Workshop #7 - Natural Healthcare.
Welcome to our sixth Natural Family Living discussion: Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family. This discussion will key in on Part 3 – Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family from Peggy O’Mara’s book Natural Family Living.
Some of the topics we'll discuss are;
Chapter 12 - Alternative Medicine and Family Health
- What is Alternative Medicine?
- Basic Principals of Alternative Medicine
- Alternative medicine emphasizes "self-healing"
- Alternative medicine takes into account the whole person
- Alternative medicine focuses on prevention
- Alternative remedies are relatively gentle
- Not Really "Alternative" After All
- How proven are alternative therapies?
- Basic Principals of Alternative Medicine
- Herbal Medicine
- Bach Flower Remedies
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Humor and Faith
- Licensing and education Requirements
- Questions to ask
- Things to look for
Chapter 13 The Natural Approach to Common Infant and Childhood Ailments
Keeping Your Children Healthy
- Supplement with vitamins
- Keep sweets and processed foods to a minimum
- Consider avoiding dairy
- Slow Down
- Give your child a massage
- Eucalyptus steam inhalation
- Foot compresses
- Light foods and Fluids
- Nutritional Deficiency
- Mechanical Obstruction
- Tiger Balm
- Aloe Vera
- Lavender Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- St. John's Wort
- Witch Hazel
- Rescue Remedy
- Tummy Tincture
- Eucapnic or Buteyko breathing
- Preventative measures, avoiding triggers
- Other natural remedies
- Relaxation Techniques
- Insist on staying with your child
- Reassure your child in an honest way
- Become your child's advocate
- Know whom to go to with a concern
- Do not neglect your other children
- Spend time processing the experience
- Be prepared for little hurts to become a big deal
- Relish and Share Support
- Encourage Laughter, the best medicine
If your Ill Child
- Fever of 104 or fever accompanied by chills or excessive sweating
- Appears to be unusually weak, limp, apathetic or difficult to waken
- Complains of severe pain
- Has a bulging fontanel (soft spot) with a very strong pulse (a sign of meningitis). A healthy fontanel should not sink in or or protrude, and the pulse should be regular but not especially strong
- Has had diarrhea or vomiting for more than a day and appears dehydrated (signs of dehydration include loss of skin elasticity, going either hours without urinating, dry lips, sunken eyes or a sunken fontanel).
- Has problems with balance or coordination, or numbness in any area.
- Has difficulty breathing.
- Loses consciousness
- Has not improved after three days of home treatment
- Is under two months old
Chapter 14: What Makes a Healthy Family?
- Healthy Families start with love
- Love Yourself
- Respect. Healthy families respect one another.
- Spirituality or Morality
- Articulate your reasons
- Tailor the chores to the child
- Make rules about Make-work
- Make allowances for allowances
- Enlist the help of your partners
- Involve your Children
- Create a cleaning schedule that works for your family
- Do a "clean sweep" several times a day
- Relax Your Standards
- Forget about spring cleaning
- Hire Help
Family "Unfriendly" Policies
- Toward a more family-friendly workplace
- The transformation power of parenting
Please join us in discussion on Natural Health Care. We welcome everyone to share their personal experiences, what works for your family, your struggles and your ideas. This is an open dialog and we ask that everyone be respectful of others' opinions. Take what feels right to you and leave the rest behind. Please be respectful to all our members so that the workshop can be a place of meaningful and respectful discussion for all our members. If you have a favorite quote from Natural Family Living, please share it.
We would like to invite everyone to join us no matter where you are in your thinking or feelings. These discussions are meant to be nonjudgmental so please keep in mind when reading members' responses that this is a true discussion based on Natural Family Living and not a place to debate or criticize. For more ideas and information, please see our Health and Healing forum.
We’re excited to offer this workshop and hope it will give our members a glimpse into the grassroots of Mothering magazine and Natural Family Living.
This workshop will be facilitated by our moderators QueenoftheMeadow, AutumnBreeze and Mamaverdi. They are here to guide the discussion and keep it on topic. They will occasionally post references or ask questions to keep the conversation flowing. Please feel free to contact them at any time with questions, suggestions or concerns. Please keep in mind our workshop guidelines and current user agreement at all times.
We are compiling a Natural Family Living Resources Sticky which we will update with each workshop. Please feel free to refer to it for more information.