Mothering Forum banner

Wash your face with honey!

236K views 764 replies 289 participants last post by  grisandole 
#1 ·
It really works!

I am a massage therapist, and have been having the worst trouble with my skin. I think I get the lotion on my face somehow (by brushing my hair away, itching,, ect.) and it just makes me break out terribly. I also have really sensitive skin, so pretty much every face product makes me break out in dermatitis. Add in to that Hawaii's heat and humidity and it's just a sad, downhill slope for my skin

Well, one of the estheticians that I work with has been trying to help me find something that I can use, that won't make it worse (I work for Aveda, so we are all pretty crunchy there and well versed in natural care for the body). Anyway, she suggested I start washing my face with plain honey, since it's a natural antibiotic and moisturizer.

I tried it and it's amazing. By two washes my face has cleared up completely, and not only that - it's glowing!!! Seriously, I don't think my skin has ever looked this nice!! We are both converts now!

Just wanted to share with you all.

See less See more
#4 ·
NOpe, I just put it straight on. We keep it in the shower and I squirt a little in my hand, and then use a little warm water to mix it up and massage it on. I've even put it on as a "mask" and let it sit for like 10 minutes, then rinsed it off.

#13 ·
What is OCM? I would be wary of putting any oil on my face, because it's so super sensitive - even essential oils, but if you have good skin, try it! My friend who taught me this, swears by honey with a shea butter moisturizer (shea butter is great for acne)

#17 ·
Honey is antibacterial in nature, is known for helping acne-prone skin and heal skin (acne wounds, skin burns, etc). With it's semi-acidic pH and glycolic acid level, it is a great product to use on your skin. Try adding rosewater for additional benefits and pretty smell.

For extra exfoliation, you can put oat flour or brown sugar.

You can use brown sugar by itself too. It's divine.

#19 ·
What makeup do you use? That might be your enemy right there! I wear makeup for random reasons, but mainly a fresh look w/ natural SPF is the reason. Honey won't get the makeup off, but it sure does wonders (I used to use it years ago, so had to make another "note to self" to revist better products). Depending on skin type, sensitivity, and budget, I can make some suggestions, as I've emptied out the budget over the years (and growing up AND working in the beauty industry) for beauty products! I'm staying natural from here on out, especially after looking at pics of my mother and grandmother at my age, and counting my blessings for the choices I've made that they didn't!

#20 ·
I'm really glad I saw this! I've been looking for a natural product with which to wash my face. But, all the organic natural ones are so expensive. I don't want to spend that kind of money monthly right now. So, basically, I've been using plain soap (I know, bad). I'm going to try this tonight ... it sounds so conveinent - honey for breakfast, honey to wash my face.

#21 ·
Instinctive Mama, it will take light makeup off, but not anything heavy like eyeliner or mascara. You could use a gentle facewash and then the honey. Let me know if you need some recs for facewash. The honey will be great for your acne, and make sure you are using a moisturizer too. You can also leave the honey on a bad pimple as a "spot treatment".

As for makeup, that could be your culprit right there! What brand are you using? The only makeup I can wear that doesn't give me dermatitis is the mineral stuff - "bare" something? Bare Minerals? Something like that. And a few Aveda products. I don't wear much though.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I'm really glad I saw this! I've been looking for a natural product with which to wash my face. But, all the organic natural ones are so expensive. I don't want to spend that kind of money monthly right now. So, basically, I've been using plain soap (I know, bad). I'm going to try this tonight ... it sounds so conveinent - honey for breakfast, honey to wash my face.
Sailor, if your face can take it, it's fine to wash your face with soap. Just be sure to use a toner afterward to restore your skin's ph. But try the honey - it's alot better.

Soooooooooooo, did anyone try it last night???

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
As for makeup, that could be your culprit right there! What brand are you using? The only makeup I can wear that doesn't give me dermatitis is the mineral stuff - "bare" something? Bare Minerals? Something like that. And a few Aveda products. I don't wear much though.
I would agree that makeup could be the culprit except this problem started about 12 years ago, long before I wore any makeup. I only wore more mascara and lip balm for several years. For the past 4 years I have worn makeup off and on. My problem is more hormone and hair related. I tend to break out around my chin which I have been told is a spot for hormone-related acne. I also breakout around my jaw where my hair hits. Cutting my hair short did not help this much so I try to wear a ponytail later in the day.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I used honey last night and this morning. I have to admit my skin felt great. Last night I used my regular Kiss My Face soap to remove my makeup then used the honey. Tonight I will do the same thing but maybe use the honey as a quick mask instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

#25 ·
This is so great! I was just getting on to ask a question about washing my face cause I've been trying the whole "only water" thing and let's just say it's not happening!
So, now I will have to try the honey thing. I've been no-pooing and using bs to wash for a couple months now and that's helped cut back on general grease production in my skin but again my face has a mind of its own! Thanks for the tip!

#27 ·
Will have to try.

Off topic: Are Aveda products all natural or do they have SLS and parabans in them?
I am in need of shampoo and conditioner badly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.