or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › pagans who cover?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pagans who cover? - Page 8

post #141 of 250
ok due to user guidelines on mothering.com I can not post a link, but if you pm me I will give you the link/ invite you to join the Facebook group.
post #142 of 250
So I got 2 new coverings today, They is Bright Green and a Dark Brown one there are the really long scarfs from The Evil Empire(Walmart) that they are clearing out for 5 bucks. I have been covering with a black one for a week now and love it. So now I am branching out to a new colors. it is nice i can pin it to my hair and leave it up all day without touching it all day. And I am feeling so much more comfortable, and very powerful. I will try to get DH to take a picture soon.
post #143 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
So I got a new covering today, it is Bright green it is one of the really long scarfs from The Evil Empire(Walmart) that they are clearing out for 5 bucks. I have been covering with a black one for a week now and love it. So now I am branching out to a new color. it is nice i can pin it to my hair and leave it up all day without touching it all day. And I am feeling so much more comfortable, and very powerful. I will try to get DH to take a picture soon.
is it one of the jersey ones or one of the "soft shawl" style?
post #144 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
is it one of the jersey ones or one of the "soft shawl" style?
The soft shawl it is soo nice.
post #145 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
The soft shawl it is soo nice.
What style of cover are you doing with it?
post #146 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
What style of cover are you doing with it?
like this but I am not leaving the tails I knot it a few more times so it is all up http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/ribbon.pl
post #147 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
like this but I am not leaving the tails I knot it a few more times so it is all up http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/ribbon.pl
kewl!

here is a how-to-vid, if you are interested! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiWVo0BSF0
She ties in in "the bun" style.
post #148 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
kewl!

here is a how-to-vid, if you are interested! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiWVo0BSF0
She ties in in "the bun" style.
awesome, that looks better than what I have been doing.
post #149 of 250
I started covering two weeks ago and am still getting the hang of it. Thanks for the youtube video
post #150 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
awesome, that looks better than what I have been doing.
glad to help!
post #151 of 250
Thread Starter 
I have the black "soft shawl" as well as a silver one and like them a lot! They're more fabric than I really want, but I'm getting the hang of it. I usually fall back on a bandana, or a really wonderfull yellow/orange scarf that is (sadly) finally falling apart.

I'm hoping to knit or crochet (I will learn crochet! I will! Even if it has to go on the TM ) a few covers so I'll have covers that match the seasons. I've been making a beaded "rosary" to wear during each holy day (make it during ritual, wear it till next holy day) and I'd like to do something similar with coverings. I'd probably use my yellow scarf as a pattern.... sort of a long rectangle that ties at the nap of the neck and covers from the forehead to about halfway down the back of my head.

ETA- here's a pic of my yellow scarf. Usually I "unroll" it a bit so it covers more in the back, but on that day it was rolled up a bit... probably due to dd2 pulling it off every other minute.
post #152 of 250
Any pics from the wedding? I would love to see what the dress and your headcover looked like!
post #153 of 250
Thread Starter 
I actually went sans-cover... I'd brought a selection of options but in the end the bride had her stylist do all our hair to "match". It wasn't bad and I sort of thought of the excessive hairspray as a type of covering. (and I did wear my wrist beads during the ceremony, they were hidden by the flowers).

But here's a pic... it was very glam.
post #154 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I actually went sans-cover... I'd brought a selection of options but in the end the bride had her stylist do all our hair to "match". It wasn't bad and I sort of thought of the excessive hairspray as a type of covering. (and I did wear my wrist beads during the ceremony, they were hidden by the flowers).

But here's a pic... it was very glam.
You look so PRETTY!!!!
And yes, very glam! I love your arm warmer
post #155 of 250
This has been interesting reading. Thanks.

I've never really considered covering, though back when we were active in the SCA, I did wear simple "head gear" because that was historical for my persona.

I can't usually get a bandana to stay put, but found a long soft scarf that was sent to me with an order from a fair market place and tried it. I may play with this concept for myself to see what works for me. I suspect that I will only really do it during ritual though. I stand out enough already for my personal style, no need to add another layer of difference just for the sake of difference.
post #156 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
This has been interesting reading. Thanks.

I've never really considered covering, though back when we were active in the SCA, I did wear simple "head gear" because that was historical for my persona.

I can't usually get a bandana to stay put, but found a long soft scarf that was sent to me with an order from a fair market place and tried it. I may play with this concept for myself to see what works for me. I suspect that I will only really do it during ritual though. I stand out enough already for my personal style, no need to add another layer of difference just for the sake of difference.
Ah- but those of us with unique personal style have even more of a chance to bring things like headcovering into the "mainstream".

Weirdly enough, I applied for a job at Hot Topic. Now, I am Catholic, but I thought you ladies would get the biggest kick out of this. I follow Benedictine spirituality, so I wear a lot of simple clothing in black and white. And I wear something on my head- all the time. Well, they told me I didn't look "alternative" enough. I told them that I was most definitely alternative, and that "alternative" lifestyles don't have to mean one set path (ie: Emo/goth/whatever). I got no answer. But I thought you ladies would get a kick out of that.
post #157 of 250
So today I was feeling completely overwhelmed, like every thing was rubbing me raw. I could not figure out what was up. I got home and realized the only thing that was different was I did not fully cover my hair today( I had on a wide headband and my hair braided up and around my head). It was really strange I did not realize how exposed and venerable I felt before I started covering. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #158 of 250
There is a belief held by (some if not all) Native Americans that your hair is your antenna. It's totally undrastandable that you'd be feeling this way if you'd gotten used to covering all of it. I still havent made the total leap (i know...) but I keep meaning to.
post #159 of 250
I've been wanting to cover for quite some time. My Dh is not supportive. We live in an area with a lot of Mennonites (Holdermans) and he doesn't want me to "look like them". Now the cover with caps, and I wouldn't, but it still bothers him.
I tried wearing bandannas and got teased (by his family mostly) that I looked like a pirate. *sigh*
I think I'll look into some wide headbands and see where that gets me.
post #160 of 250
Thread Starter 
Thanks! The arm warmers are actually my dd2's but she was really warm and I was chilly after the ceremony (we had matching shawls but they were lacy and kept slipping off so we ended up not using them)... a lot of people commented on them and they really "worked" with the whole look.

leighann- maybe a piece of fabric tied like a bandana but not so "paisley pirate"? I've been trying to come up with a nice knit or woven pattern for what would basically be a bandana, just nicer looking. Also, do you live near a shopping mall that has one of those "tween/teen" accessories stores? I don't actually know the names, but almost every mall seems to have a shop with an ear piercing station, gobs of hair ties and hats and glitter and rhinestones and whatnots. Oddly enough those shops often have a wide variety of haircoverings... wide bands, knit hats, bandanas, scarves, etc. There may be something there that would suit both your personal and social comfort levels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Religious Studies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › pagans who cover?