2009 Zones 3-5 Gardeners - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cutworms are killing my plants. Their season is usually done by now, but I guess our cold spring has set everything back a few weeks. I've lost half of my tomato plants and most of my eggplants and peppers. If I had only known I would have babied them in the house a couple more weeks, or put collars around them when I planted. It seemed like everything was going in so late to begin with- who could've anticipated this? Hopefully the heat we're getting now will curb their destruction.

My only option is to buy greenhouse-started replacements now...which probably means a bunch of hybrids.
#302 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Any tips for peppers? My pepper plant was doing really well in the house and now seems to have stunted. I'm having a hard time keeping up the chickweed any tips for battling this?
I bought some basil plants and interspersed them around my tomatoes and peppers so hopefully they will be alright. I bought ones that looked leafy but had absolutely no flowers on them. I've got some room in my planters so I'm gonna plant another asparagus bed in one of them. I've got lots of strawberry plants around the yard. Last year they were only itty bitty and never got any bigger maybe this year will be better since it's been so hot.
We've been having thunderstorms and rain and wind. My yard looks like a forest haven't mowed the grass in 10 days . Forgot to prune my raspberries last year and now they are a mass of brambles. I'm gonna mow back one half this year though and hopefully get a fall harvest next year. The apple and cherry trees have flowered. My potatoes sprouted wooohoooo! I'm doing them in tires this year. I'm on mat leave this year so this is my hobby. Can you tell ?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#303 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
Cutworms are killing my plants. Their season is usually done by now, but I guess our cold spring has set everything back a few weeks. I've lost half of my tomato plants and most of my eggplants and peppers. If I had only known I would have babied them in the house a couple more weeks, or put collars around them when I planted. It seemed like everything was going in so late to begin with- who could've anticipated this? Hopefully the heat we're getting now will curb their destruction.

My only option is to buy greenhouse-started replacements now...which probably means a bunch of hybrids.
We are having a huge cut worm problem too. The garden director reccomended outting cornmeal in the beds. They eat it and die becaus ethey cant digest it. Also if you can get your hands on some onion starts, interplant them with whatever they are compatible with. I am off to go cornmeal my garden.
#304 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found a bunch of cutworms while planting transplants. I collared everything with collars made from plastic plant pots and yogurt containers (that I save and reuse). That has been ok.

I've had an awful time trying to get peas going, though. My first planting didn't sprout at all, and the second, I only have 3 coming up out of the row.

Not dud seed, as a few seeds in another bed are sprouting fine. Could it be cutworms, do you think?
#305 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM

For peppers - I was a failure at growing them until someone here told me they need calcium. Last year we saved our egg shells, ground them up and added them regularly to the soil around the base of our peppers and had a wonderful harvest, so we are doing the same this year.

We our in our second week of rain storms. Last week I was thrilled because I live in a desert, but this week my plants looks unhappy and my black eyed peas are MISERABLE. They need sunshine!!!!!
#306 of 355 Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 PM

Aubergine- My peas are doing the same thing- all very patchy. I think it's just the cold, dry spring we've had here on the prairies (you're in AB so I assume it's pretty similar to the weather we've had in SK.) Peas are early though, so if they don't all germinate soon, I will re-seed the empty spots.

Apple juice- thanks for the cornmeal sugg. I had onions planted all around my tomatoes last year, and no problem. It made weeding a little more work though, so I thought I'd leave them out this year. Bad decision I guess.

alisaterry- I'll start saving my eggshells for the peppers! Thanks!
#307 of 355 Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Aubergine- My peas are doing the same thing- all very patchy. I think it's just the cold, dry spring we've had here on the prairies (you're in AB so I assume it's pretty similar to the weather we've had in SK.) Peas are early though, so if they don't all germinate soon, I will re-seed the empty spots.
I've already replanted my peas...the first planting rotted in the ground. Replanted nearly 2 weeks ago. I went out tonight and rooted around and the peas that didn't sprout are just gone. I think I'm feeding some sort of critter...

My kids are so excited about peas on the vine, or I'd just let it go. Maybe I'll reseed and also try growing some in pots to transplant if I need to.
#308 of 355 Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 PM

I went to the greenhouse today for replacement tomatoes, peppers, and brassicas. I was in good company there, as all the staff I talked to had lost tomatoes (and other things) to cutworms. I was surprised that they still had tomatoes left! The other good news is that I happened upon their end-of-season sale which was $10 for a full tray (about 12 6-packs) of annuals. So I bought a tray of annual flowers too.
#309 of 355 Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM

can we talk fall gardens for a bit ?

Could Brocoli Raab be a fall thing ?
#310 of 355 Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM

JesiLynne- broccoli raab would probably be good for the cooler months, since I imagine it would bolt in the heat of summer.

Some of my cool crop favs are cold-tolerant lettuces, spinach, tokyo bekana (new to me this year, but it grows really quick and has a lovely mild flavor), of course radishes, and mustard greens.

Aubergine- Did you reseed your peas? I reseeded my Lincoln/Homesteader and snap peas (used the last of some sugar daddy and sugar lace seed.) I also had to re-seed some carrots, fennel, and a few squash.

With all the re-seeding and transplant-replacing, I feel as though I've planted the same garden twice this year.
#311 of 355 Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Aubergine- Did you reseed your peas? I reseeded my Lincoln/Homesteader and snap peas (used the last of some sugar daddy and sugar lace seed.) I also had to re-seed some carrots, fennel, and a few squash.
I did! I have about 9 seedlings poking up now -- barely enough, if that's all I get. I'm planting the peas in another spot next year.

I also didn't get any spinach from my first planting ??? -- never had it fail before!

But corn and squash are doing well, and I have a couple of baby peppers and the babiest of tomatoes coming, so I'm excited!
#312 of 355 Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM

I've got little green caterpillars on my broccoli eating the leaves to death. I've been picking them off and squishing them any other tips?
Also the mosquitoes here are horrid any tried and true natural repellents?

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#313 of 355 Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 PM

I know some people who use the diatomaceous earth stuff for caterpillars, or rotenone (which I think is the same thing, just packaged as a garden-specific product...but check the label). I read about putting nylon stockings over cabbage heads to stop the caterpillar problem. I tried it last year and it helped some but didn't cure the problem entirely. I wonder if the same could be done with broccoli?

Mosquito repellants for you or in general? We use satsuma or grapefruit body butter from The Body Shop. It works AMAZING- but you have to reapply every hour or so. I know it's not entirely natural, but the mosquitoes are so thick here too...I never found a completely natural repellant that was really effective. I guess it's the citrus that puts them off so you could try making your own using lots of citrus-y essential oils.
#314 of 355 Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM

I am going ahead and using diatomaeous earth. Rotenone is definitley not the same thing.

"
Rotenone is a naturally occurring chemical with insecticidal, acaricidal(1) (mite and spider-killing) and piscicidal (fish-killing) properties, obtained from the roots of several tropical and subtropical plant species belonging to the genus Lonchocarpus or Derris. It is a selective, non-specific insecticide, used in home gardens for insect control, for lice and tick control on pets, and for fish eradications as part of water body management(2). Both a contact and stomach poison to insects, it kills them slowly, but causes them to stop their feeding almost immediately(3). It exerts its toxic action by acting as a general inhibitor of cellular respiration(4)."

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

"Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
#315 of 355 Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_juice View Post
I am going ahead and using diatomaeous earth. Rotenone is definitley not the same thing.

"
Rotenone is a naturally occurring chemical with insecticidal, acaricidal(1) (mite and spider-killing) and piscicidal (fish-killing) properties, obtained from the roots of several tropical and subtropical plant species belonging to the genus Lonchocarpus or Derris. It is a selective, non-specific insecticide, used in home gardens for insect control, for lice and tick control on pets, and for fish eradications as part of water body management(2). Both a contact and stomach poison to insects, it kills them slowly, but causes them to stop their feeding almost immediately(3). It exerts its toxic action by acting as a general inhibitor of cellular respiration(4)."

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

"Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
Whoa! Definately not the same thing. Thanks for correcting me.
#316 of 355 Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I got the satsuma body butter. Thanks for the tip. They love my son and just eat him to bits. He has big red welts all over his body.
So the wind blew over one of my tomato plants The main stem got bent and now it looks a little droopy. I don't know if it's going to recover. Of course it was my biggest with the most little maters on it As for the caterpillars I am just inspecting 2x per day and picking them off and squishing them. I only have 2 plants so it's not bad.
My cucumber tumbler is producing amazingly. I'm so going to do that again next year.

#317 of 355 Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM

I know it's technically late to start a vegetable garden but was wondering if any of you could tell me if there are any veggies I could try out this late? I've never gardened in my life but do somehow manage to keep my houseplants alive and kicking. And I've always wanted to try my hand at gardening. FYI: I'm in zone 4.

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#318 of 355 Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedangel View Post
I know it's technically late to start a vegetable garden but was wondering if any of you could tell me if there are any veggies I could try out this late? I've never gardened in my life but do somehow manage to keep my houseplants alive and kicking. And I've always wanted to try my hand at gardening. FYI: I'm in zone 4.
Absolutely! You might be able to get some beans if you planted them now, and you'd certainly do well planting a fall garden now - beets, lettuce (any greens, really), sweet peas, turnips, radishes and maybe even carrots can go in now.
#319 of 355 Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 PM

So when does a zone 5er plant crops to harvest in the fall? It's funny, it's been so cool this summer (thus far) that it hasn't felt like summer yet, so I even feel wierd asking. But if I want greens in the fall, when do I plant?

signature currently in transition
#320 of 355 Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
So when does a zone 5er plant crops to harvest in the fall? It's funny, it's been so cool this summer (thus far) that it hasn't felt like summer yet, so I even feel wierd asking. But if I want greens in the fall, when do I plant?
The easiest way to figure out is to take the average first frost date in your area, then subtract the number of days it takes for the veggie you want to plant to come to maturity.

For example, the fiirst frost date in my area is Sept. 19. The spinach I have says it takes around 60 days to mature. If I count back 60 days from Sept. 19, I end up somewhere around July 19 (give or take a day or two). That would be the date I'd want to plant by.
#321 of 355 Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
This is my first year gardening, and I found it helpful to get a notebook and take notes and figure out how long things needed and how long I could keep planting them for and when, etc. I can read the seed packets and gardening books all I want, but specifics like that don't help me unless I'm writing them down and doing something like putting them on a calendar.

I'm in zone 4. I think you could do beets and carrots now -- a book I have for my zone says you can plant beets up to 10 weeks before the first hard fall frost is predicted; carrots, up to 60 days before. It also says you can do lettuce for the fall starting mid-July. You can plant peas in the summer for a fall harvest. My swiss chard came up quickly, but I haven't heard/read for sure that it's a good candidate for a fall crop.

If you can get plants that are already started at a garden centre, that might be an option. I had a couple of extra spots in my garden where the tomatoes I started indoors died a quick death when I tried to put them out, and I found some rather sad looking tomato plants at a garden centre. They had fruit on them, though, and were cheap, so I took a chance. That was less than a week ago. Even if they don't ripen before it gets frosty, there are things you can do with green tomatoes.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#322 of 355 Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM

@ new zone 4 gardener -

I think you could probably plant early beans too. The slugs ate my second crop a second time, and I'm going to replant (again!!!) in the next few days... Also kale, swiss chard, lettuce, peas, as others have said...

---------------------

I just did my daily garden walk this morning, which I haven't been doing in the rain, and it was absolutely shocking. My eggplant and pepper plants are not hardly bigger than when I put them in. My tomatoes (and a few of the peppers) are juuuust starting to blossom, but some of them have curly leaves/spots, so I'm sure they've got some kind of blight. The cucumbers and winter squash/pumpkins are small. It's just so disheartening. I heard that my area of Maine got something like 22 days of rain in June. And we've had several stretches of rain the past two weeks too. It's so frustrating.

Can anyone cheer me up with miraculous stories of recovery after a cool/wet spring/early summer? Though I'm an avid gardener, it's tempting to turn a blind eye to the weeds (why do they keep growing??) and just throw in the towel for this year... I won't, of course, but... I am tempted.

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
#323 of 355 Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

How is the cool cloudy weather affecting everyone's gardening?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#324 of 355 Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 PM

So it looks like Monday I'll be going shopping for seeds and such for container gardening. We have limited land and most of it has visible tree roots poking up.

Next year I hope to do a raised bed in the front yard.

I'm thinking carrots and a couple lettuces and maybe some spinach. Only potential problem I can see is with finding a soilless mix. I can find instructions for making your own, but justifying the expense ($25) for a bag of vermiculite to my dh will be rather difficult.

And I can't seem to find it premixed in stores. Am I not looking hard enough? Is there a cheaper alternative to vermiculite? What else can I do?

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#325 of 355 Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

And I can't seem to find it premixed in stores. Am I not looking hard enough? Is there a cheaper alternative to vermiculite? What else can I do?
Just wondering why you want a soilless mix?
#326 of 355 Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
Everything is slow this year. We figure about 3 weeks behind here. But we just came back from a 3-day trip, and things are picking up so I'm trying to be hopeful!
#327 of 355 Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I've been curious about this too. We're slow going here in Zone 5. It's been sunnyish, but still way cooler than normal. Even now in July! It seems to me things are growing more slowly than I'd like. But we do have a few green tomatoes, so that's a plus!

#328 of 355 Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

Hi, everyone! Jumping in here from zone 2b (close enough to 3, right?!) in SW Manitoba. We've had a cool spring and summer and everything is really far behind. I'm doing SFG for the first time this year and out of 36 spinach plants, only 4 germinated and they're far behind -- I should be harvesting them right now but they're not even close. I'm going to try another planting in hopes that the first frost will be late this year to make up for our yucky spring/summer (yeah right, eh?!). Same story with the peas but I'm not going to replant those. My swiss chard is doing great, as are my pole beans. Cucumbers started out nice but have since stopped growing. I have 4 broccoli plants that are doing pretty good, DD is very excited to see the florets getting bigger each day. Carrots seem to be doing good and I'll be harvesting some green leaf lettuce by the end of the week (however, only half of the seeds I planted for those germinated). Also planted red pepper seedlings but I'm doubtful I'll get anything b/c our growing season is so short up here.

Stupid question but is there a secret to radishes? I can never get them to grow properly! Everything I've read says they're so fast and easy to grow but each year, all i get is these nice, beautiful green leaves and scraggly little red roots. I'm ready to give up on them but I plant them for the kids since they grow so fast.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#329 of 355 Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM

IDK about the radishes. We just plant them and they grow. :

I just wanted to pop in here and share a :. I found a bonus tomato plant!! It's growing nearby my compost bin, so I reckon some tomato bits we had fell out and started growing! I'm excited to see what kind of tomato it is. So now we have 7 plants. Woohoo!

#330 of 355 Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
I just wanted to pop in here and share a :. I found a bonus tomato plant!!
I love it when that happens! One year we had tons of gourds in our compost pile...what a fun surprise!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page