Mothering Forum banner

SCD chefs...let's share!

49K views 353 replies 52 participants last post by  anamcararn 
#1 ·
Alright ladies, it's a tough diet to start so lets have veteran mamas help the newbies out. Tried and true recipes that kiddos love-lets hear 'em!

My kiddos love salads and really enjoy chicken salad with avacado and tomato, and a bit of lemon juice in the food processor. We also had great luck with the peanut butter brownies from BTVC...1 cup nut butter, 1/2 cup honey, 1 egg and 1/2 tsp of bs. Mix and spread into a well buttered 8 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. I'll post more meal ideas later!

#2 ·
Yes, Please share!!!! LOL.. I need all the help I can get.. Unfortantly, my ds hates lettuce and avacados.. I've tried, trust me, I've tried.. He's not a fan of cooked veggies either(he's so like me it's scary)...

#3 ·
Smoothies (I use frozen fruit, a little juice, and some yogurt) are always good with us, as are chicken, steak, and other poultry. I cook a bunch, and then with the leftovers, make a stir-fry with whatever veggies I have on hand, some of the meat, and cashews. I use butter and/or olive oil for sauteing, sometimes adding a little orange juice to make a sauce.
We eat a soup made with just stock, chopped carrots, and a little sauteed onion, and sometimes I toss in leftover meat into that, too.
Ds likes beets, of all things -- I chop one up into bite size pieces, steam it, and serve it like that, maybe with a little butter on it (but not too much, as he eats them with his hands and doesn't like the feeing of butter on his hands).

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
I cook a bunch, and then with the leftovers, make a stir-fry with whatever veggies I have on hand, some of the meat, and cashews. I use butter and/or olive oil for sauteing, sometimes adding a little orange juice to make a sauce.
Orange juice? That's a great idea! (And sounds yummy too!)

Will you all share some more? After dd's chicken episode I'm kind of at a loss. I don't particularly like red meat, though I will eat it, and I like pork even less. I'm also afraid to eat too much fish so . . . what's left? (Can't handle beans yet.
)

#6 ·
EGGS! Ds and dd love them poached served with muffins (pecanbread site), scrambled woth cheese and onions, omelettes with veggies (spinach, kale, mushrooms, tomato) pancakes that are egg based-again pecanbread-I make squash pancakes with butternut, egg and a bit of nutmeg
or apple pancakes-shredded apple, egg, cinnamon and sometimes walnuts. Egg salad is always good with a bit of celery. I made an oven cake thing last week that was very desserty...apples, butter, almond meal, yogurt, cinnamon, honey and nutmeg baked in a cast iron pan. It tasted like fried dough. Dd loves them hard-cooked on a salad. Egg muffins..in a muffin tin just put some cheese and veggies. Pour beaten egg over and bake. It's like a crustless quiche. We've learned to love eggs.

Smoothies are a staple here. We either do a water base, juice base or a yogurt base. For the water we do strawberries, blueberries, peaches, banana, almond butter, coconut oil and supplements that need hiding...
For the yogurt base-I just blend in whatever fruit strikes our fancy. Yesterday was raspberries with a touch of honey.
We also do OJ (a legal one) with pineapple, papaya, banana, coconut oil, strawberry. It's yummy!

I'll be back to post some dinner stuff later.

#7 ·
Found this finally so I'm subbing for now and I will be back to share and learn.

We eat a lot of plain stuff, I'm too tired to do anything else. Poor DS is getting very restless after 6 months and he's still pretty limited as to tolerated foods.

Right now I really have to go and watch my latest Tivo'd episode of "Project Runway" before bed...

#9 ·
Yes, well I've been at this for going on two years now! And I don't sleep all that much either. :yawn

And DH has given me one whole day on weekend to sleep/read/cook/exercise/recharge.

I don't have many recipes for kids really. DS loves salmon patties made with just a small can of alaskan salmon, an egg, salt and a bit of almond flour to bind. Pan fry in olive oil.

I like the Chicken Stroganoff at Pecanbread. It's good made with beef/beef broth too.

And Chile Relleno casserole here: http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/cheese01.html (halving it to make one dish.) Great with fresh salsa and avocado.

Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
Mix ss with shredded cheddar, small amount of yogurt, butter, salt, sprinkles of mustard powder and cayenne.

I like Eggplant Parmesan too, using a standard recipe but just substituting almond flour and using homemade tomato sauce.

Link to my cashew butter cake/bread recipe:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...23&postcount=7

Yummy cheese crackers are in the post below that one.

I'll try to work on the chocolate cake this weekend!!

#10 ·
Okay, my turn to share one! This weekend I made cookies. I mixed almond flour, butter, egg, & honey and dropped them on the cookie sheet. I made a little indent with a teaspoon in each one and filled it with some blueberry & strawberry jam I made. YUM!

I'm not much for measuring (can you tell?
) but if you just go by the cookie recipie in BTVC or any of the sites really, they'll still turn out good. (I found that they were better if they were thinner. If they're too thick they turn out more like muffins than cookies.)

My jam was just made from cooked frozen fruit w/a little honey added.

They turned out like the yummy cookies w/raspberry filling my grandma used to buy from somewhere.

#11 ·
Cashew Butter Cake/Bread

1 cup honey
18 oz. cashew butter (approx. 2 cups)
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 T vanilla or both
10 eggs

In a food processor, mix the cashew butter and honey. Add oil, baking soda, and cinnamon/vanilla. Mix in the eggs. Bake @ 300 degrees for 50 min. in 2 greased square cake pans.

To make bread, leave out the honey/cinn/vanilla and add 1 tsp. salt. Bake in greased loaf pan. I usually mix up the batter without these ingredients, split batter into 2. Pour one half into loaf pan for bread. Add honey and flavorings to other half and make cake.

Can also add 2 bananas, mashed, for banana cake. Or 3/4 cup mashed butternut squash and/or ginger/cloves for spice cake. Using pecan nut butter and lots of spices resembles gingerbread. It's a very versatile recipe!

P.S. I make my own cashew butter from soaked nuts a la NT procedure. Make sure to rinse nuts before drying so they are not too salty. Also, some oil may need to be added to the nuts at the end of processing to butter in the fp to get it completely smooth.

#14 ·
You can just replace the milk with yogurt or french cream to make ice cream. However, if you use french cream from half and half or cream, the results will not be as tart as from yogurt made with milk. Some of the probiotics will die but not all.

Make sure its not ultra pasteurized as there are reports that this does not ferment well (it actually has less nutrients).

#15 ·
I need someone with a food processor to test my "Choco-Nut" Cake!

It tastes pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

I just want someone else to try it before I post the recipe. With other pans than mine too. In a different oven, etc. So you'll have to promise to try it and report back to me

PM me.

#16 ·
Can someone post their best *bread-like* bread recipe? I've made one with only egg whites and it turned out okay but I'd like to try a better one.
Thanks!

Jane, I would love to try your cake but can't promise when I'll get it done! I hope someone else can do it 'cause I'd like that recipe!

#17 ·
I stick with the above recipe for bread. Sometimes I use almond or pecan butter in it. I've never gotten those souffle bread recipes to turn out.

Don't worry, I'll post the "chocolate" cake recipe soon when I get all the kinks worked out! I just don't want to make upteen batches myself (cause I'll eat it all!)

I don't know how those cookbook authors do it.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate
Has anyone tried freezing their yogurt? CAn you do it?

Oh, and for ice cream: CAn I just buy regular cream in the grocery store? Or 1/2 and 1/2?
Another thought on this... use the ProGurt yogurt starter from www.GIProHealth.com which is L. casei. It makes 24hr. yogurt that is much less tart than starter with acidophilus. I use it for DS's goat yogurt b/c it's dairy free but I'm glad I got it. I use it for my yogurt every once in a while, it's yummy.

(Jen, I'll always feel bad for that frozen yogurt incident I talked you into!
)

#23 ·
I need some food ideas.

I'm afraid to eat chicken (or poultry) since dd had that violent reaction to chicken herself.
I really am not much of a meat eater but have been eating beef and some pork.
I'm a little worried about too much fish.
I feel like all I'm having is cheese, cheese, & cheese (either w/veggies or without.)
Guess I'll try some beans, though I have a feeling I'm not ready. . .
I need some good vegetable dish suggestions please!
Thanks!

#24 ·
I'm making my first batch of yogurt
How do I know if it works? I have a Salton yogurt maker I got off Freecycle and I'm nervous it's not working. It doesn't seem hot on the outside. I finally picked up the lid (probably a no-no) and felt inside the cup and it feels warmish, but not hot. Shouldn't it be hot? I know *too* hot would kill the good bugs, but . . . .

I keep reading that goat yogurt is more watery than cow yogurt, so if it doesn't turn to yogurt how will I know? Basically, what I'm asking is how do I tell the difference between yogurt and spoiled milk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.