or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Ok, here's a fun thread. "You know you're a working/student parent when....."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ok, here's a fun thread. "You know you're a working/student parent when....." - Page 2

post #21 of 87
When coworkers are discussing the latest novels they've read, and you can't remember the last time you read a book that had more than 100 words or didn't have colorful pictures on each page.
post #22 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
AMEN!
...when grocery shopping ALONE is the most supreme luxury you can think of

...when you take annual leave in 2- and 3-hour chunks so you can spend time at kiddo's school and functions
Been there for both of them! Or, the only time you can manage to take leave is when daycare is closed.

Even though your clothes are clean when you leave the house, you often arrive at work with snot or dirty handprints all over your nice workshirt.
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
You find yourself at an important meeting with a Spongebob sticker on your shirt and glitter glue on your purse.

Your 5 yr. old has memorized the menus of both Boston Market and the nearby pizzeria.

You maximize your time at red lights by filing your nails, deleting old contacts from the cell phone, reorganizing the kids' CD's, etc.

You have had a tense conversation with a professor, coworker or boss that included the phrase, "Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but my kids come first."

I do the red light thing.

My oldest child would point at the microwave when asked "wheres the oven?" and when asked what he wanted for dinner, instead of food items, he began to list restaraunts......

When you look in the rearview mirror to check on the kids, see empty carseats and start to panic until you realize you are on your way to work and not suppose to have the kids! They are perfectly safe where they are suppose to be.
post #24 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
When you look in the rearview mirror to check on the kids, see empty carseats and start to panic until you realize you are on your way to work and not suppose to have the kids! They are perfectly safe where they are suppose to be.
I've actually "talked" to my six year old and then looked in the rearview to see he isn't there because I was going to work.


My addition: when you walk into work looking like you are going to camp out overnight because you are carrying> 1) a purse 2) a book bag and 3) a pump in style bag. Oh and don't forget the lunch box!
post #25 of 87
....you can do a complete workout in 45 minutes flat.

....you laugh at people when they ask you if you've seen TV shows/movies.

....you have every weekday completely choreographed from 5 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
post #26 of 87
When your 3 year old tells you she is going into her room to take a conference call.
post #27 of 87
you're super excited when you realize you got to "sleep in" until 7:00 am
post #28 of 87
When it's lunchtime and you see that you have the yogurt and blueberries, and realize that LO has last night's leftovers.

When you are hungry for a snack in the afternoon and you go in your purse and eat that cracker.
post #29 of 87
When you're on the phone with the chipper salesperson from Disney, changing the dates of your vacation for the fourth time to accomodate something that's come up, and she says "I see you've been here before. Tell me what are you most excited about doing at Disney this time" and you say without hesitation "sleeping".
.
.
.
And there's a pause and she says "I'm sorry I must not have heard you right", and you repeat yourself and she says "Oh, my."
post #30 of 87
Quote:
When you are hungry for a snack in the afternoon and you go in your purse and eat that cracker.
LOL! And don't forget the lint-covered candy!
post #31 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by listipton View Post
you're super excited when you realize you got to "sleep in" until 7:00 am
Oh, yes, yes, YES!

And, when your 3 year old says she needs her own "biz-nuss cards, peeze".
post #32 of 87
You call needy people at work "honey" or "sweetie".......I'm everyone's mom.
post #33 of 87
Ha ha. Fun thread!

When your coworkers invite you to lunch, and you decline because it interferes with your pumping schedule.

When you get off work a little early you frantically call the daycare to tell them to hold off on giving baby the last bottle.

All your nice work clothes have drool, snot, or dried spit-up on them, and you don't care.

You open the window or the vents in the car on the way to work to dry your hair.

You get a high every time you walk through the door at daycare in anticipation of your baby's reaction.
post #34 of 87
These are so funny.

How about this one;

When your DS practices his spelling words on a legal pad.

When DD says "I can't wait until you have maternity leave so we can take a vacation."

When you haven't been to the public library in five years, but you have an entire line item in your budget for Barnesandnoble.com.

When you decide to forgo a home birth for a birthing center, because you do not have time to clean up afterward.
post #35 of 87
- When your assistant hands you a color coordinated sweater immediately after you return from lunch - to cover up the leaking milk stains on your blouse.

- when you walk through the metal detector, hand the inspector the Pump in style bag and say "yes it's a breast pump" without turning red

- when you know how to successfully balance pumping anywhere and under any conditions.
post #36 of 87
You have a secret fear of walking out of whatever supply closet you pump in and in a sleepy haze forget to button yourself up again!
post #37 of 87
You perversely look forward to pumping at work because it's the only "alone time" you'll get all week.
post #38 of 87
These are making me feel a lot better. Thanks, mamas!

A contribution:

When your DS goes to bed at 9 pm because you simply cannot get him in there any earlier, because after being cooped up in daycare all day you can't deny him his desire to walk home on a beautiful day, even though it takes a half hour to walk two blocks.

When "grocery shopping" is putting in a FreshDirect order from your work computer. (Oh how I miss those blissful evening shopping trips alone!)
post #39 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Even though your clothes are clean when you leave the house, you often arrive at work with snot or dirty handprints all over your nice workshirt.
How about spit up on the shoulder of your black shirt?
post #40 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Dani View Post
How about spit up on the shoulder of your black shirt?
Once I walked in w/ a HUGE food stain on my upper back one day and another mom said, ''what was DD eating for breakfast today?" It must have been her hand print while I was carrying her; I didn't even see it until I looked at my back in the mirror!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Working and Student Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Working and Student Parents › Ok, here's a fun thread. "You know you're a working/student parent when....."