or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Our UC Stats - Page 3

post #41 of 54
I find it interesting how many posters just in this thread had VBAC UC's (including me). Maybe instead of making up statistics, that blogger should consider what pushes so many "high risk" VBAC women to choose to give birth unassisted.
post #42 of 54
mine is the the stillbirth where he was gone a day or two before hand. I *had* to post the story immediately. I was proud of my uc. I *still* DID IT even though the outcome was crappy.

Can't wait to see you again Micah Zachary who would have been six months old on monday.

It's called taking RESPONSIBILITY. it's a lost art in today's world. I think most uc'ers have that attitude or we wouldn't be ucing.
post #43 of 54
We should start an actual study sticky thread (or a private statistic PM thing.) where women can register that they are:
1. planning a UC.
2. Whether or not they are recieving professional prenatal care.
3. C-section history
4. Age
5. # of previous pregnancies/births
6. support of family/partner?
7. Previous Traumatic hospital birth?
8. Gestational diabetes?
etc.

And ask these women if they will agree to participate in the study and to register the birth outcomes here.

what do you ladies think?
post #44 of 54
Thank you, Cuddlebaby, for courageously sharing your story. Yes, you should be proud of your birth! One statistic that I rarely see mentioned is the fact that every 15-20 minutes a baby is stillborn in an American hospital. This is double what it was 10 years ago. Many of these babies I'm sure would have died regardless of where they had been born. But some deaths may be a result of being summoned prematurely via inductions and c-sections. A stillbirth at home is nearly always questioned, especially by those who want to prove the dangers of homebirth. But how many of those people question a stillbirth at a hospital?
Laura
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
mine is the the stillbirth where he was gone a day or two before hand. I *had* to post the story immediately. I was proud of my uc. I *still* DID IT even though the outcome was crappy.

Can't wait to see you again Micah Zachary who would have been six months old on monday.

It's called taking RESPONSIBILITY. it's a lost art in today's world. I think most uc'ers have that attitude or we wouldn't be ucing.

thank you for sharing that you're an inspiration
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
It's called taking RESPONSIBILITY. it's a lost art in today's world. I think most uc'ers have that attitude or we wouldn't be ucing.
I couldn't agree more. I was railroaded into my UC by the system, but in retrospect I am so very glad I was able to have one (I finally pm'd fourlittlebirds about it the other day).

I'm still so so very sorry for your loss
post #47 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAMamaMia View Post
We should start an actual study sticky thread (or a private statistic PM thing.) where women can register that they are:
1. planning a UC.
2. Whether or not they are recieving professional prenatal care.
3. C-section history
4. Age
5. # of previous pregnancies/births
6. support of family/partner?
7. Previous Traumatic hospital birth?
8. Gestational diabetes?
etc.

And ask these women if they will agree to participate in the study and to register the birth outcomes here.

what do you ladies think?

We need a way to verify that the mothers who are submitting the data are real people.
I like the idea though!
post #48 of 54
This is one of the next projects I'd like to work on, after I finish my PhD dissertation about unassisted birth this semester. I need to find some people to collaborate with who have experience in conducting quantitative studies on birth outcomes, in order to start a prospective study of UC (similar in design to the CPM2000 study, but with additional questions to reflect the unique circumstances of UC). It would probably take several years to gather enough numbers to have statistical significance, but I think it's important to have accurate information on the outcomes of UC, the health histories of women who do them, etc.

It would be a really big undertaking and would need to be done right, but I think it can and should be done.
post #49 of 54
that sounds like a wonderful and important project rixafreeze. i would love to help when you get around to it.
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
mine is the the stillbirth where he was gone a day or two before hand. I *had* to post the story immediately. I was proud of my uc. I *still* DID IT even though the outcome was crappy.

Can't wait to see you again Micah Zachary who would have been six months old on monday.

It's called taking RESPONSIBILITY. it's a lost art in today's world. I think most uc'ers have that attitude or we wouldn't be ucing.
Thank you for sharing your story.Seeing the stories like yours actually helped me realize my UC because of the responsibility factor.
post #51 of 54
Rixa, you know I'm on board with that! BTW, tomorrow I defend my thesis.
post #52 of 54
Yay! Good luck on the defense. Isn't it nice to finally have it DONE?
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
This is one of the next projects I'd like to work on, after I finish my PhD dissertation about unassisted birth this semester. I need to find some people to collaborate with who have experience in conducting quantitative studies on birth outcomes, in order to start a prospective study of UC (similar in design to the CPM2000 study, but with additional questions to reflect the unique circumstances of UC). It would probably take several years to gather enough numbers to have statistical significance, but I think it's important to have accurate information on the outcomes of UC, the health histories of women who do them, etc.

It would be a really big undertaking and would need to be done right, but I think it can and should be done.

in all there was plenty of criticzem of the CPM 2000 study- their adjusted infant mortality for term pregnancy 37 weeks + was 1.7 per 1000- their raw data had a higher number- but still close to the national average for term pregnancy-
which is different than our national total infant mortality, preterm under 32 weeks gestation accounts for over half the infant mortality stats for our country - so the 6.78 per 1000 stat is high- the national number is closer to 2-3/1000 term births which is .003%----and the stats from the top of the page--- UC infant mortality was .8%
post #54 of 54
[QUOTE=mwherbs;12423452]in all there was plenty of criticzem of the CPM 2000 study- their adjusted infant mortality for term pregnancy 37 weeks + was 1.7 per 1000- their raw data had a higher number- but still close to the national average for term pregnancy-
which is different than our national total infant mortality, preterm under 32 weeks gestation accounts for over half the infant mortality stats for our country - so the 6.78 per 1000 stat is high- the national number is closer to 2-3/1000 term births which is 1 death out of every 500-333 births -and the stats from the top of the page 4/485 or 1 death out of ever 121 births
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Unassisted Childbirth