or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Mental Health › Is there a Bi-polar support thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a Bi-polar support thread? - Page 17

post #321 of 572
Just found this thread and thought I would introduce myself.

My DH was diagnosed as bipolar 9 years ago.
He was put on 1000mg of divalproex and was on that dose for 6 years.
It made him very tired and doped up all the time. He never once tried or wanted to go off his meds. At my suggestion and without the support of his doctor a few years ago we halfed the dose to 500 mg.

It improved the side effects that he was experiencing and he has been on that dose for the last 3 years.

I have started to question the diagnosis that he was given at that time.
There was alot of things going on at that time. His Mom had a heart attack, he had just split with his GF of 2 years, a good friend was killed in a drunk driving accident that he felt he maybe could have prevented ( he didn't stop her from getting in the car with a drunk driver from a party they were both at.) He was partying alot as well.

I don't know if I am just forgetting/taking for granted what it is like or if he really could have been misdiagnosed.

I am frustrated because we can't get life insurance for him even though he has not relapsed in 9 years: ( is that normal to not relapse in 9 years ???)

I hate the stigma attached to any kind of mental illness.

Sorry about the long post
post #322 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
Just found this thread and thought I would introduce myself.

My DH was diagnosed as bipolar 9 years ago.
He was put on 1000mg of divalproex and was on that dose for 6 years.
It made him very tired and doped up all the time. He never once tried or wanted to go off his meds. At my suggestion and without the support of his doctor a few years ago we halfed the dose to 500 mg.

It improved the side effects that he was experiencing and he has been on that dose for the last 3 years.

I have started to question the diagnosis that he was given at that time.
There was alot of things going on at that time. His Mom had a heart attack, he had just split with his GF of 2 years, a good friend was killed in a drunk driving accident that he felt he maybe could have prevented ( he didn't stop her from getting in the car with a drunk driver from a party they were both at.) He was partying alot as well.

I don't know if I am just forgetting/taking for granted what it is like or if he really could have been misdiagnosed.

I am frustrated because we can't get life insurance for him even though he has not relapsed in 9 years: ( is that normal to not relapse in 9 years ???)

I hate the stigma attached to any kind of mental illness.

Sorry about the long post
I'm newly diagnosed so take what I say with a grain of salt. . .

But from what I've been reading, it's totally possible to go 9 years without a relapse if the meds are doing their job.

It's also very easy to attribute the depression (at least in my case) to external events. I'm 29 and have had 4 hugely major depressive episodes. Until recently, I always attributed those episodes to bad stuff going on in my life: raped at 13, school/friend trouble at 16, breaking up with boyfriend at 19, and PPD at 25. And now at 29 it's back . .. except for the first time in my life nothing bad is happening at all. This is what finally clued me in that it's a chemical imbalance in my brain, not me merely reacting to bad stuff going on around me. And as you see the trend, I only get depressed every 3-5 years. The time in between that is great (some moments of hypomania, most of it normal though)! So I can see myself easily making it to 9 years without an episode if my meds are working. And because it's so long in between episodes, it's very easy for me to think it won't happen again. I was tentatively diagnosed as bipolar 4 years ago but I blew it off, thinking it was just PPD (I've since learned that severe PPD is a strong indicator that the woman is bipolar). I got help and got better and have been great all this time. Well, until now when everything came back. I finally realized that I'm not "all better" when I feel better because at some point, it WILL come back. It's a tough realization.
post #323 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow View Post
Forgive me if you posted this before but what else is he taking besides for the Celexa?
He is on Celexa and Invega. He met with the Med Doc earlier this week. He put him on Lamcital. He is too take all three and then will be weaned off of Celexa and Invega.

Things are going to get more complicated. We have decided to move back to St. Louis. I do know BJC has mental health services.

We are leaving later this morning for STL to look for housing. Once we get that set up, we will call BJC and get him set up with a mental health appointment.

This move is going to be fast. We are looking at moving late next week.
post #324 of 572
getting back into therapy and back on meds.
they tried geodon and i swear i thought i was going to die after two days.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhh
post #325 of 572
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
getting back into therapy and back on meds.
they tried geodon and i swear i thought i was going to die after two days.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhh
whats with that drug? Anyone else have experience with it?

Is it newish?
post #326 of 572
I just got a script for lamictal and will start it tonight. I'm starting it very slow, so hopefully no rash for me and hopefully it works. I need off this roller coaster!

ETA: is it OK to nurse on this drug? DS is 16 mos and nurses 3-4 times a day, a most.
post #327 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
I just got a script for lamictal and will start it tonight. I'm starting it very slow, so hopefully no rash for me and hopefully it works. I need off this roller coaster!

ETA: is it OK to nurse on this drug? DS is 16 mos and nurses 3-4 times a day, a most.
Its fine to nurse on it, just make sure you go at least 2 weeks before moving up to the next dose. I've been on it 5 weeks and its really made a difference for me. My dd started it the day before I did and I'm not so sure were seeing any benefit for her yet. Anyway, outside of having really really vivid dreams (to the point it takes a few minutes after waking up to realize it was a dream) I haven't noticed any side effects in either of us.
post #328 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Its fine to nurse on it, just make sure you go at least 2 weeks before moving up to the next dose. I've been on it 5 weeks and its really made a difference for me. My dd started it the day before I did and I'm not so sure were seeing any benefit for her yet. Anyway, outside of having really really vivid dreams (to the point it takes a few minutes after waking up to realize it was a dream) I haven't noticed any side effects in either of us.
Thanks!

I'm starting with 25mg/day for 2 weeks, then 50mg/day for 2 weeks. I have to see the doctor again at that point so I'm not sure what my dose will be after that, but at least right now I'm definitely doing 2 weeks at each dose before increasing.

How much were you taking before you noticed a difference? How long did it take?

My life is a mess right now and I really need something to work fairly quickly, but at the same time I don't want to be overly optimistic. I just want to know what to expect.
post #329 of 572
To our knowledge, this is the first general overview of associations between MTHFR polymorphisms and psychiatric
disorders. This is a rapidly evolving area of interest, and our meta-analysis represents the most up-to-date quantitative
FIGURE 3. Funnel plot of effect size versus inverse standard error for homozygous (TT vs. CC) genotypes of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism in depressed and control populations.
synthesis of available results from gene-psychiatric disorder association studies.

This meta-analysis demonstrates an association between the MTHFR C677T variant and depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder, raising the possibility of the use of folate in treatment and prevention.
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/...MTHFRPsych.pdf

We have all of these mental health issues in our family, including the MTHFR variant. We are examining the role of nutrients, detox, and allergies in the Allergies forum. Just wanted to share the possibility to consider folate deficiency (and B12 deficiency cobalamin) as factors.


Pat
post #330 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
Thanks!

I'm starting with 25mg/day for 2 weeks, then 50mg/day for 2 weeks. I have to see the doctor again at that point so I'm not sure what my dose will be after that, but at least right now I'm definitely doing 2 weeks at each dose before increasing.

How much were you taking before you noticed a difference? How long did it take?

My life is a mess right now and I really need something to work fairly quickly, but at the same time I don't want to be overly optimistic. I just want to know what to expect.
Honestly? I started noticing a difference about the 2nd day but I'm a major light weight and respond quickly to meds. I followed the same dose increase your on, I go to 75mg after the 50mg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
This meta-analysis demonstrates an association between the MTHFR C677T variant and depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder, raising the possibility of the use of folate in treatment and prevention.
http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/hugenet/...MTHFRPsych.pdf

We have all of these mental health issues in our family, including the MTHFR variant. We are examining the role of nutrients, detox, and allergies in the Allergies forum. Just wanted to share the possibility to consider folate deficiency (and B12 deficiency cobalamin) as factors.


Pat
I don't have the MTHFR mutation but I do have pernicious anemia but my folate was though the roof when it was found. Now its in the normal range.
post #331 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Honestly? I started noticing a difference about the 2nd day but I'm a major light weight and respond quickly to meds. I followed the same dose increase your on, I go to 75mg after the 50mg.
Wow, that's quick! I don't know how I'll respond, but I like knowing that I might see something pretty soon. Thanks!
post #332 of 572
do you think this is worthy of commiting myself?

i havent slept since the morning of the 4th. ive been having very traumatic nightmares. and i dont want to go to sleep and dream of him.
im all alone in the house that my exfiance and i created together. ive been distracting myself since he left. if i stop for one second i start crying again.

i was doing okay i had a friend come over yesterday to sit with me and i felt alot better. now that im alone again though things have been getting really bad.
i dont know enough people who are close enough to come sit with me, i shouldnt burden people with that anyways.

im supposed to be trying to find another place to live but i cant do anything because im crying so much.
if i dont distract myself from thinking about it i just cant think at all.

my med appointment is later today... i cant think anymore
post #333 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
do you think this is worthy of commiting myself?

i havent slept since the morning of the 4th. ive been having very traumatic nightmares. and i dont want to go to sleep and dream of him.
im all alone in the house that my exfiance and i created together. ive been distracting myself since he left. if i stop for one second i start crying again.

i was doing okay i had a friend come over yesterday to sit with me and i felt alot better. now that im alone again though things have been getting really bad.
i dont know enough people who are close enough to come sit with me, i shouldnt burden people with that anyways.

im supposed to be trying to find another place to live but i cant do anything because im crying so much.
if i dont distract myself from thinking about it i just cant think at all.

my med appointment is later today... i cant think anymore

*hugs* talk to the psych when you get your meds today. Just from my POV, people who are depressed tend to sleep but I don't think not sleeping for 2 days is to much to worry about, especially if your taking any naps. If you haven't slept at all, no naps, no nothing for 3-4 days then I might say something is up but I'm one to talk, I normally go several days on only 2-3 hours of sleep a night for various reasons and I still function pretty decent, maybe a little cranky but functional until I can get 10-12 hours of sleep. I've actually started tracking things over at moodtracker.com and its been interesting to see how sleep has effected my moods the next day.

Hope things go well, I need to get some food into dd and get my butt to the dentist!
post #334 of 572
i havent been able to eat since he broke up with me the first time on monday.
i had slept a few hours monday morning afternoon but when i woke up he broke up with me a second time, we had gotten back together because i thought he wanted to.
naive as i am i gave him a third chance and refused to sleep because i didnt want to wake up to find him breaking up with me again. he swore he wouldnt do that. i needed to take a bath, so i did. when i got out of the bath he broke up with me and said he was leaving he didnt explain or anything he just left.
apparently i can handle one breakup just fine. two is hard but i can deal. three and i feel like im going to die if i have to spend any more time in this house.

ive been having really horrible nightmares i wake up crying from. he was always there to calm me down after a nightmare and make it all go away. im afraid of what might happen if i have a really bad nightmare all alone. what if i dream about him?
i cant take that. i feel like i just cant take that much more trauma.
post #335 of 572
yesterday a friend came over and sat with me and we talked some about random stuff and i felt alot better.
i dont know anyone i could call to come over though.
i feel like a burden as it is...
post #336 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
yesterday a friend came over and sat with me and we talked some about random stuff and i felt alot better.
i dont know anyone i could call to come over though.
i feel like a burden as it is...
post #337 of 572
How are things going for you, poxy? I hope you're feeling better or that you decide to check in somewhere. I know here there's a crisis intervention center that's less emergency-oriented than a psych hospital that may be the type of thing you need if you have one nearby. You can check yourself out at any time without penalty (which you can't do at a hospital w/o losing insurance payments). They don't have people on suicide watch, so if that's an issue for you then you'd have to go to a regular psych hospital. Still I think it sounds like the type of place that *could* be beneficial to you. OTOH, you've only been broken up for a few days, and you may just need some time to mourn the loss of the relationship.
post #338 of 572
Thread Starter 
oh poxy...I have been thinking of you.

Sending you positive energy.
post #339 of 572
So I've been on lamictal for a week now and my skin has broken out like a teenager! This sucks Everything I've read says to lower the dosage, except that I'm barely on 25mg and it's only been a week. This is particularly traumatic for me because I had horrible acne as a teenager and I have a lot of buried pain related to that.
post #340 of 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
So I've been on lamictal for a week now and my skin has broken out like a teenager! This sucks Everything I've read says to lower the dosage, except that I'm barely on 25mg and it's only been a week. This is particularly traumatic for me because I had horrible acne as a teenager and I have a lot of buried pain related to that.
If it helps I had the same problem and now at 6 weeks in the acne is long gone. It lasted about 2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mental Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Mental Health › Is there a Bi-polar support thread?