Mothering Forum banner

2009 Zones 3-5 Gardeners

16K views 354 replies 74 participants last post by  zensven42 
#1 ·
#2 ·
So what are everyone's plans?

#3 ·
I'll start. Complete newbie and serial plant killer.

I plan to try and build a cold frame for lettuce in the back yard. And do a trashcan with potatoes.

In the front we have new raspberries and 6yo cherries (don't know if I'll get any, both birds and bats eat them). We will be ripping out landscaping and trying to grow something in front (shaded backyard), not sure what yet although I have a ton of seeds.

In the fall, I want to try garlic and shallots.

V

#4 ·
We're in zone 5, practically tropical compared to some of you! Anyhoo, we still need to build our raised beds but before that can be done, a French drain needs to be installed under the area that the beds will go. Blah. I have an absolute mountain of compost and when I've fussed with it a bit, the worms are going nuts already! I work in the summer camp industry and may be getting a promotion into a huge job so I'm not sure if anything will happen this summer other than our compost pile continuing to grow. Fingers crossed!

#5 ·
We are going to attempt this chicken coop garden. I got the link from another thread here.

I already have most of my seeds and my order is in for tomato and pepper transplants. Last year I got such a late start that this year I am pretty stressed that I am going to do something too early, too late or just plain wrong.
This is only our second year with a garden.

A couple of weeks ago I drew out this big plan and labled all the veggies on it, but now I think that may have to be adjusted because the chicken coop garden plan isn't the same shape. As luck would have it (or not), dh expects to be laid off again at about the same time this stuff will need to be done.

A friend of mine is really, really into Martha Stewart and has a beautiful garden Martha style. I know I could never meet that standard, but I'd like to try!
Do any of you use a-frames for squash and tomatoes? I'd like to do that. I am wondering if there are other little tricks to help certain plants flourish.

#8 ·
I've been saying that I'm zone 3 but I just found out we are zone 2b. Hope I can join this thread anyways!

I'm planning to start my leek seeds this week. Not much else going on here for another month when I plant the cold frame for early greens. Almost all of my seed orders are in. Now I have to figure out where they'll all go.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hibou
IHope I can join this thread anyways!
Of course!

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
In the front we have new raspberries and 6yo cherries (don't know if I'll get any, both birds and bats eat them). We will be ripping out landscaping and trying to grow something in front (shaded backyard), not sure what yet although I have a ton of seeds.

In the fall, I want to try garlic and shallots.
Garlic is super easy! As long as you have somewhat friable soil (i.e. it doesn't feel/act like potter's clay), you just have to remember to water the garlic every once in a while next year. Seriously.

Cherries - have you done the bird netting on the tree?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
A friend of mine is really, really into Martha Stewart and has a beautiful garden Martha style. I know I could never meet that standard, but I'd like to try!
Do any of you use a-frames for squash and tomatoes? I'd like to do that. I am wondering if there are other little tricks to help certain plants flourish.
My garden's never going to look perfect. I'm too schitzo/get distracted easily and I have children - neither of which precludes me to a Martha garden. Besides, I can't afford her acreage, I've gotta squish it.

No A-frames per se for squash or tomatoes in my yard - just straight up trellises. Most bang for my footprint buck. This year it looks like we're going to use cattle panels for at least the peas/green beans, possibly melons/squash. Probably use the PVC pipe and nylon trellising of years past for tomatoes that need it (and cages for the little determinate plants that the tomatoes get too heavy for the stems).

Quote:

I have onion seeds. Should I be starting those now already?

Indoors or winter sowing, yes, absolutely. Or just buy starts that look like baby green onions when your local nurseries open up.

I've got my garden plans mostly on graph paper. I've got my grand plans for my yard, my neighbor is giving me full reign on her yard this summer since she'll be in and out of the country, and I have two other neighbors (one we share lot corners with, other is 3 blocks away) to ask about planting something on the edges/garden they're not using. Never hurts to ask. Besides, I'm already all over the neighborhood asking about fruit trees anyway, might as well go for the gold and look like even more of a freak.

Once I get the plotting done I'll repost photos of 'em to see if anybody can find problems with companion planting or whatnot. I've also got my list of what I want to come from this season - what I want canned, dehydrated, frozen, and in live storage in the garage or pantry. Unless we fall into money and can build an honest-to-goodness pantry under a wood shed to the side of the house.

#13 ·
Quote:

We have the onions started. We now have three trays started of onions and leeks. I thought that onions were harder to start by seed, but I just found a bunch of info that said that onion transplants are better than buying the bulbs, or whatever they are called.

I believe the word you're looking for is "sets."

Yup, the sets (the ones that look like teeny 1-inch onions) are interrupted in the middle of their growth and typically aren't as hardy as the green-onion-y looking ones.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
We are going to do container potatoes, carrots and onions, as well as some herbs and cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets and deck boxes. We've only done tomatoes, onions, seranos and cilantro (a salsa garden) in the past so wish me luck!
How do you do container onions? I started seeds and now my landlord is selling the house so we have to move at the end of may. I'd like to plant things in containers so I can take them with me!

#17 ·
Zone 3 here in the Rocky Mountains. We are finishing construction on our home. Once we move in at the end of March, I will start our seeds. Our last average frost is June 10 (booooo!). Our property is extremely rocky (looked like a gravel pit when we excavated) so we will be doing raised beds and bringing in top soil. We also plan to start an orchard with apples, plums and any other zone 3 fruit-bearing trees I can find. The good news is we have a very high water table and once our trees are established they should be fairly maintenance free as far as watering goes.

#21 ·
So I found a few great links (actually given me by someone at another message board) and I'm so excited about them. I thought I'd share.

I'm always unsure of when to do things, so here's a garden calculator where you input your spring fost date and it tells you when to do various garden tasks based on that. Really cool!

And this site tells you how to make newspaper pots! I'm so excited because I'm always worried that when I transplant my starts I'm going to damage the plant and root. With these, I can just plant the whole darn pot since it will decompose. And it's free! Can't beat that with a stick.

I'm so itching to start, but I haven't ordered all my seeds yet. And it's still cold and snowy, so, I must learn patience.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teenytoona
I'm always unsure of when to do things, so here's a garden calculator where you input your spring fost date and it tells you when to do various garden tasks based on that. Really cool!
Thank you so much for that!

#25 ·
I love that calender!! Thanks!!
I'm hoping to have a garden this year. Last years was a complete disaster. I am going to have to find someone to rotatill(sp) it again this year.
:
I have a huge yard, but apparently the only good spot to plant a garden is going to be in my side yard closer to the road. Which I didn't want to do.
Only good thing is at least I can place it on the far side of the dogs electric fence, so it will keep her out of it!

Look forward to following along!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.