Mothering Forum banner

Altoids Citrus for M/S!!

893 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  aweynsayl 
#1 ·
Yesterday while driving in the car & having a strong desire to pull off the road & hurl.....I made a mental note to find some "lemon drops."

I bought Altoids Citrus something or other. Downside is they have sugar, upside, when my mouth is watering & puking seems inevitible, I pop in an altoid, make a funny pucker face & no more pukey feeling!! Yay!!

Just thought I'd share for those mama's who are also feeling icky.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I was working and pregnant w/ ds2, I put some orange peels in a napkin and carried it in my pocket. Anytime there was a nasty smell that made me want to hurl (which happened often since I was working at a pharmaceutical plant that fermented penicillin type antibiotics. OMG! That reeks SO bad! And then there were the regular lab smells. Yuck!), I would just pull out my napkin and breathe deeply. It really worked!

After a ew weeks, I got some sweet orange essential oil and put a drop on a tissue every morning to do the same thing. Worked like a charm!

#3 ·
I like the tangerine Altoids - haven't tried the lemon ones yet. I carry them in my purse so if I can't get to food right away (which makes my m/s a lot worse) I can suck on a couple till I track down something to eat. Actually the regular mint Altoids are good sometimes, too, especially if I get an icky taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of. (Isn't pregnancy sickness fun?!)

Carol

#5 ·
I'll definately try the Altoids......can you get them anywhere?
I bought some 'lemon drops' at the health food store.....they are more like all natural cough drops and they are horrible......gave me an even worse taste in my mouth!

Ginger normally makes me nauseous so I have been reluctant to try it, but I did try some ginger tea and it worked!

#6 ·
Yep, I got 'em at the local conventional grocery. I got some candied ginger at our local wf store & they were nasty!!! Especially the texture!! With Dd2 I sucked on Jolly Ranchers all day & ended up with a bunch of cavities
They were pretty sticky, these Altoids aren't as sticky & seem to dissolve pretty quicky. Good luck! I kwym about the "nasty taste syndrome" yuck!!

#8 ·
There are "pregnancy pops" which are sour and help do the same thing. I love the smell of orange, too. =) Oh, a very sour taste is unsweetened cranberry juice, which I dilute and drink in 1/3 juice 2/3 water. Mmm! Also good for guarding against urinary tract problems.

#9 ·
What is it about sour things and pregnancy?!
My husband says I look like a freak with a lemon practically attached to my nose, but sniffing it does make me feel better. I've been drinking lots of lemonade the past couple of days, too. Maybe the sourness makes me forget I want to retch?

Thanks for the Altoids tip. I'll definitely have to pick up some on my way home tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.