or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › If you don't stockpile for disasters why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you don't stockpile for disasters why?

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
That's it. Why not.
post #2 of 100
Because I don't believe the world is going to end. Or even that life as we know it will end. or even that the supply of toilet paper will end.

Because I think the hype and fear, and the actions that are based in fear, cause a lot of problems, beyond the real ones that might exist.

Because I think we manifest our realty to some extent, and i don't want to manifest a reality where I'm shooting you because you want to borrow some coffee and sugar and toilet paper.

Remember in The Long Winter when some of the boys were stockpiling seed grain and had built a fake wall in their house so no one would know? And they weren't sharing with the town folk who were going hungry until Pa went over and made them share and then a bunch of the men rode through the storm to get more grain for seed to share with the whole town? Well, I liked Pa a whole lot better than the stock pilers in that book.
post #3 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Because I think the hype and fear, and the actions that are based in fear, cause a lot of problems, beyond the real ones that might exist.

Because I think we manifest our realty to some extent, and i don't want to manifest a reality where I'm shooting you because you want to borrow some coffee and sugar and toilet paper.
You know, the thing I noticed is that once I quit watching the news on tv and listening to the fearmongering my life because so much happier. I was really fearfull after the WTC and that is when I made the decision to stop watching.

Plus I can;t count how many the world is ending paranoia scenarios I've lived through.
post #4 of 100
Maybe we are the only ones.

::
post #5 of 100
We have not stock piled previously, we are now though. Previously I don't think there was a real threat of goods being hard to get or that they would be more expensive.
If hyper inflation was to occur we do not have the extra money to purchase more expensive goods we all ready live pay check to pay check now.

We do not have neighbors to rely on or land to grow food.
post #6 of 100
I am rethinking my stockpiling. I have no chocolate in the house, and have had a glass of wine and so I can't drive to the store to get any. And wouldn't anyway because its pouring rain and I don't want to be that lady who goes out in the pouring rain to buy chocolate.

So, I will start stock piling chocolate in case I start drinking heavily due to economic stress. And coffee, because the thought of running out of coffee strikes fear in the very heart of me. And sugar and cream because what is coffee without sugar and cream.

But that's it.

Except maybe wine.

And does it count if I have 10 bags of kale in my freezer that I bought at the organic farm and froze for winter because its $2.00 a bunch and local instead of $4.00/bunch from Calif.?

Eek. Maybe I really am stock piler. Sorry, Ard!
post #7 of 100
What is your definition of stockpiling? I live in a region that gets hit hard by snow several times each winter (as in all county roads get closed - the mail doesn't come or go, everything except the hospital closes, the gas tucks don't come to refill the gas stations, food trucks don;t make it through, everyone has to stay home until the roads get dug out.)

Every October I buy one or two 10L jugs of water and some non-perishable food that does not have to be heated to eat, flashlight batteries, stuff like that. It either gets donated to the food bank or taken on our family camping trip the next summer.

I stock up thoroughly. We have many senior neighbours and I want to have enough to share if need be. It isn't a matter of hoarding food and awaiting some horrible disaster. If there is a horrible disaster I can't imagine that we would hoard everything for our own family - we would want to help others as much as possible.

Maybe this isn't the kind of thing you had in mind, though. Do you mean this or people buying and storing enough food for several months or longer?
post #8 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
Maybe we are the only ones.

::
Naw, I am right there with you. I simply don't believe the sky is falling, even with the current crisis. I think things might get tough, but I have complete faith in the universe that it will all work out. I have enough anxiety and don't need to add any thing else on my plate to worry about.
post #9 of 100
Because my parents stockpiled for Y2K in a really big way. And I got white cotton briefs in my Christmas stocking for the next 6 years.
post #10 of 100
I think we meant things like getting weapons, pulling your money out of banks and converting to cash or gold or silver, buying several years worth of clothing, having several months of food stockpiled, etc.

Beyond the usual pantry stash for storms or a missed paycheck or 2.
post #11 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Because my parents stockpiled for Y2K in a really big way. And I got white cotton briefs in my Christmas stocking for the next 6 years.
:
post #12 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
Maybe we are the only ones.

::
I'm there with you, too, and think you said it quite well in your original post.
post #13 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I think we meant things like getting weapons, pulling your money out of banks and converting to cash or gold or silver, buying several years worth of clothing, having several months of food stockpiled, etc.

Beyond the usual pantry stash for storms or a missed paycheck or 2.
Well, I'm stockpiling in that I'm buying anything I can get my hands on if it's free or nearly free with coupons, plus second hand clothes I plan to have my ds wear anyways, plus some knowledge that I've never had previously. But as for everything else, between my siblings, parents, and grandparents, we probably have enough. My grandpa has guns, my grandma and sister know how to sew, my dad's house is stuffed with clutter that could actually become useful if resources were running low, my grandma knows how to grow fruits and veggies and can them, etc.

I don't *expect* it to get bad enough that I need, say, my grandpa's guns. But it's nice to know they're there. If I had absolutely no support system in place and I had the money, I probably would buy more.
post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Because my parents stockpiled for Y2K in a really big way. And I got white cotton briefs in my Christmas stocking for the next 6 years.
OH my, that shouldn't be this funny...
post #15 of 100
I want to hang out through the crisis with the lady who's stockpiling chocolate. And wine.

ETA: You can never wear too many pairs of white cotton briefs during a crisis.
post #16 of 100
Dude, I don't even like to but the big package of toilet paper. What if I need to up and leave the country? I like to travel light.
post #17 of 100
Quote:
I want to hang out through the crisis with the lady who's stockpiling chocolate. And wine.
Me too laughup:
post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Dude, I don't even like to but the big package of toilet paper. What if I need to up and leave the country? I like to travel light.
I got the best deal I've ever found on the most comfy toilet paper, and I bought 96 roles
post #19 of 100
It really depends on the definition of stockpiling.

As in I'm getting ready for a depression and believe the world as we know it's going to end and I'm putting everything I possibly can get my greedy little hands on in the garage and hiding it so I can help my family make it through? Uh, no.

But I do keep extra pasta sauce, pasta and rice (and I'm not talking about the bulk packages. Just the regular sized ones) in the pantry where if we were short on pay period because of something unexpected we wouldn't have to use the cc or take it out of savings. I did buy the jumbo pack or toilet paper and paper towels because I saved $5 on the paper towels by not buying them seperately, and I have three bathrooms and didn't want to run out of tp constantly. Other than that, no.

I don't really think I stock pile. More like just trying to keep the household running smoothly.
post #20 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I am rethinking my stockpiling. I have no chocolate in the house, and have had a glass of wine and so I can't drive to the store to get any. And wouldn't anyway because its pouring rain and I don't want to be that lady who goes out in the pouring rain to buy chocolate.

So, I will start stock piling chocolate in case I start drinking heavily due to economic stress. And coffee, because the thought of running out of coffee strikes fear in the very heart of me. And sugar and cream because what is coffee without sugar and cream.

But that's it.

Except maybe wine.

And does it count if I have 10 bags of kale in my freezer that I bought at the organic farm and froze for winter because its $2.00 a bunch and local instead of $4.00/bunch from Calif.?

Eek. Maybe I really am stock piler. Sorry, Ard!
: I'm down for the chocolate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › If you don't stockpile for disasters why?