or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › My name is Holly and i'm a mocha latte addict
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My name is Holly and i'm a mocha latte addict - Page 5

post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilys_mom1 View Post
I buy this great mocha mix at costco for like $7 a container. It last me a few months. You can make hot drinks or cold. It is wonderful and I can't live without it. It saves me tons of money making them at home.
Gimme some tips! I have that mix, but I don't love it made the way the directions say...
post #82 of 108
had my last latte today. my card has 5 cents on it.
post #83 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I think one reason the mocha lattes and other flavored coffees at Starbucks are so popular is that they are uber sweet--but the drinker does not have to add the sugar/corn syrup themselves to make it that way.

It is like crossing this psychological line--it would be too strange for someone to make a latte at home and realize they have to put two or three big tablespoons of sugar or a huge dose of flavored corn syrup in there, so they go to Starbucks where it is done for them, so they don't have to think about it.

People who don't normally like coffee often like these kinds of drinks because with normal cup of coffee you are not putting three tablespoons of sugar and flavoring in there to sweeten it up, you just pay and start drinking in the sweet nectar!

If you can just get over that psychological barrier of adding your own sweetener and realize you like your coffee to be REALLY sweet--you would probably start liking regular coffee more. The steamed milk is a whole other thing, I realize--but I swear it is the sweetener and people not wanting to own up to it that makes people love these drinks so much. It is easier not to think about the calories and fat you are consuming when someone else is doing the making of it.
Um....I get the sugar free syrup when I buy lattes at starbucks.

And I use no sugar in my coffee at home, either. I use enough Sweet'N'Low to grow a new tail every day.
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
What we've realized is that sometimes you are just paying for the beverage, and sometimes you are paying for the experience--either of relaxing in a cafe or just feeling pampered or having a break or a little ritual that you do for yourself. If we just want the coffee or chai, we make it at home. If we really just want the part of the experience that can't be replicated as easily as a mocha can, then we consider that as an entertainment expenditure.

On a theoretical note, one of the things that I've always thought about Starbucks in particular is that if you view celebrity gossip magazines or look at those types of photos online, (like People, US, etc.) they always have photos of celebrities photographed walking down the street with their Starbucks cups and distinctively green straws. I think that part of the appeal of Starbucks for many people, if even only on a sort of subliminal level, is that even if we don't necessarily look up to celebrities themselves, many of us probably at least might like to have some of their affluence and some of the lifestyle perks that it affords. When you see a pic of Jennifer Aniston or the Olsen twins or Britney Spears or so on, if you are a lower or middle class person you know that you can't afford or even aspire to the designer clothes they're wearing, or the $5000 handbag they are carrying, or the multi-million-dollar mansion that they live in, or the car they drive--but you can afford to spend five bucks and drink the exact same Frappuccino that the rich and famous do!! I think I've read that part of the reason that Starbucks doesn't offer coupons is that they know that this would sort of cheapen their brand image and make their coffee a bit more "down-market" whereas now it's sort of something that people can treat as a bit of an indulgence and a luxury that they can afford.
I have been a Starbucks drinker for at least 13 years now, back before they were on every single corner. So the celeb angle doesn't appeal to me at all.

However what you said about it representing an experience does resonate with me. I see my afternoon drink as my time, I normally have a misto before I start cooking dinner, it represents the transition from work to home time. In my case I work at home, so it really is a transition since its not like I have a commute on the way home from the office, my office is next to the kitchen and dining room.

I have tried the drink at home thing and I still do it sometimes, but it really doesn't feel the same, my evening feels off if I don't have a drink from Starbucks .
post #85 of 108
The more I read this thread, the more I wonder and analyze my Starbucks love affair...

My final thoughts are...you only live once! No but seriously, if that is your only splurge, don't you deserve one once in awhile? I don't drink, I don't shop that much, and I don't have any expensive hobbies...but I bring in half the income, am raising two kids, training for a 1/2 marathon, am a fulltime grad student...and if I want a latte 3 times a week..........well I AM GOING TO HAVE ONE!:

Now off of my soapbox

Everything in moderation right!
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
The more I read this thread, the more I wonder and analyze my Starbucks love affair...

My final thoughts are...you only live once! No but seriously, if that is your only splurge, don't you deserve one once in awhile? I don't drink, I don't shop that much, and I don't have any expensive hobbies...but I bring in half the income, am raising two kids, training for a 1/2 marathon, am a fulltime grad student...and if I want a latte 3 times a week..........well I AM GOING TO HAVE ONE!:

Now off of my soapbox

Everything in moderation right!
Well, yeah--but in a way that's just the point. You've analyzed it and decided that this is important enough to you and your life for you to splurge on. You realize also that there are things that you might be trading monetarily for this particular thing (like if you *did* want to take up an expensive hobby, you could cut down on the lattes and have some money left over for it.) You've looked at your finances and your values and your desired lifestyle and you're making an educated choice. If you can look at something and say, "Okay, I'm spending $12 a week on this particular thing. That is X percentage of my total income. Is that worth it for me? Is it giving me that much enjoyment or is there something I'd rather be doing with that amount of money?" and come up with an answer, that's a lot different than just not really realizing that these things add up financially over the course of time. Making a decision about where to spend your money, even if that might seem like a wrong choice to somebody else, is to me the whole point of looking carefully at our finances. It's a lot different than just frappucino-ing yourself into major credit card debt and not realizing where your money all went!!
post #87 of 108
here are some of the things that I add to it to make it work for us to spice it up a little. Try adding:

ice cream
cool whip
coffee
chocolate milk
mint syrup - great at christmas time
lots and lots of ice
carmel

I personally love it with just milk and lots of ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Gimme some tips! I have that mix, but I don't love it made the way the directions say...
post #88 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
I started making my own coffee and mixing hot chocolate in it. I guess its been so long since i've been to a real Starbucks, that this actually tastes really good to me.
This is what I'm drinking now

Maybe some day I'll buy some whipped cream
post #89 of 108
It would be cheaper if you fix one for yourself instead
post #90 of 108
Hi my name is Sandra and I am a Stabucks barista. wanna cure your addiction? look at the nutritional information sheet Seriously, the worst stuff is the white chocolate mocha, chia tea, pumpkin spice latte (and other seasonal drinks). all three have over 400 calories in the small. if you get skim.

other ways to deal with you need fo treats.

get a gift card and register and reload. this will entitle you to discounts, free stuff, and help you budget. (at least at starbucks). if you do anything to upgrade you drink it i all free with a registered cad - soy, organic, flavor.

get cheaper (lower calorie) drinks. skinny lattes are half the price of mochas and have almost no calories, steamers are cheap, nutritious and a treat. the most popular drink we sell, perhaps the most indulgent and one of the lowest calorie drinks is the caramel machiato. you can get it with skim milk and sugar free vanilla fo even less calories (I know I am harping on the calorie thing but t is appalling). i think it i also cheaper than a mocha.

its not on the menu but you can always order a "short" size (8 ounce). going smaller will still give you the treat but cost you less. at our store we only charge $1.06 for any drink in the short size (most stores charge slightly more for some drinks but we are not set up the same way. check around . . . )

if it is the mocha syrup that floats you boat get an Americano or brewed coffee with mocha in it. a large brewed coffee with syrup is less than $2.50 and refills will be free with a registered card. without a card it would be $1.40.

tip your barrista well even if she is not allowed to receive tips. this will give you good coffee karma. (and she may be more inclined to hook you up with free extras or up size you.)

get a good machine and make them yourself. we had one made by starbucks and seacco that was darn near coffee shop quality. the beans went into a hopper, were ground fresh, it brewed shots of espresso and made shots or americanos and always had steam for frothing. worth every penny. I think they retail for about $600 (we got them wholesale). it sounds like a lot but if you consider you spend $4.75 a day on a mocha plus $1 to tip your barrista thats around $2000 a year. you could easily cover milk, coffee and even a fancy CO2 whip creamer on top of the cost of the machine. if frappachinos are you thing get a vitamix mixer. thats the key.



and as a happy little aside . . .someone mentioned corn syrup. I happy to announce that starbucks uses real sugar (and plenty of it) in all the syrups and mixs. I have checked every label and never come across corn syrup or anything hydrogenated. and almost no artificial colors. the ingredients are surprisingly natural and simple. . . . just wanted to let you know that if you decide this is a worthy indulgence at least it is real food.
post #91 of 108
oh and you can actually buy starbucks syrups (not the mocha) if there is one you like a lot. they are only $7 a bottle and will last a eally long time. we even give you the pump and tell you how many squirts to use.
post #92 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Hi my name is Sandra and I am a Stabucks barista. wanna cure your addiction? look at the nutritional information sheet Seriously, the worst stuff is the white chocolate mocha, chia tea, pumpkin spice latte (and other seasonal drinks). all three have over 400 calories in the small. if you get skim.

other ways to deal with you need fo treats.

get a gift card and register and reload. this will entitle you to discounts, free stuff, and help you budget. (at least at starbucks). if you do anything to upgrade you drink it i all free with a registered cad - soy, organic, flavor.

get cheaper (lower calorie) drinks. skinny lattes are half the price of mochas and have almost no calories, steamers are cheap, nutritious and a treat. the most popular drink we sell, perhaps the most indulgent and one of the lowest calorie drinks is the caramel machiato. you can get it with skim milk and sugar free vanilla fo even less calories (I know I am harping on the calorie thing but t is appalling). i think it i also cheaper than a mocha.

its not on the menu but you can always order a "short" size (8 ounce). going smaller will still give you the treat but cost you less. at our store we only charge $1.06 for any drink in the short size (most stores charge slightly more for some drinks but we are not set up the same way. check around . . . )

if it is the mocha syrup that floats you boat get an Americano or brewed coffee with mocha in it. a large brewed coffee with syrup is less than $2.50 and refills will be free with a registered card. without a card it would be $1.40.

tip your barrista well even if she is not allowed to receive tips. this will give you good coffee karma. (and she may be more inclined to hook you up with free extras or up size you.)

get a good machine and make them yourself. we had one made by starbucks and seacco that was darn near coffee shop quality. the beans went into a hopper, were ground fresh, it brewed shots of espresso and made shots or americanos and always had steam for frothing. worth every penny. I think they retail for about $600 (we got them wholesale). it sounds like a lot but if you consider you spend $4.75 a day on a mocha plus $1 to tip your barrista thats around $2000 a year. you could easily cover milk, coffee and even a fancy CO2 whip creamer on top of the cost of the machine. if frappachinos are you thing get a vitamix mixer. thats the key.



and as a happy little aside . . .someone mentioned corn syrup. I happy to announce that starbucks uses real sugar (and plenty of it) in all the syrups and mixs. I have checked every label and never come across corn syrup or anything hydrogenated. and almost no artificial colors. the ingredients are surprisingly natural and simple. . . . just wanted to let you know that if you decide this is a worthy indulgence at least it is real food.
Who knew that this thread was going to come with tech support?
post #93 of 108
You know...our barista friend here offers a good point for all of us addicts...maybe we just all need to get a part-time job there! Then we could drink free coffee!
post #94 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
You know...our barista friend here offers a good point for all of us addicts...maybe we just all need to get a part-time job there! Then we could drink free coffee!
I had a coffee-addicted boyfriend who worked at Starbucks, and this seemed to work for him! It also had the side benefit of free day-old pastries!
post #95 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
You know...our barista friend here offers a good point for all of us addicts...maybe we just all need to get a part-time job there! Then we could drink free coffee!

I wok at a licensed store and get no discounts or free stuff (ok I have to drink a shot of espresso every shift for a quality check . . .but yuck. ) I am not even technically allowed to accept tips. So my addiction eats up a large potion of my paycheck. So I have had to hit the beaks hard which is difficult since I am literally there almost very day and can't just avoid it.

it is a fun job. I am kinda like a perky crack dealer.
post #96 of 108
and if it helps you feel better about you addiction I am a single mom supporting three kids on what I make there. the pay is awesome, once I get benfits they will be awesome. My manager is sweet and flexable and works around my kids schedules, doctor appointments, appointments with my attorney and all the othe craziness that comes with being a single mom. So it may seem like you are dumping money into corperate craziness but they do take care of their employees and pay them very well.

your mochas are kinda like giving to charity ya know . . . . . its a sacrifice someone has to make
post #97 of 108
Yes I wanted to make a comment about being an employee...my friend looked into a job there...she was a teacher making a nice salary, but our school benefits are pretty expensive...she said that Starbucks had better coverage and lower monthly costs.
post #98 of 108
I was actually tempted to apply for a job there. I am not perky so I figured maybe it might not be a good idea

The calorie thing at starbucks is big. Once I started paying attention I was shocked. One treat has a meals worth of calories and then you add in a drink and that takes care of your next meal.

I have a latte daily that we make at home. I use less milk then I used to with coffee because I froth it. I use only about a teaspoon of vanilla syrup. So way less calories then starbucks.
post #99 of 108
I used to be a huge Starbucks addict too, but I would limit myself to 1 a week. Then I decided to boycott Starbucks and support only local places. That helped me cut down also, since there weren't any local places on my way to/from work. I will still occasionally get a fancy coffee drink, but it's pretty infrequently. The other thing I did that helped wean me off of those drinks was a "no sugar challenge." I didn't last very long, but by doing that, I came to appreciate black coffee, which I *never* in my life thought I could do. I do buy good beans to brew at home, and I think that makes all the difference. I buy from a local place that roasts their own organic, free trade beans. I pay $12.50 a pound, but when I go in and buy the beans, I get a free coffee drink

Oh, and on the travel mug note, I just bought a stainless steel mug from REI and I LOVE it! It has a screw on lid and won't spill if turned upside down
post #100 of 108
Okay, this may be veering too far but has anybody tried cold brewing coffee? (or did someone post about it here??!) Our local Whole Foods sells a "toddy" cold brewing system and I got intrigued by the cold brewing idea and googled a couple of articles about it and it seems pretty simple and like something you can do without a lot of equipment--basically throw some coffee in a mason jar and add cold water and let it sit for 12-24 hours, then strain first coarsely and then finely through a coffee type filter. It is supposed to produce a coffee that is smoother, has less acid and is thus better for people who otherwise don't drink coffee because of the acid/tummy issues, and it is also a bit lower in caffeine than drip brewed coffee. It makes a coffee concentrate that you can keep in the fridge and then when you are ready to drink, you add hot water and/or milk and whatever else you want. Two things that people kept saying in the various articles/blogs/comments I read about this was that it produces a coffee that is smooth and not bitter and that has chocolatey undertones. Someone also noted that this is how Seattle's Best Coffee (which has apparently been bought out by SBucks, who are maintaining this practice) uses this cold brewing method to make the coffee for all their iced coffee drinks. Anyway, it seemed to me like it was worth giving a try, especially since you all have me thinking about Starbucks and coffee now!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › My name is Holly and i'm a mocha latte addict