or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › pierced ears
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pierced ears - Page 4

post #61 of 138
I'm on the fence w/ this issue, too, due to culture on my side of the family.

I actually used to work at the little "mall shop" and I've pierced hundreds of baby ears. I have seen and heard plenty of horror stories and it is quite to train a teen girl for 5 minutes before piercing someone. That being said, I know the chain I worked for required training at each level of piercing (aka 20 piercings, 70 piercings, etc) before the associate could pierce anyone under 3.

IMO, for the average person who has a babe in the hospital, gets an epi, lets the kid get eye drops, hep b, pku, etc and then takes the babe in for routine vax.....earrings probably seem like a tiny deal.

I got mine at age 2.5 b/c my parents were divided on the issue. Dad wanted it at birth, mom wanted it at 16/18yrs.

I think I'll be holding off until she is old enough to make it special and really want it. I doubt until the teen years, but definitely past the toddler years.

Also, for anyone considering piercings on children, please only get 14K or above 16g piercings......not plated or sprayed! This is almost always the real issue with infected ears. I can't wear anything but 14K gold myself. Putting anything less into a baby/small child is asking for problems.
post #62 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post

Also, for anyone considering piercings on children, please only get 14K or above 16g piercings......not plated or sprayed! This is almost always the real issue with infected ears. I can't wear anything but 14K gold myself. Putting anything less into a baby/small child is asking for problems.
Surgical stainless steel - gold is too soft a metal to be piercing with. You want something inert to the body, something that can live inside the body without causing a reaction, because it IS inside the body, in a cavity or not.

I have very strong views on piercing babies/children without consent. It is abuse. I would never harm a child and permanently change their bodies to please the eyes of someone else.
post #63 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamadeb View Post
Shes half Cuban and for my husbands side of the family, it was a big deal.. But, shes alive, healthy, fine.. And I'm not regretting it.
Same thing you hear from people who circumcise their boys. :
post #64 of 138
I didn't get mine done until I was 6, mom waited until I asked for them. However, I wasn't old enough to take care of them, and I wouldn't let mom take care of them either. I ended up taking them out, only to have them done again a few years later ( at my request), with them same result. I finally got them done on my 21st b-day, they are healed just fine (along with my 6 other piercings ) If I had a daughter I would wait until she were old enough to take care of them herself... 12 or 14ish?
post #65 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
Same thing you hear from people who circumcise their boys. :
Yep and it : me too. I think of it similar to circumcising an infant boy, same thing in my opinion. They don't have a say in it, none at all.
post #66 of 138
What on earth is supposed to be the rationale for waiting until after the first round of shots? Is this the usual "as soon as their shots are begun they're magically protected against every possible disease" belief?
post #67 of 138
Windex?! Did that person get their ideas from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"??
post #68 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
Yep and it : me too. I think of it similar to circumcising an infant boy, same thing in my opinion. They don't have a say in it, none at all.
I don't see how ear piercings and circumcising are exactly in the same league, but I understand where you're coming from.
post #69 of 138
I don't have any daughters, but my immediate reaction is to wait until the child asks!
post #70 of 138
I just do not understand why a person would want to cause a baby pain and possibly long-term discomfort for cosmetic reasons. That's just so selfish. If anyone had thought it a good idea to permanently alter my body in any way just for their own satisfaction while I was defenseless and could not give consent I would be PISSED.

I saw a series from a baby's piercing on Flickr and was absolutely disgusted. That baby was hysterical. And the mom was laughing.

The infection issue is not trivial. I've dealt with ear and skin infections my whole life. I got my ears pierced when I was 14 and have never been able to wear earrings of any kind without discomfort. I suffered for a while for the sake of fashion but that was by my choice. I haven't worn earrings now for many years and those damn holes still occasionally get itchy and infected.

Also -- the ear grows and those holes are not necessarily going to grow to be centered. As someone who cares about aesthetic balance, it would bother me greatly if my holes weren't centered.
post #71 of 138
I did DD's when she was 2 months, and although she did really well with it, and hardly complained, I would never do that again. Like Im sure others have said, that should have been her choice, not mine. It really all boils down to the fact that I did not, at the time, respect her as an individual, as her own person. I wish I could take it back, but I can't. Please, reconsider.
post #72 of 138
Quote:
Yep and it me too. I think of it similar to circumcising an infant boy, same thing in my opinion.
Ear piercing and RIC are not even in the same ballpark. To compare them is nothing but ignorant. No wonder people think those of us who are against RIC are crazy when some of us make statements like that.
post #73 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Douchehammer View Post
Ear piercing and RIC are not even in the same ballpark. To compare them is nothing but ignorant. No wonder people think those of us who are against RIC are crazy when some of us make statements like that.

They are similar. Both practices are altering the bodyscape of a defenseless infant without their consent and without medical reason. Both are unnecessary cosmetic procedures done for the sake of vanity, culture, or with the intent of "improving" someone's attractiveness/appeal/acceptance. Both are (imo) selfish acts perpetuated by people who do not stop to consider that their infant actually feels pain and may actually be scarred (physically or even emotionally) by their action. Both acts are done while forcibly holding down a child and deliberately causing them pain, then both justified by the fact that the child "won't remember" and that it "only hurt for a moment".

Very similar imo.
post #74 of 138
see, the "her body, her choice" argument makes sense on a philosophical abstract kinda level, but on the other hand, don't we all make choices for our children every day? what foods we offer them to eat, what toys are available to play with, what clothing is purchased for them to wear, whether and what kind of medical care they get, homeschooling, etc. our children might choose something different if given the opportunity, they might not.

in making the ear piercing decision for my daughter, i weighed the likelihood of her wanting earrings (high) against the likelihood of her hating me forever for getting it done (low) i chose to get it done for her earlier rather than later, because now i CAN take full responsibility for the care and cleaning of them, thereby considerably lessening the chances of her developing issues with them.

every choice we make as parents affects our children. i get that. but when other mothers choose differently than i would have, i try to believe that they are doing their best, that they love and care for their children just as much as i do for my daughter. two people can look at the same information/data and still come to completely different conclusions. so i think it behooves us all to take a step back, breathe a deep breath, and maybe not judge quite so harshly.
post #75 of 138
Quote:
They are similar. Both practices are altering the bodyscape of a defenseless infant without their consent and without medical reason.
No, not even close. Ear piercing is putting a tiny hole in the earlobe that can close up in the future. Circumcision is removing a body part that protects the head of the penis and can interfere with sexual pleasure. That little hole in the earlobe isn't really going to hurt anything but the lack of a foreskin might. There is no comparison.
post #76 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
DO NOT PIERCE THINGS IN THE MALL

Mall place as soo bad, they use guns that basically are ramming a sharpish piece of metal through your flesh, the guns can't be properly sanitized, you shouldn't be piercing with studs with those stupid clamp backs, they are impossible to clean : the list goes on

If you feel you have to poke holes in yourself, go to a piercing studio. If you think piercing studios are "gross" or "creepy" you're wrong. You think people with piercings and tattoos are gross and creepy. The studios are inspected by the health dpt. the artists have licenses not 5 mins of training like the mall girls.

If you are going to do something do it right.
As someone who used to pierce ears in the mall...I have to AGREE with you. I was 20, had no clue what I was doing and NEVER cleaned anything properly because I was never shown how or told I had to. I cringe at that now.
post #77 of 138
In the grand scheme of things, ear-piercing is the least important issue to make a fuss about. There is much, much worse being perpetrated on children in the world today. If you must find something to be hot and bothered about, spend that energy on the real issues.

Comparing circ and ear-piercing is like comparing apples to oranges.
post #78 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
Surgical stainless steel - gold is too soft a metal to be piercing with. You want something inert to the body, something that can live inside the body without causing a reaction, because it IS inside the body, in a cavity or not.

I have very strong views on piercing babies/children without consent. It is abuse. I would never harm a child and permanently change their bodies to please the eyes of someone else.
It's just my experience.... but the only thing I don't react to is regular 14k yellow gold. SSS has put knots in my upper cartilage, preventing me from re-piercing.

I am *not* tossing out medical advice here....just saying that if a mom were taking this issue casually and going to the mall for an average piercing, by all means, at least make sure to spend the $$ and get some real gold, not the plated cheapo stuff.
post #79 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkhebert88 View Post
wow i have to say i wasn't expecting to get all the same reply. i wasn't reall expecting that answer at all. to wait until she asks. well something new 2 consider! thanks
I'm waiting until she can ask as well, and knowing her she'll ask early so I'll wait until she's at least 5!!! The way I see it, is if it's important to her and you prepare her for what it is she wants to do it can be part of a "coming of age" for her as well...something she'll remember.

I was 5 when mine were done, and I remember it being very painful! Still, it was my choice and I was really happy with how it looked.
post #80 of 138
oh how i <3 MDC lol. and welcome OP!!! please don't be scared off this just happens to be a hot issue around here.. and the first thread i have seen open on the subject since i joined!!!

and Captain Crunchy it seems that i agree with you no matter what forum we are in!!

unnecessarily altering your child for any (but esp. cosmetic) reason is selfish. she does not want it. it is for you. it is not your body it is not your choice to make. wait until she asks.

for those of you who say it is not the same as circ... no of course its not. would you be ok if someone wanted to pierce their child anywhere but the ears? nose? eyebrows? its either ok to alter your childs body for cosmetic reasons or its not. yes circ is horrendous .. much more so then this.. but why walk the fine line? i prefer to stay way over on the safe side of not my body not my choice. there is no reason not to wait... so i would wait.

oo OP if you can't tell we aren't real big on circ around here either the case against circ forum will fill you in if your wondering what all the fuss is about.

just thought i would mention that incase she thinks we are all crazy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › pierced ears