Mothering Forum banner

No spend *year*!

4K views 84 replies 39 participants last post by  sandravb79 
#1 ·
Anyone want to join along? Here's what we will not be buying this year, in order to build up savings/pay off a bit of debt:

clothes and shoes for dh and I
furniture of any kind, new bedsheets, towels, etc.
electronic goods
books/music
toys, except for bdays, and modestly
kitchen gadgets
services: car wash, gardening, etc.
new pets
eating out, except for birthdays and our anniversary
vacations, even small ones
movies, amusement parks, etc.
zoo, museum memberships

Here's what we need to buy this year:

Food (obviously)
Medical
Clothing for our oldest dd
Car maintenance, home maintenance
Gardening stuff to grow our own food

Little luxuries:

netflix subscription
museum, zoo visits (limit once a month)
camping in the summer

See less See more
#52 ·
I've been following this thread since the beginning. We're doing a bit of a no spend year, ourselves, I guess. At the beginning of the year, I set up envelopes for all "extra" purchases - gifts (including xmas), books, meals out, movies/entertainment, clothing/shoes, etc. $600 for the whole kit and kaboodle. So, I haven't totally cut out these things, but I've given myself a very small, very strict budget for them all. All other money goes either toward rent/bills/gas/groceries/prescriptions/pets/son's allowance, or it's put into savings. That's it.

We've bought all our non-consumables used for years, but I have a habit of browsing thrift stores for fun and buying what catches my eye. I also have a habit of bringing home books every week or so from the used book stores. So, this ought to cure me of that. In fact, I haven't shopped the thrift stores or the used book stores since last year!!
Yay, me!

One of the things I was worried about was clothing. I lost a bunch of weight in 2008, and I've just been swimming in my clothes. I gave myself a very meager allowance for clothing, but I don't really want to spend any of it yet - I mean, it's only January, and son is growing like a weed, so I'm sure I'll need to spend most of it on him. Anyway, I was cleaning out the garage yesterday, and I came upon a bunch of clothes I wore 15 years ago - and they fit! I was able to restock my closet! Sometimes, it's good to be a pack rat.
:

So, I guess this will be an adventure, of sorts. We'll see how it goes. Sending everybody good no-spending vibes!
:

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
How did I do? Not so great, huh? But how can I get around the things I bought? At least I did not even venture into the huge 75% off winter clearance clothing section which is usually how I get my clothes. I don't need clothes. Saw some other cute things that I didn't buy.
Sounds like you did pretty well to me. The lamp was gotten to keep the harmony among family members. I'd say that's a necessity.

The bulbs are a safety thing.

The cat litter - well, you gotta have that!

And steering clear of a clothing clearance at Target deserves some sort of award, I think!

#55 ·
Checking in. We are doing pretty good.

#57 ·
Here is my list:
1) No magazines
2) No clothes or shoes for me (except a few new bras and undies when we get our tax refund, that's it and I really need those)
3)No books (will borrow from the library)
4) No movies or cds unless hubby asks me to buy one (not trying to convert him, I need to work on ME lol and we have Netflix anyway)

I thought I had more on the list but am drawing a blank now. I am going to try and have as many 'no spend' days as possible this year!

#58 ·
I am a failure!!
:

Okay first of all I'll pat myself on the back for not getting some things I really wanted to. Like the Nick and Nora flannel PJ's that I have been admiring all season, marked down from $25 to $6. I did not buy the cute undies that were $3 each, and instead bought some 75 cent ones of the same brand that were on clearance because they had Christmas stuff on them.
I needed new undies, sorry. I mean, like half my collection is old maternity undies and my youngest just turned 5 yesterday. Lots of other victories, although it's very hard because SIL is still visiting and likes to shop and I have to drive her.

I am also not going to buy replacement glasses for all the nice ones that my 8yo dd has broken by putting the dishes away too roughly. If we have to we can drink out of mason jars until the end of the year, or yogurt containers if it comes to that.

So today we went to a yarn shop, my first time at such a place. I went there just to look and to maybe find a pattern for a cardigan for dd for next year for school. It's not usually cold enough for a coat or jacket here, but a good wool sweater for they playground is necessary. I ended up buying a pattern for just $5. Not bad, right? But then some yarn for it for $15 because I don't have that color at home that would meet the uniform policy. And then . . . .

I can't believe I did this-- I needed some cicular needles for the project. I'm a semi beginner and don't have the right size needles, so instead of buying 2 or 3 sizes to see which one would work best for the project, I bought a full set of needles. For $45. OMG I failed big time!!! I was lamenting this to my SIL as I rang up the bill and the clerk said it could fall under the "clothing" category because I did say I would only buy clothes for her, since she's the only one who needs new clothes. Also it could fall under "health" because it's cheaper than therapy. I guess you can justify anything. Anyway, if I were to buy her a wool cardigan it would probably be more expensive than knitting one, even with the supplies, right? (Someone make me feel better here!)

We also had the unexpected expense of my little 2yo nephew getting hurt and we had to take him to the ped and then for xrays. We got away with paying $150 total for both. They don't have insurance because they are from out of country. They will get reimbursed at home with their own insurance plan, so we will get that $ back eventually, but it will probably be awhile.

#59 ·
Quote:

I am a failure!!
:

Okay first of all I'll pat myself on the back for not getting some things I really wanted to. Like the Nick and Nora flannel PJ's that I have been admiring all season, marked down from $25 to $6. I did not buy the cute undies that were $3 each, and instead bought some 75 cent ones of the same brand that were on clearance because they had Christmas stuff on them.
I needed new undies, sorry. I mean, like half my collection is old maternity undies and my youngest just turned 5 yesterday. Lots of other victories, although it's very hard because SIL is still visiting and likes to shop and I have to drive her.

I am also not going to buy replacement glasses for all the nice ones that my 8yo dd has broken by putting the dishes away too roughly. If we have to we can drink out of mason jars until the end of the year, or yogurt containers if it comes to that.

So today we went to a yarn shop, my first time at such a place. I went there just to look and to maybe find a pattern for a cardigan for dd for next year for school. It's not usually cold enough for a coat or jacket here, but a good wool sweater for they playground is necessary. I ended up buying a pattern for just $5. Not bad, right? But then some yarn for it for $15 because I don't have that color at home that would meet the uniform policy. And then . . . .

I can't believe I did this-- I needed some cicular needles for the project. I'm a semi beginner and don't have the right size needles, so instead of buying 2 or 3 sizes to see which one would work best for the project, I bought a full set of needles. For $45. OMG I failed big time!!! I was lamenting this to my SIL as I rang up the bill and the clerk said it could fall under the "clothing" category because I did say I would only buy clothes for her, since she's the only one who needs new clothes. Also it could fall under "health" because it's cheaper than therapy. I guess you can justify anything. Anyway, if I were to buy her a wool cardigan it would probably be more expensive than knitting one, even with the supplies, right? (Someone make me feel better here!)

We also had the unexpected expense of my little 2yo nephew getting hurt and we had to take him to the ped and then for xrays. We got away with paying $150 total for both. They don't have insurance because they are from out of country. They will get reimbursed at home with their own insurance plan, so we will get that $ back eventually, but it will probably be awhile.
think of it this way - now everyone in the family can have a new sweater.

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
think of it this way - now everyone in the family can have a new sweater.

: That is one way to look at it I guess! I'd better start knitting to make my new toys worth it.

#61 ·
Quote:

: That is one way to look at it I guess! I'd better start knitting to make my new toys worth it.

That's the spirit! And, just think - instead of shopping, you'll be knitting away all year long! Sounds much more enjoyable to me!!

#63 ·
Quote:

You could always make me something. Then it was for charity!
:

#64 ·
You guys are awesome!

I thought about it more and more . . . for the past two years I have gifted several family members with my socks, slippers, and hats instead of expensive Christmas gifts and probably saved us a bundle of money. The gifts were really appreciated, too. So, I more than earned that needle set.

#66 ·
I've been lurking on this thread and wanted to say hi! I'm doing a mindful spend year. Do I really need it, will it enhance my life, is there something else I could use/ do instead. And it's been really good so far.

We're also trying to use all our gift cards, awardpoints, sell/give away things we don't need and that's been interesting and fun.

It's really sparking some creativity and fun for us.

Good luck everyone
:

#67 ·
One book that really inspired several of us over on the no-spend thread was "Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping" by Judith Levine

Some of us loved it, some of us hated it...but it defninitely made us think about what is "necessary" for living.

It is an interesting account of a woman who tried to do what you are doing. She says she didn't make it, I say she rocked!

You could check it out from your library.

#68 ·
I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago! It was a fun read, but not as eye-opening as I'd hoped. She seemed to live a very different sort of life than I do. I'd love to see a book written on this premise by someone with kids - maybe someone who was already struggling financially. That would be interesting. Anyone up for writing it?

#69 ·
So, it's the last day of January. How is everyone doing?

I haven't broken the budget yet, and I'm completely amazed. This hard-core budgeting thing really seems to be working for me. I haven't shopped thrift stores or used bookstores at all. I haven't bought junk food. I did use a couple of dollars I found lying around (that I hadn't written into the budget) to take the family out for Thai food (at lunch, ordering specials with a coupon and with everyone drinking water).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how I've done so far. I was able to save 14.3% of our net pay this month. Not too shabby, especially compared to last year (where we saved almost nothing).

Hopefully, we'll get a bit of a tax refund soon, too. I just need to make myself sit down and actually DO the taxes!

How 'bout you guys?

#71 ·
I bought an US Weekly magazine today
Since posting on this thread, I've done better I've only bought 1 soda (usually get one every time I go to the store) I had 2 magazines in my cart at walmart last night but put them back
So, not perfect but better than normal...The US Weekly is gonna be the hardest thing

#72 ·
I am thinking of joining this year. I have some hefty debt to pay off and we really would like to buy the house we are living in. We do not NEED anything. Sure there are some things I would LIKE. I just bought dd some sneakers...she NEEDED them. Other than that and the cord of wood that should get us through the rest of the cold season, I am not seeing anything we NEED this year. I am thinking of putting a small 'allowance' aside for dh and I for the year. Something per pay period for some fun. It may help keep us on track knowing we have some fun money.

#75 ·
I'm doing pretty good. I have only been to the thrift store once and that was to look for jeans for my son. He is so rough on his pants!! Found 2 pairs and a shirt for him. I did buy myself a skirt but it was .50. I didn't look in the magazine section or in the main clothes section. Not doing great on the soda though, need to do better on that. I am amazed at how much money I am saving!!

#76 ·
I am officially starting this at the end of february. My parents are visiting and we are doing fun grandparent/grandkid stuff and we have found we are paying to eat out here and there and picking up a few things at stores we wouldn't normally go to. So, I am cutting myself some slack for this month and getting onboard ASAP.
I realize in order to not feel deprived, I am alloting a clothing budget for all of us. New clothes have an uncanny way of making me feel like I am not depriving myself. So, I think $200 a year per person, just putting it out there and having it stated makes me feel like I have 'something' that I can buy that is not 100% NEEDED but truly *is* needed on a different level. Do I sound like I am talking myself into something? LOL?
Anyhoo....this is exciting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.