Part Shade to Full Shade Perennials - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our house faces North and therefore we don't get very much sun in our front yard until later in the afternoon. Could you share with me some nice looking perennials that I can plant out front that will grow in part shade to full shade? We tried hostas, but they overtook the beds and we had to get rid of them. We currently have Live Forevers that come back every year and those are nice, just need something else to plant around them.

Also, we plant impatiens - annuals - when the weather warms up - around mid May and those last all season until around October. We're putting our house on the market this Spring, and I want to spruce up the front as much as possible.
#2 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Bleeding hearts? I have some on the northern side on my house that is shaded but a tree so that they only get direct sun for about a hour in the late evening, that are doing really well. Ferns? I have some Four O'clock s too but they get really leggy and aren't the prettiest things but they do open earlier and longer in the evening then the ones that do get more sun.

EDIT: just realized you said your putting the house on the market this year and all the ones I mentioned take a year or so to get established..
#3 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM

What zone are you in?

Most of the perennials I can think of will also take time to establish, so I'm not sure they'd be the best choice if you are trying to spruce it up for selling. Is there anything other than the Live Forevers in the beds now? Do you have any shrubs? That might be a better way to make it look pretty quickly than perennials.
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
What zone are you in?

Most of the perennials I can think of will also take time to establish, so I'm not sure they'd be the best choice if you are trying to spruce it up for selling. Is there anything other than the Live Forevers in the beds now? Do you have any shrubs? That might be a better way to make it look pretty quickly than perennials.
I was thinking shrubs as we have some around our brick patio with solar lights and it looks nice. Are there any that can take part shade to full shade? Can they be found at any nursery. I'm not sure what zone I'm in either....
#5 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM

I know you said you took out hostas because they were over grown but I would consider putting some new ones in. There are dwarf varieties that don't get as big. Also if you are trying to sell, it needs to look good right now and you aren't going to be dealing with them long term.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#6 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM

My parents have a very shady yard (I don't think it even qualifies as part-shade...they live on a wooded lot, and have a small area around the house cleared). They've had good luck with potentillas, korean spice bush, flowering quince, yews, euonomous (more of a shrubby ground cover), hostas , and many more. You should be able to get any of these at your local garden center. Hops also grow very quickly, do great in the shade, and would be great if you have a place that would look nice covered with a long, soft-green vine.

Also, I see that you are in Missouri, so your warmer climate may make this bad advice , but here in WI, my dad can grow some things, like trumpet vine, that tend to get totally out of control in a sunny yard. The shade keeps them just weak enough that they grow nicely and look great, but never take over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page