, I don't like the changes very much. I think all the additional text dilutes the impact of the Seven Principles and I really don't like the replacement of the Six Sources with vague descriptive paragraphs.

What do you think? What was the general opinion at your forum?
post #65 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Thank you very much for the link. I think I had vaguely heard about discussions on changes to this section, but we have not had any formal discussion on the topic at my church (that I am aware of) and I had not seen the draft before.

I just filled out the online survey. To be honest, I don't like the changes very much. I think all the additional text dilutes the impact of the Seven Principles and I really don't like the replacement of the Six Sources with vague descriptive paragraphs.

What do you think? What was the general opinion at your forum?
That was pretty much the sentiment at our forum (which was sadly under-attended). I really dislike those additional paragraphs on the Principles; I think it detracts from the elegance of those statements, and make them less accessible to individual understanding.

I also felt like there was an increased emphasis on the Judeo-Christian roots, which I did not care for at all.
post #66 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupiezum View Post
I also felt like there was an increased emphasis on the Judeo-Christian roots, which I did not care for at all.
ITA I said pretty much the same thing in my comments on the new sources section too.
post #67 of 175

HELP lactivism issue related to UU

Please check out my other thread in lactivism but it is related to UU

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=978556
post #68 of 175
Thread Starter 


Hey, this thread was way back on the third page! That won't do!

My minister gave a really great inspiring sermon about activism, social justice, and living for this world rather than the possibility of the next.

We sang "Wake Now My Senses", another hymn I absolutely love.

They are selling books from the UUA bookstore at my church after services now. One book available is the hymnal, Singing the Living Tradition. Whenever we sing a hymn I really like I think about buying the hymnal, but then I wonder if I really need my own copy and if I would ever use it at home. Anybody own their own copy of Singing the Living Tradition?

Hope all the UU Mamas and visitors to this thread are doing well!

post #69 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
One book available is the hymnal, Singing the Living Tradition. Whenever we sing a hymn I really like I think about buying the hymnal, but then I wonder if I really need my own copy and if I would ever use it at home. Anybody own their own copy of Singing the Living Tradition?
No, but part of how I learned to play piano/read music/pick out parts was playing hymns out of the hymn book when I was little. My sister played the left hand while I played the right hand. I have lots of great memories of singing around the piano as a family, especially for the holidays.

So, if you have a piano/keyboard, I, personally, vote a hymnal is essential. That's just me, though! (Did I mention I was a music minor? Biased!!)

I will say, though, that if it only has the melody (not the harmony lines) like the Catholic hymnals I've seen I wouldn't get it. Unless you just want help remembering the words!

HTH!
post #70 of 175
I didn't buy one, but our church gives the musicians a loaner copy. So I've got one (I think) in my MUUSIC bag. For a small church, we've got a really cool musical ensemble.. I've had to stop playing oboe with them until my delivery, I just don't have the air!! but for ex. today we had Cello, keyboard/guitar, a full consort of recorders, and a flute. Very great folks Many of us are music teachers and can switch instruments as needed or switch to vocals, do harmony- we have a great time!

In other UU news

I did my last RE lesson today before dd2's birth, and I had help(!) and we had a great lesson. It was on the "interdependent web of existence," with the web game cards and the ball of yarn- great fun.

We are trying to offer some kind of youth 'group' for our teenagers, because currently we don't have an RE program that includes them. Sad but true, due to numbers. But now as the younger ones are getting older, and our fellowship is getting bigger, we're seeing the need; so I'd like to know what some of your congregations offer for kids age 12-18 that is along the lines of a youth group that meets regularly. I'll be reading up on this- so if you have links to pages I'd accept those too!
post #71 of 175
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking I'm probably not musically inclined enough to justify purchasing a hymnal. Picking out the parts does sound like fun and the hymnals do have the harmony, but I don't have a piano, so...

Vojerleda -- Our 7th and 8th graders (12 and 13 year-olds) do OWL. Our High Schoolers do Small Group Ministry twice a month and a different youth group on the off weeks.

Here is our curriculum page (you can click on the links under Grades 9-12 or just scroll down to read a little bit of a description.)
post #72 of 175
HI all:-) I am not sure if I belong here....but I grew up UU and am recently trying to 'find' myself spiritually. Which may be UU or not, I don't know
I justed wanted to sub to this thread to see what you all are discussing!
post #73 of 175
Thread Starter 


Welcome, Jen!
post #74 of 175
I am supposed to be a greeter on Sunday and the temp job I have for the next 2.5 weeks has me working Sundays. I can't afford to turn down the hours, but I am going to miss services I just realized that means missing the Samhain ritual. I think I'm going to have to ask to come in an hour or so later on Sunday.
post #75 of 175

.


Edited by RainCoastMama - 2/26/14 at 10:41pm
post #76 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kristina View Post
I am supposed to be a greeter on Sunday and the temp job I have for the next 2.5 weeks has me working Sundays. I can't afford to turn down the hours, but I am going to miss services I just realized that means missing the Samhain ritual. I think I'm going to have to ask to come in an hour or so later on Sunday.
aw. : I hope you can work it out so you can make the ritual. Good luck!
post #77 of 175
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post

Y'all aren't scary, are you? (sigh)
:

Well, I think there are some conservative Christians who think we are pretty darn scary , but seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
Ok, help me out here...I'm chicken I want to join the UUs in Vancouver so badly but I've never joined a spiritual community before and I'm intimidated...I don't know anyone, I don't know the routines, I'll feel like a duck out of water. It's almost like moving to a new country KWIM?

Y'all aren't scary, are you? (sigh)

Delurking, anyway
When I first attended a UU service I had never been part of any religion at all and I was terrified. It took me literally years to work up to it! When I finally worked up the courage my visit was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and not scary at all!

You can see if the church in Vancouver has a web page. If it does, they probably have a section with reassuring info for first time visitors. At the service there will probably be someone to greet you and show you where to go and help you get settled. You will probably get an Order of Service that outlines what will be happening. Also, a UU service is not like a Catholic Mass where there are a lot of specific things always done every Mass in the same order and lots of responses that everyone knows and standing, sitting, and kneeling and so forth. We do responsive readings but the words are always either in the Order of Service or in the hymnal and the leader will tell you where to find them before the reading. Same for any hymns that are sung and usually someone lets you know when to stand up.

Admittedly, I was still a little intimidated during my first visit because it was so different from anything I'd done before, but I found my UU church to be a friendly welcoming place and now I am soooo happy I made that first step. I say go for it!

Glad you are de-lurking. If you do visit, please let us know how it goes and feel free to ask any questions you have before or after.

post #78 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
Ok, help me out here...I'm chicken I want to join the UUs in Vancouver so badly but I've never joined a spiritual community before and I'm intimidated...I don't know anyone, I don't know the routines, I'll feel like a duck out of water. It's almost like moving to a new country KWIM?

Y'all aren't scary, are you? (sigh)

Delurking, anyway
I go to the Vancouver Unitarian church occasionally (about once a month) and no, it's not scary at all! Check out the website and pick a service that interests you... But the routines are really, really simple, and everyone there is super nice and friendly.

I didn't know what to expect either - I never went to church growing up - but it was really easy. Not like a Catholic service where there are all the responses to the prayers and whatnot.
post #79 of 175

.


Edited by RainCoastMama - 2/26/14 at 9:41pm
post #80 of 175

Sad and angry

At my church, we fly a rainbow flag. It's right at the entrance to the Parish Hall.

Over the past couple of months it's been stolen several times. We now have three police reports on file.

Last week, someone ripped down the flag and burned it on church grounds. We have the burned remnants.

The board is filing a report with the ACLU.

I'm angry, and I'm sad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › UU Autumn Thread - All Welcome!