or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › What can and can't be bought with food stamps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What can and can't be bought with food stamps?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
For instance, can I buy coffee and frozen dinners? How about juice?

(I know Tobacco and Alcohol is off limits, as well as non food items. )
post #2 of 28
Any consumable food items from my understanding including seeds to grow your own food.
post #3 of 28
ice cream? :


post #4 of 28
Any food item that isn't hot/cooked. Juice, coffee & frozen dinners you can buy with food stamps. Most grocery items you can buy.

yeah, icecream too.
post #5 of 28
I know what you can't buy with food stamps. Hot food from the deli (but things like sliced meat and cheese are okay) alcohol, tobacco, non-food items, diet food. That's really about it.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I know what you can't buy with food stamps. Hot food from the deli (but things like sliced meat and cheese are okay) alcohol, tobacco, non-food items, diet food. That's really about it.
Diet food? Like, no diet soda or "Diet cookies" or whatever? (Not that I use that stuff, just for clarification)
post #7 of 28
Like Slim Fast or the Weight Watchers snack food, stuff like that.
post #8 of 28
After some reading, it seems the rules vary from state to state and in some areas you can purchase Slim Fast or whatnot, while in other states you cannot.

Vitamins and nutritional supplements like that also are disallowed in some, but not all states.
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Cool thanks!

Next question- Does Whole Foods Store take them/it (EBT)?
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
After some reading, it seems the rules vary from state to state and in some areas you can purchase Slim Fast or whatnot, while in other states you cannot.

Vitamins and nutritional supplements like that also are disallowed in some, but not all states.
Yeah it varies. I was a cashier and in my state you can get diet foods. I did not know other states did not allow that. I learn so much at MDC
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARAMAMA View Post
Cool thanks!

Next question- Does Whole Foods Store take them/it (EBT)?
Yes. Your local health food store should take them also.
post #12 of 28
Here we can't get high caffeine drinks like red bull and all the others , hot deli items - we can get the cold stuff, and all other grocery/food items. we can get slim fast and that stuff too. NO alcohol, or cigs. You can buy icecream, tv dinners etc. I don't know if whole foods takes them but you can check online whether places take them.
Our local whole foods type place does not take ebt, but its not Whole Foods, so i don't know about that.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoRayne View Post
Any food item that isn't hot/cooked. Juice, coffee & frozen dinners you can buy with food stamps. Most grocery items you can buy.

yeah, icecream too.
I always thought it was odd that you can't buy fried chicken from the grocery store deli, but you can buy macaroni salad and a birthday cake.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I always thought it was odd that you can't buy fried chicken from the grocery store deli, but you can buy macaroni salad and a birthday cake.
That's one thing I did like. Back when we were *really* extremely poor, my son was able to have a nice birthday cake on his birthday despite our really crappy financial situation. I didn't even have a pan I could have baked him a cake in, so it was nice to at least celebrate a little bit.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
That's one thing I did like. Back when we were *really* extremely poor, my son was able to have a nice birthday cake on his birthday despite our really crappy financial situation. I didn't even have a pan I could have baked him a cake in, so it was nice to at least celebrate a little bit.
No, what I am saying is - why is prepared cake and macaroni okay, but prepared chicken is not? It makes no sense.
post #16 of 28
I used to work in a health food store. We took food stamps (though in that state it was a food debit card, not paper stamps). I was pleasantly surprised at the number of customers we had who used them. It's nice to know my tax money was going to help people by *healthy* food for themselves and their children and not junk.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
No, what I am saying is - why is prepared cake and macaroni okay, but prepared chicken is not? It makes no sense.
Oh I know, totally.

I really like that Papa Murphy's takes food stamps. Sometimes you just need a pizza. :
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Oh I know, totally.

I really like that Papa Murphy's takes food stamps. Sometimes you just need a pizza. :
really? wow!
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
really? wow!
I know, right? Cuz you take it home and cook it yourself. They have really good pizza too.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
I used to work in a health food store. We took food stamps (though in that state it was a food debit card, not paper stamps). I was pleasantly surprised at the number of customers we had who used them. It's nice to know my tax money was going to help people by *healthy* food for themselves and their children and not junk.
The cashiers at our tiny health food place are all super nice to me and my little. I think they must feel the same way.
I hardly ever shop big stores because I can eat so much better on bulk rice and beans and spent what's left on organic fruits and veggies. But the couple times I went to a regular grocery store, the cashiers were rude. Well a couple of them.
Just so you know, though, I pay taxes too. It's not just your tax dollars.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › What can and can't be bought with food stamps?