Texas Gardeners!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Texas seems to be a difficult area to garden. Originally from South Louisiana, I have struggled to change my gardening strategy to meet the demands of this place of drought and cracked soil. So, this year we dug up, hard core tilled, added tons of humus, manure, and compost, expanded, and refenced. Whew!
I have a huge stack of seeds I can not wait to get buried out there. I have started many indoors already. I am in zone 8a. I want to wait to put plants in the garden until mid March, but my partner is insisting I need to start seeds and root crops now. Everything I read says wait until March, but since he's lived here longer, he insists that now is fine. Any experience out there? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey! I'm in dallas too! I wish I had more advice, but I'm kind of a newbie.

As for when to set things out... you might remind your partner that it snowed here last march!

I know it seems really warm out right now, but the weather is kind of strange here. I just direct seeded a bunch of lettuce-- I'm sure it's the wrong time, but it was mostly out of frustration. (I have a seed starting horror story-- i'm too traumatized to get into it).

It is really dry here and water costs money, so I'm trying to mulch, mulch, mulch. Also, many of the plants marked as 'full sun' really don't hold up here in the summer. I've seen plants literally get brown and crispy if they are planted on the south side of our house.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 5 Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM

It finally rained here! (north of Austin) :
I don't know if the last two winters have been mild or what, I've had wonderful winter gardens here. My winter garden is actually outshining my summer one.
Harvesting now: lettuce, radish, spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, carrots {dh harvested ALL of them }, greens, chives, cilantro
Growing very well: onions, garlic, and more babies of the above

Here 8b we need to get most of the cool season veggies in before March. They will bolt very quickly in the heat and just not taste good.

It's a tossup for me with the water use, I harvest the rainwater I can and water as needed from the hose. I don't like hose watering, but it's been dry and arid lately so I've sorta had to.
#4 of 5 Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Hey,
I'm in Dallas too. I can offer a lot of moral support. This is my second year participating in a community garden. So I'm learning as I go - I found this as a reference
#5 of 5 Old 02-10-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

The past few years we had weed cloth down. My plants kept producing, but they looked scorched and some of the produce scorched. I finally convinced him that this year we pull up the weed cloth and heavy mulch. So, hopefully that will work better for us. My green onions, garlic, parsley, lavender, sage, rosemary and asparagus have lasted the last 4-5 years, but it's the summer garden vegetables we are having trouble deciding when to put out.

This is also the earliest we've ever prepared the area for the spring planting so I think we are both just so excited to have it done we want to see stuff growing!! LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page