Zone 7 and Fruit Trees, and a ? re: root cellars. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello y'all...we just bought a house in Zone 7 and I want to get my dream garden going...a little bit at a time.

I am going to get fruit trees started...we were thinking cherry, peach and apple.

Anyone got any experience here? Our yard isn't too large but there are lots of surrounding farms that I figure we can get some pollination action from. Is that faulty thinking?

Also, i was thinking of putting a root cellar in my basement. But it's partially finished. There are cellar doors that lead down into it and i was thining of building a wall across it (effectively sealing the exit) and using the doors from the outside to access it when needed. The steps down are wooden and can be removed. I was just gonnna put in a smaller set of stairs and some shelves. Do you think that would work...or do you think that the heat from the finished portion of the basement would effect storage? To note...the finished portion of the basement is not adjacent to the cellar door. It is adjacent to the utilities portion of the basement which is not "heated" but still warmer than an unheated basement would be.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#2 of 2 Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
Hello y'all...we just bought a house in Zone 7 and I want to get my dream garden going...a little bit at a time.

I am going to get fruit trees started...we were thinking cherry, peach and apple.

Anyone got any experience here? Our yard isn't too large but there are lots of surrounding farms that I figure we can get some pollination action from. Is that faulty thinking?

Also, i was thinking of putting a root cellar in my basement. But it's partially finished. There are cellar doors that lead down into it and i was thining of building a wall across it (effectively sealing the exit) and using the doors from the outside to access it when needed. The steps down are wooden and can be removed. I was just gonnna put in a smaller set of stairs and some shelves. Do you think that would work...or do you think that the heat from the finished portion of the basement would effect storage? To note...the finished portion of the basement is not adjacent to the cellar door. It is adjacent to the utilities portion of the basement which is not "heated" but still warmer than an unheated basement would be.

Yes, that should work, especially if you can open that door for ventilation. Ideally, though, your root cellar should face north to catch the cold northern winds during the winter. I would be a little worried that your cellar area is close to the utilities. Our furnace room is quite warm, and would not be a good place to store food. Our basement is partially finished and heated, however the root cellar is original to the house and completely separate from the rest of the basement, so warm air leaking into the cellar isn't a problem.
The key to a successful root cellar is being able to keep the temperature steady (hovering around 40F) and about 80% humidity (another challenge if your cellar is too close to the furnace)

And just one more tip....you said you want to grow fruit. You'll need a "fruit cellar" and a root cellar if you want to store both fruits and veggies. They cannot be stored together-or else everything will rot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page