or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Traditional Homemaking Skills
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traditional Homemaking Skills - Page 26

post #501 of 618
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
i am not kidding when i say, this is a huge reason i haven't been able to shake ppd for 5 years & 3 kids ago. the walls close in and you need to get out/socialize and it becomes a viscious/non-productive cycle.

heavy sigh...............................
s
I know, it's so hard. I had such a hard time too, when my baby was a newborn. Even now, I have to 'schedule' time with my NEXTDOOR neighbor, who has a girl the exact same age as my girl, to play, because she's NEVER home. I see her MORE when we are out at a class or something, than in the actual neighborhood. So sad
I just wish we could kick back and drink some tea and watch the flowers and our babies grow together
post #502 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post
Bitter apple or tabasco sauce will keep the kitties out of plants! I would try to keep the dracaena away from the cat(s) though, they're on the warning list and could possibly harm your kitty.
It's on a high shelf (the master bedroom and bath are separated by a wall with a ~2 ft gap at the top, and I keep my plants and knick-nacks on top of that wall); it's about a 4 foot vertical leap from the bathroom counter and there's barely any landing room around it. I haven't seen them up there recently but there always seem to be new toothmarks.

They've never been fazed by bitter apple but maybe I'll try a tabasco concoction.
post #503 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingstar View Post
So do you ladies know that I've been leaving (REAL) butter out on the counter in an airtight container, so that it stays soft at room temperature for up to a week and it does NOT go bad at all. It's so yummy! : I can just rub it onto my freshly baked bread anytime I want it! Yay! Though I have a confession (sssshhhhhh....) I've been buying my bread from a local bakery from the day old section for uber cheap instead of baking. :
I've always left butter out and I live in the blistering hot desert (115+ summers )and leave it out in summer too. Although I enjoy cold butter on certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
I grew up with parents that left the butter out. I don't tend to do it though. I would never do it in the Hot mississippi summer. I could see doing it now though, in cool weather of course. Actually I have a couple times knowing that I would be baking the next day and need softened butter.


One thing I've been wondering lately is: Is it really possible to get it all done? I mean in this day and age. Is it really possible to do it traditionally and do everything else this day and age requires and particularly with the break down of familial, friend and neighborly help? One minute I feel like I can do it. Make everything from scratch, keep a clean, organized, efficient home, make a lot things via sewing and crafting, add in homeschooling for us, add in part time jobs in the evening or for some full time jobs..etc etc.

Is it still possible to do it all and do it really well? And do you personally strive to do it? To be that superMom like I do?
Possible? probably, but unlikely for those of us that grew up in a regular modern family. I see it more as rotating skills, I tend to concentrate on one area at a time and let the others fall by the wayside for awhile. I can't imagine trying to do it all at the same time.
post #504 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingstar View Post
So do you ladies know that I've been leaving (REAL) butter out on the counter in an airtight container, so that it stays soft at room temperature for up to a week and it does NOT go bad at all. It's so yummy! : I can just rub it onto my freshly baked bread anytime I want it!
I do this, but without the airtight container. I keep it in the wrapper in a small bowl and fold the paper over the top of the stick of butter between uses. My butter doesn't usually last a week, even though I hide it in the plate cupboard (upper cupboard), because (run on sentence?) Sophia is addicted to butter in it's raw form. So, currently, we have no butter. I can't count the number of times I walk back into the room only to find her sitting on the floor with a stick of butter in her hand, chomping away like it's a chunk of bread or something.
post #505 of 618
Arduinna I'm in the desert, too, and never have a problem leaving my butter out!
post #506 of 618
mmm... butter...
post #507 of 618
Speaking of, has anyone made their own butter? Not that it's cost efficient, but we sometimes like to make our own by vigorously shaking heavy cream in a jar for several minutes. It is SO GOOD!
post #508 of 618
Holidaymama-I think you are right, that there is a bonus to living in this time that things are ready made and easier in that regard. I had not really thought about it like that before, so I appreciate your thoughtfullness. I am still pondering it.

Arduinna-I'm not worried about butter going bad by leaving it out, just more like turning to mush in the hot Southern summers. Is it not just a pool of butter in your heat? Of course we have air conditioning, but things seem to just get yucky here if I leave them out, b/c of the humidity.


As far as doing it all goes, no one else is pressuring me. It's purely my own want. I'm not even totally sure where it comes from. I'm not trying to do things perfect by any means. I am NOT a perfectionist, but I do want to do it all. For example, I have a desire to stamp and make my own cards. I want to because I enjoy these kinds of hobbies and to me handmade is just such a nice touch. Well with the holidays and business I did not make my friend a card in time to have it sent to her across the country and I sit here feeling guilty that she didn't even get a card from me. And I had to realize that if I can't do it in time, if it's not going to happen,then I need to just give in and buy cards. But I want to make them. I really do. This is just one example of how I want to do it all. I want to because it makes me feel good. And usually I'm pretty good at doing all the things I want to and I'm organized enough that it doesn't usually stress me out. But then there are times that I realize it's all too much and there just isn't enough time in the day and I'm going to have to give some things up b/c I just can't do it all no matter how much I want to. This year is about prioritizing my priorities
post #509 of 618
Thread Starter 
I have an ebb and flow where I want to do and make more myself. Some months/weeks it's less. Sometimes I'm more crafty; sometimes I'm more baking/cooking mama. Maybe we could list our 2009 projects here so we could give each other ideas!

Upcoming 2009 Projects (that are already planned):

This April, for my birthday, I plan on getting a nice printer, and making my own greeting cards, using my art prints as the print. Thinking about the Epson Stylus all in one.

I want to make a table runner for the dining room and some pretty cloth napkins to match. Want something tropical/earthy.

Learn how to make a mean, yummy, easy, healthy, fast, stir fry. Chicken or shrimp.

Well that's all I have time for now, dd is having a meltdown....
post #510 of 618
I just had to come post about my new apron! It just got here today and I loooove it. i ordered it on ebay from this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/HanneToday
It came 2 days after I ordered it!
post #511 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingstar View Post
I have an ebb and flow where I want to do and make more myself. Some months/weeks it's less. Sometimes I'm more crafty; sometimes I'm more baking/cooking mama. Maybe we could list our 2009 projects here so we could give each other ideas!

Upcoming 2009 Projects (that are already planned):

This April, for my birthday, I plan on getting a nice printer, and making my own greeting cards, using my art prints as the print. Thinking about the Epson Stylus all in one.

I want to make a table runner for the dining room and some pretty cloth napkins to match. Want something tropical/earthy.

Learn how to make a mean, yummy, easy, healthy, fast, stir fry. Chicken or shrimp.

Well that's all I have time for now, dd is having a meltdown....
I'd love to make a craft list

Lets see I want to...

*Make Cards for all family members birthdays
*Make myself an apron
*Make DD a matching apron
*Knit both kids a blanket for their beds
*Make each kid a monkey quilt
*Make rag quilts out of each of the kids receiving blankets
*Make fleece car seat cover
*Make car seat ponchos
*Can Habenero Pineapple Jelly


And that is all I can think of for now. I'll come back later when I think of more
post #512 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I do this, but without the airtight container. I keep it in the wrapper in a small bowl and fold the paper over the top of the stick of butter between uses. My butter doesn't usually last a week, even though I hide it in the plate cupboard (upper cupboard), because (run on sentence?) Sophia is addicted to butter in it's raw form. So, currently, we have no butter. I can't count the number of times I walk back into the room only to find her sitting on the floor with a stick of butter in her hand, chomping away like it's a chunk of bread or something.
I just leave it in an ordinary covered butterdish on the kitchen counter. It's never gone bad, even though it can be there more than a week sometimes. I hate hard butter.
post #513 of 618
Been busy re-organizing my closets, underneath the sinks, the laundry room cupboards, eating brownies...

LeighB - Love the old-fashioned design, which pattern?
post #514 of 618
Oooh I love that apron! Too cute!!!
post #515 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I just had to come post about my new apron! It just got here today and I loooove it. i ordered it on ebay from this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/HanneToday
It came 2 days after I ordered it!
what a cute apron! i prefer a chef style myself.

i have 2 vera bradley aprons....i live in vera bradley headquarters and one of my close friends is the head of design for them. they are SOOO nice and i got them for a steal with my friend's discount.

they look like this.

and i have one in "java blue" and one in "hope toile".....which was their "breast cancer" design and retired last year.

i love them and wear them every day.
post #516 of 618
Leighb, I love those aprons! Too cute. Love the retro/vintage look.

We just finished the most DELICIOUS pear puffed pancake...it was so good.
post #517 of 618
subbing.
post #518 of 618
Okay I have GOT to sew me some aprons....and I still don't have the time.

*sigh*...one day it'll just be me and the sewing machine and lots of fun fabric....
post #519 of 618
I made yogurt this weekend! I'm so proud of me! : I'm also growing a scoby for kombucha, but that's kind of slow going; not sure how it's going to turn out.

Of course, now I've got a gallon of yogurt.... : Anyone want some?
post #520 of 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
I made yogurt this weekend!

Of course, now I've got a gallon of yogurt.... : Anyone want some?
I use that much yogurt every week! It goes in a hurry around here. I'm so glad that it is such an easy process. Congrats on your new skill!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Traditional Homemaking Skills