* Bacterial infections such as staphylococcus can occur as a contaminant. This is more common in those with Atopic eczema. Patients with heart valves need to be careful not to introduce bacterial infection into the blood stream and potentially infect the heart.
* When the cartilage is pierced a specific bacterial infection with a bacteria called Pseudomonas can occur.
* There is a risk if transmitting viral hepatitis from patient to patient through the instruments.
* Read more about bacterial infections.
I don't believe in piercing infants' ears. It is painful and unnecessary, and can have complicatios.
Here are a few examples:Inflammation
* The piercing through the cartilage can be associated with inflammation in the cartilageHematoma
* Blood clots can form because of local internal bleeding in the earForeign Body Reactions
* Granulomas and foreign body reactions can occur to the gold in the rings or if small pieces of metal are left in the skinKeloid Scarring
* This is common especially in darker skin.
* These are smooth, firm growing, unsightly scars that grow beyond the site of injury. They can be difficult to treat.
* Excising them usually leads to even bigger scars. These scars can be painful.
* Most often they are at their biggest behind the ear lobe.Allergic Reactions
* By far the most common allergy in women is to the metal nickel. Gold is a much less common allergen. It s also possible to become allergic to the topical cleansers, antibiotics, and antiseptics that are used to prepare for the procedure. Check-out www.EczemaGuide.ca
for more information.Other Considerations
* Heavy rings will pull down and tear the ear lobe giving a split lobe. These need surgical repair if the person wants it fixed.