or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › She is ok/ we came home in 2 hours---I think my 2 year old dd ingested a Cymbalta pill, should I bring her to ER?-
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

She is ok/ we came home in 2 hours---I think my 2 year old dd ingested a Cymbalta pill, should I...

post #1 of 158
Thread Starter 
I just called Poison control and they said bring her to ER.
The was child proof pill container she got a hold of and I found a pill with the shell open, when I opened her mouth I found 2-3 white granule from the pill. I think she had one pill (not even the whole thing) and we thought the bottle was empty and this was CHILD PROOF CAP!
I don't want unnecessary poke and prod but don't know if this medicine is fatal to her.
Anyone had kids ingesting medicine before? What should I do?
Should I contact Holistic doctor who can see her without invasive measure to monitor her?? I called her ped but she is not in and the nurse said to call Poison control... not much help.
I'm shaky right now...
-----------------------------
UPDATE: so you guys don't have to find my id down the 7 pages long...
She is fine, not showing any problems, we came home without having to do any invasive scary stuff. Thank you all!!!
Wow, I'm so sorry to not to update it yesterday (I was distressed with the whole ordeal, I didn't want to get on the computer), I didn't know there were going to be this many posts. I didn't get to read all the responses.
Thank you all for your prayer and thoughts. She is ok. So far so
good. The fact that I found some white powder (matted down) on the
kitchen floor, I'm thinking she must have spitted out most of whatever
that was in her mouth.
I took her to ER immediately and they only checked her temp and pulse and we waited in the waiting room for a while. While she was there, she was alert, happy, dancing around with his brother.
Anyhow, after 2 hours of waiting (not even strapped to a bed but waiting in the room), they said she is not showing any concerning signs so we came home. They said the worst symptom she can get is drowsiness and watch for any abnormal behaviors which she didn't show so far. We didn't have to do any blood drawing or pumping stomach, thank you God!!!
The reason I posted this post initially was to find if any natural mamas out there had to deal with this situation and their kids were ok.

Have a blessed weekend!!!
post #2 of 158
I think you should take her to the ER. IME, poison control is not one to say to do it if it isn't necessary (says the mom of a baby who ate a zoloft once).
post #3 of 158
I assume by this point you've already gone to the ER.

Please let us know how she's doing. ((hugs))
post #4 of 158
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
We went to ER and all they did was pulse and temp check, we came home in 2 hours.
post #5 of 158
I say this with all gentleness, you need to take her to the ER. Poison control is the expert on poisoning. MDC is great for a lot of things, but I personally would not trust my child's well-being to bunch of online strangers. When my kid ate a zoloft, they said just watch him and he should be fine. If they're telling you to go to the ER, it's because you need to get her to the ER.
post #6 of 158
: If there was something you could do at home, poison control would have told you to do it already. They said go to the ER. Do not hesitate any longer.
post #7 of 158
You need to get your daughter to the ER. You are allowing her to absorb a drug that is not safe in any quantity in a 2 year old.
Was this a delayed-release capsule? Breaking or opening the pill will cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
post #8 of 158
Please go. I have had to call poison control a few times and I trust their judgement. They know what is toxic and what is not according to body weight.

DD got into some aleve and I didn't know how many she took. Poison control figured out she would have had to take 7 to be toxic but since it was a travel pack we know she couldn't have ingested more than 5.

PLEASE GO NOW!
post #9 of 158
If poison control said go, GO. To the ER. Call 911 if you have to.

They don't say to go in if it's not necessary. One of the main things they do is reassure parents that the child will be fine, to just watch for XYZ, etc. They do not send you to the ER unless medical attention is needed.

I am the least dr-going mama I know, and I'd definitely always listen to poison control. Them I trust.
post #10 of 158
Take her to the ER NOW!! I called poison control the other day because my DD swallowed and adult Claritin and the lady told me it was not a big deal and I needn't worry, but to call if I had more questions...

If they are saying to take her to the ER then DO IT, they don't tell you to do that unless you need to do that. This is what they are trained in.
post #11 of 158
and depending how far you are from a hospital, I would consider an ambulance!
post #12 of 158
Yes, really, I have called poison control for A LOT of things and they never told me to go to the ER even when my kid ate an Ultram, toxic floor adhesive, a BIG glass of sake, umm alot of stuff I thought FOR SURE I would have to go. They really do not tell you to go unless it is serious. it's scary but TAKE HER. Hugs and you are not a bad mama, do not feel guilty. Just take her. If you have activated charcoal give that to her. But GOOOO.
post #13 of 158
Please don't take a chance with your child's health. Poison control knows their stuff. Take her the hospital NOW!
post #14 of 158
I just read the prescribing info on Cymbalta's web site, and their warnings and precautions sections sounds scary enough for an adult, I would definitely take a 2 year old to the ER especially when advised by poison control.

GO NOW!
post #15 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post

I am the least dr-going mama I know, and I'd definitely always listen to poison control. Them I trust.
Yes.
post #16 of 158
I'm praying by now you have gone, and am going to keep praying for you and your little one.
post #17 of 158
I am so worried for your daughter. I too have called poison control a couple of times (once for my dog and once for my son), and both times they were able to advise me about what to do at home. They do not advise going to the ER unless it is absolutely necessary to save a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm praying by now you have gone, and am going to keep praying for you and your little one.
:
post #18 of 158
If you called poison control and they said take her you must b/c they will follow up and call CPS.

I also agree with the other mamas here. I'm thinking of your little one. give us an update.
post #19 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
If you called poison control and they said take her you must b/c they will follow up and call CPS.
Where did you get this information? I don't think it's true. I was always told the information they took was purely for keeping track of what sort of calls they get.
post #20 of 158
Yeah, if Poison Control says to get thee to the Doc. Then you should get thee to the Doc.

Hopefully you've done it by now.
Hope it's nothing serious and she'll be ok. Keep us posted.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › She is ok/ we came home in 2 hours---I think my 2 year old dd ingested a Cymbalta pill, should I bring her to ER?-