Spring babies and gardens! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 56 Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im due in may with our first...
our hope is that we will just start all our seeds in march, and put in our raised beds in march. since we can't plant till the end of may really ( i think... i could be wrong) dh will just put all the little baby plants into place. and the potatoes... and the sweet potatoes.. ok. it might not go as smooth as that.
hopefully this babe will come early in may.. and not at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
man. Have you ever grown rhubarb before? I could only imagine starting it from seed! I've had crown in for 4 years now and last year was the first year that I felt comfortable harvesting.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be fertilizing? I've always herd that they grow like weeds in our climite.
I've never grown it before now, but I love homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam, so I'm going to start with a few purchased crowns. The self-started crowns are going to be a bit of a gamble, but they're a variety I can't get around here. If they're a loss, well, I'll know better next time, kwim?

I'm in zone 6 (6a, I believe) and I've always heard that rhubarb grows really well around here as long as the soil is good (loamy & well-drained). Since mine is currently mostly clay, I'll be working in a LOT of organic matter. I believe you're supposed to fertilize the crowns in the early spring before they begin growing much. I've also seen suggestions for fertilizing with something nitrogen-rich after the harvest period, so that you get good summer growth (which leads to more energy reserve for the next year). This is definitely going to be a trial-and-error plant for me.

Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long
#33 of 56 Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM

:
i cant even imagine planting right now.
#34 of 56 Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm in Zone 7b and due around May 20th, so I'm planning (hoping!) to get all the plants in and complete the processing of my spinach, peas and cukes before the Birth Day.

Then I should have a little pause before the July/August orgy of tomatoes and melons.

I am going to buy soaker hoses and mulch my paths and beds like mad, so hopefully the garden will be low-maintenance when I need it to be.
#35 of 56 Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM

As a side note, I'm in Zone 4 (?) and rhubarb *is* a weed lol! I do mulch it over the winter with straw and/or leaves, it's unnecessary really, but then it rots in around the crowns and provides extra organic matter. It's also in a raised bed. I actually harvested the first year after I was given one crown and divided it (thinking it was okay). It does very very well, this past year was the 2nd year and I had to divide it already.

I would love to try some new varieties from seed eventually - I think it would look gorgeous in the flowerbeds actually.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#36 of 56 Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird9 View Post
That sounds awesome Erinz, I have more of a carrier than a sling/wrap and I'm hoping it has the same sort of effect on my daughter. What kind of sling do you have?

I used a MOby wrap the first time around and plan on using it again this time for the very new stage. I think a woven wrap will be good for after a few months old so I can wear the babe on my back but still have him securely wrapped up. The Ergo (or other structured carrier where the babe is in a full seated position, not dangling from their crotch like in a snuggli/bjorn) was great for 6 months plus on my back and in front. Once they start grabbing for everything it's REALLY nice to be able to put them on your back!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#37 of 56 Old 01-22-2009, 08:20 PM

I planted mine several years ago from a division a friend gave me and it wasn't ever doing that great.... I read (here I think) that I should try dividing it again and BINGO! lots of rhubarb last summer. Not sure if that could be the case from seed already, but it would be worth looking at the base to see if it looks crowded out.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#38 of 56 Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Erinz;13047366]I read (here I think) that I should try dividing it again and BINGO! lots of rhubarb last summer. [QUOTE]

How big was it? or at least how many years old was it?

I just feel like mine are weak. They are probably just a different variety then I remember. I can remember being a kid and hiding in the rhubarb patch!

Mine are 3 years old I think, Do you think I should divide them?

should we have a rhubarb swap!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#39 of 56 Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 AM

Fleur was born June 5th, heading towards the peak of cucumber season. I didn't stop doing anything, gardening-wise. The day after she was born I went out and weeded and picked some cukes...and I'm talking MAJOR weeding. I felt great after having her, though-tons of energy! A week after she was born we all went to a U-pick farm and picked strawberries! I just popped her in sling (I used a simple wrap made out of gauze material) and went about my work.
#40 of 56 Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
My garden is my place of zen, so being out there was paramount to surviving difficult early breastfeeding and world-rocking in general. If the garden is your salvation, grow it! If it is just a chore, be minimal about it. That's my advice

I have to say watching my babe crawl around in the mud and dirt was fabulous. He loves his veggies and I credit much of that to the fact we plant, water, feed, and harvest together. I can't say enough good things about gardening with a kiddo. (I can also say that sometimes it is FRUSTRATING! )

ITA with this. When I didn't have anything to do in the garden, I'd just lay Fleur on a blanket in the sun and sit with her while the boys splashed around in their pool. Or when they were napping I would walk around the backyard, pick the runaway black raspberries and mulberries, and hold her in my arms

My boys are 3 and 2 now and last year they had a blast gardening and harvesting. We taught them how to water with the hose, how to pick things, and how to pull weeds. We harvested black raspberries on my parents' property, and there was nothing cuter than watching our 2yo wander through the brambles, picking the berries and eating them as he went-his whole face covered with purple!!!

In some ways this thread is making me miss our big old dreary house The place was really too awful to live in, but the yard was amazing and so was my garden. This summer will be spent ripping out sod and starting from scratch..not fun.
#41 of 56 Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 PM

I admire you ambitious ladies who garden with pregnant bellies or newborns!

I had a garden when my son was 1 (super easy, no pests, barely any weeding)

And a garden in a new house when he was 2. (major work, lots of pests, weeding, realllly time consuming!!!)

I'm due end of April early Mayish and I don't see myself keeping up with a garden and a 3y/o and newborn. So this year I am going to try to attack the pest issues and tend to the things that I already have established:

large weedy asparagus patch
huge overgrown raspberry patch
grapevine that attracts thousands of japanese beetles
3 blueberry bushes
3 apples trees- that aren't producing much
and 2 pear trees

I think they will keep me busy!
Oh and my neighbor is really into gardening and has erected a greenhouse for this years growing season and she mentioned that she would love to share with me!! I'm sooo willing to let her do the work and share her abundance.
Although I admit I will miss having my own garden at times.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#42 of 56 Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
grapevine that attracts thousands of japanese beetles
If you find anything that works let me know! My mom has been struggling with these beetles eating her roses (and just the roses) alive every year. The larvae is everywhere! I was getting horse manure last spring and my littlest sisters whole job was to kill the beetles that were in the manure.

And they CAN RUN!! My dad acted like if you threw them out for the birds they would die but thats a lie. I have witnessed them run. Well, run for a fat little grub!

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#43 of 56 Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM

My onion babies are growing well!!! I might actually get transplant-worthy onion starts this year, and I'm sooo excited.

I have my raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, and seed potatoes ordered. Assuming I can get away with it budget-wise, I'll be ordering a Rainier cherry and two types of apple trees here in a week or two. I might put some good blueberries on order, too, but only if the things I'm posting on Craigslist sell. I'm trying to get as much as possible out of a limited budget this year, and so far I'm doing ok.

How are the rest of you doing? Any exciting orders? Anyone else starting any seeds yet?

And just because, :

#44 of 56 Old 02-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Hey ladies, how are all the rest of you doing?

I'm fighting the desire to add more varieties to my garden plan, what with the uncertain economy and such. I just don't know that I could take care of it all with a new babe. Such a conflict...:

Anyone planting or starting seeds yet?

#45 of 56 Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Dangit. Despite my above post, I have already purchased a few packs of seeds for my garden this year!! My mother gave me the green light because she said she would maintain it all summer for me (she has a serious green thumb!)

So I have mesclun greens, 2 kinds of peas and beans, broccoli, and some german chamomile and marigold seeds ready to start in late march/april and my plan is to also do tomatoes, cukes, basil, kale and maybe some carrots and onions/garlic. We'll see if I can get my square foot garden in in time for the baby to get here!

kriket- I plan to try neem oil on my grapeleaves to see if it makes them unpalatable. They infest my raspberries too. Its really sad.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#46 of 56 Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I ordered my berries yesterday, 3 blackberry canes that fruit on year 1 and 2 growth, and 6 pink currant bushes, they should be here in 2 weeks. Today is the last day for a 10% off sale with stark bros by the way. DH will be digging the holes for me where I say to and I'll plant and all that. Right before they get here I plan to get composted manure, peat moss, poles for my beans, tomato cages, and some kind of drainage pipes to get the water deeper in the soil when I water my beds. I'll spend March getting things ready with all that. No word yet from Heirloom Seeds, but they said they'd take a month to process my order about 3 weeks ago.

Today I just read all about making jelly and canning in preparation for my tomatoes, any early berries (1st year will be slim if any though even with these special blackberries), and our trip to the u-pick strawberry farm DS talks about every single day (4 months away still and it's been 8 months since last time, yet it's that big in his almost 3 year old life).
#47 of 56 Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Yay, I just got my compost delivery today! I didn't realize just how much a dump trailer load was going to be...it completely covers the parking space my DH's truck usually sits in on the driveway!!! Tarping it in the winds we've got today was an adventure, too, let me tell you!

I'm getting ready to start some seeds indoors now, mostly cool-weather stuff. Potatoes, onions, peas, and such will go in the ground in a few weeks. I might put some potatoes out early, since I have so many, and just risk losing them if we have a hard freeze and I don't get them covered quick enough. I'm so excited about this year, not because I'll really be harvesting that much, but because I'm setting the groundwork for years of wonderful growing and harvesting to come.

I broke down and added a few things to my garden purchases...a few bags of onion sets since my seedlings aren't doing the best, some horseradish (the oddest thing I'll grow this year), two more blueberry bushes, and some Kennebec potatoes. Since my husband will be working over 7.5 hours away until the first week of May (when I'm 37 weeks along!) I need to keep busy until he gets back. I figure a few extra pounds of potatoes won't hurt that much in the long run. If nothing else, I can do with them what I did last year and ignore them entirely until harvest.

My fruit trees and shrubs from Raintree all come in the week of the 23rd, and my raspberry bushes, strawberries, red potatoes, and rhubarb should be in sometime this month, too. I guess that will all depend on how fast Heirloom Acres is shipping out, and how many orders went in before mine in January.

All in all, it's looking like a great spring for me and babe-to-be. How are all of you doing?

#48 of 56 Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Lots of May babies! I'm due late May, but I'm lucky enough to be planting outdoors early April, so I won't have crunch time right before baby. I am kind of worried, however, as last year my garden was at my in-laws, and I didn't have to do 95% of the work, like I do this time.

However, that will also mean things won't die because MIL is a spaz and flood/famine waters, and wouldn't water anything left in pots once we hooked up soaker hoses.

I am really hoping that having a garden/backyard will mean that the toddler will have something to keep her busy, though, because she's so active. She loves digging and chasing earthworms, and picking green tomatoes, and I'm still reeling from the idea of having two to take care of.:
#49 of 56 Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Reviving this thread, because I am ANTSY to start planting outdoors!

I direct-sowed carrots, radishes and onions, with the 'help' of DD. Now, though, I have a table overflowing with my seedlings, who have to wait until the 24th to get outside. PLUS, I haven't weeded and prepped my main garden bed!

We are having nicer weather, and I got the rock to border it, so I've run out of excuses. I need to buckle down, or else I'm going to end up with dead seedlings and a backyard still full of weeds.

How is everybody else doing?
#50 of 56 Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
How is everybody else doing?
I'm waddley... and I still have another 2 months!

Its been 'warm' here and I was out in the garden thinking that I should get some onions and such in the ground, but I still have the leaf ground cover down from the fall, and the ground is so far away.....

I am getting super antys, I need to start seeds like, this weekend!

#51 of 56 Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Yea, the waddling began about a month ago for me, I have sciatic nerve pain and seriously goofed up hips.

Which means I STILL haven't weeded, and I need to plant in a week.

I need some motivation, and right now even standing up is a major accomplishment.

Come on mommas! I want to hear what everyone else's gardens are doing; it reassures me that gardening preggo/with a newborn is possible. I'm starting to have my doubts.
#52 of 56 Old 03-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Well, 30 weeks or so along now and I've sorta been busy. I dug up grass for my new bed out front and planted my currant bushes and blackberries, and mulched them.

I tilled up my beds out back and added composted manure to one.

I built my pole bean tepees, I had no idea they would be so easy to do and sturdy with just 3 bamboo poles driven into the dirt and wire wrapped at the tops. Also we found tomato cages, I got 10.

I raked some spare manure and peat moss on the lawn out back, the grass is a bit patchy since the soil sucks back there. I raked the dormant grass to thresh it a bit too.

DS and I planted 3 little rows of carrot seeds. This was his request at the store with the seed display. He also picked some nasturtium seeds he is eager to to put in, should make a great border for the tomato/pepper bed.

My new apple trees are showing signs of life, little buds forming and starting to open! Just waiting for April now, I think if the weather forecast is favorable I'll chance some direct sowing (beans, melons, sunflowers) before the official last frost date.
#53 of 56 Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 PM

I had my LO last March and my garden for last year was a disaster...I was so tired all the time I didn't want to think about it! LOL Not trying to be negative, I'm just a person who was used to getting a lot of sleep and so I was sleeping every chance I got and not thinking about the garden at all. I am so inspired by you ladies who are pregnant or have wee ones and still tending to the garden!
#54 of 56 Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Bump! How is everyone doing? Who here has had their babies? Getting things planted and ready as you'd hoped? My carrots, tomatoes, watermelons, beans, and herbs are all planted and started nicely. I can still weed some but not keeping up out front, I get self conscious out there where the neighbors can see me waddling around and squatting to reach the ground. The currant bushes I bought still are dormant (or dead?) - it's been 7 weeks, time to call the nursery I think.
#55 of 56 Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM

I'm 35 weeks now and an uber waddler! I've started using one of my son's little stools to sit on when I'm pulling weeds or planting seeds. It has helped a lot! I just got word at my appt yesterday that I'm not to be doing anything heavy anymore...... I have so much left to do, I'm really behind the ball for this growing season it seems.

I don't have any of my peppers or tomatoes started, I'm on my second patch of corn seed because cool weather zapped the first batch and what did come up the birds took off with because I didn't have enough scare tape up apparently! I don't even have zucchini seeds in yet! I do have a good couple patches of carrots, a large bed of onions, the strawberries and boysenberries are looking great, I have a bunch of baby celery to move around and some leeks to move around and hill (lagging on this). AND THEN I have everything else to plant still. What is wrong with me?! Oh ya, I'm super pregnant

It's raining here today and will tomorrow and there is this big part of me that is secretly happy I can't be in the garden because I'm soooo tired right now. I hope this is short lived!

What is everyone else up to?

#56 of 56 Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Erinz; I was out in the rain building planter boxes and moving dirt. My DH was LIVID when he saw all that I had done, but I'm hoping it drove home the 'if you do the big-strong-man-things on time, maybe your 5'2" 36-week preggo wife won't have to!' lesson. He's been slacking on the big projects and I want things DONE.

I have one box left to make, it's much smaller and it's the last messy project, and I am hoping to plant berries in it. DH knows that plants are what I want for Mother's Day, and he's been listening for clues.

Jamie -I get a little self-conscious, too, which is why the front yard looks pretty boring. And weedy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page