or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Missouri, Illinois, Iowa › Daycare in Medical District- Chicago
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Daycare in Medical District- Chicago

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Can anyone recommend a daycare in/near the medical district? We will be starting in January. I prefer a larger setting but I would consider a home daycare also. TIA!
post #2 of 7
I heard there is a daycare center on UIC's campus near the School of Nursing. I don't have any other information to give to you.

Are you by chance in the GEP program?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Tristan View Post
I heard there is a daycare center on UIC's campus near the School of Nursing. I don't have any other information to give to you.

Are you by chance in the GEP program?
Thanks for the info. I am a GEP grad now working on my master's. How did you know?

The daycare on UIC is supposed to be excellent but I have a newborn and they only take two years and up- I am hoping to find somewhere where all of my kids can be in the same place.

Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 7
I am starting the GEP portion in January, and your user name sounded familiar. I think I had asked you questions before regarding the GEP portion.

I am still nervous about starting wondering if I can handle being a mom and full time student, but there are other students with the same situation as mine....

Good luck finding daycare for your newborn. Just out of curiosity, did UIC allow you to take a break from classes for maternity leave?
post #5 of 7
Hi - we've thoroughly explored ALL infant daycare options in the area - there aren't nearly as many infant slots as there needs to be:

1. New Zion Childcare Academy (13th and Damen) - our son went there for a year and it's a good place.

2. Taylor Tots on Taylor and Loomis - took our son there briefly but wasn't happy with it. Director wasn't very good at communicating and I didn't think they had enough staff

3. Easter Seals on Morgan and Roosevelt - I just checked this place out and my daughter's on the waiting list for the infant room but they don't have any openings until late in the spring

4. UIC Children's Center - for kids 2 yrs 9 months and up, and only for those assoc. with UIC. My son will be going here starting in Feb and it seems like a good place - many good recs.

Other options for infant care in the South Loop (all pretty expensive)
Kindercare
Rainforest
A Child's Space


Good luck finding something! Good infant care is so hard to find....
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
Hi - we've thoroughly explored ALL infant daycare options in the area - there aren't nearly as many infant slots as there needs to be:

1. New Zion Childcare Academy (13th and Damen) - our son went there for a year and it's a good place.

2. Taylor Tots on Taylor and Loomis - took our son there briefly but wasn't happy with it. Director wasn't very good at communicating and I didn't think they had enough staff

3. Easter Seals on Morgan and Roosevelt - I just checked this place out and my daughter's on the waiting list for the infant room but they don't have any openings until late in the spring

4. UIC Children's Center - for kids 2 yrs 9 months and up, and only for those assoc. with UIC. My son will be going here starting in Feb and it seems like a good place - many good recs.

Other options for infant care in the South Loop (all pretty expensive)
Kindercare
Rainforest
A Child's Space


Good luck finding something! Good infant care is so hard to find....
Wow, thanks for all the great info. I do not know the area very well so it is hard to figure out what's there. I will look into these.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Tristan View Post
I am starting the GEP portion in January, and your user name sounded familiar. I think I had asked you questions before regarding the GEP portion.

I am still nervous about starting wondering if I can handle being a mom and full time student, but there are other students with the same situation as mine....

Good luck finding daycare for your newborn. Just out of curiosity, did UIC allow you to take a break from classes for maternity leave?
I remember now! It's almost time for you to get started! I think you will find that the workload is not at all as bad as what you are probably imagining. I found it very do-able with a 2 year old and a baby. There were surprisingly few people in my class with kids- one other mom and one dad. Other classes may be different. UIC does allow a leave of absence of one year when you have a child though.

I am not really taking time off school. I take the baby with me to class. I didn't ask, just showed up with the baby. She has been good so far and only a few weeks to go so hopefully it won't be a problem. I am taking a break from clinical because I don't want to leave the baby at home and taking her with me is not really an option.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Missouri, Illinois, Iowa
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Missouri, Illinois, Iowa › Daycare in Medical District- Chicago