Food Growing MDCer's... it's spring! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#271 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 AM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
To add to the fun? I'm freaking out about whether I should be actually planting or trying to sell my little plants and clearing out the yard in case we need to sell our house in case hubby can't find a new job here where we live. Doubtful his bosses will get the stick out of their @$$. I'm just, yeah, freaking out.
Ugh. Been there. So not fun. Can you start making a plan before he quits? We started a business that allowed my DH to quit his miserable job when I was 6 months pg with DS (we figured it would probably only last six months before one of us had to get another job - that was over two years ago now, and we hope never to have to get "real" jobs again). Sometimes good things come from the most stressful stuff... It's so hard to think creatively about other options when you're in the middle of job hell though!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#272 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
 
AllisonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 7,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a good link or book reccomendation for building a space to store vegis through the fall/winter. I am planting so many potatoes and realized last night I should prob get started on how I plan to store them. We rent so can't build a root cellar or anything though I would LOVE one. We have a garage but it is not insulated so gets cold. Though we usually don't have many days of freezing in this area. Also the garage gets mice occasionally so would need to be enclosed somehow to prevent the critters. We are trying to figure out where they are getting in but man it must be somewhere really hidden. We have a huge old shed out back too but that is really not animal proof at all.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

AllisonK is offline  
#273 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Ugh. Been there. So not fun. Can you start making a plan before he quits?
I don't think we're cut out for our own business right now - especially with 3 young children. We're too... boring to be gutsy like that. At least for the forseeable future. Plus most entrepreneurs work 100+ hour work weeks. That much work is what's stressing us out to start with, you know? We miss downtime, family time, seeing each other, etc.

Right now, I think he wants to see if/how things change at work. But I doubt it, so I'm onto the next plan. The whole 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile' thing - we've been pretty accommodating in the past, but this is just too much. He shouldn't be logging more work hours than the owner (who's the only other person in the office that knows almost as much about the jobs hubby's working on). Anyway. So we were planning to sell our car (hopefully for about $20K), buy my sister a little car and switch with her - she has my dad's old Highlander. But now, if we sell it, we'll be sticking that in the bank to float us for a few months if/when he does need to quit. Three kids in an older Geo Prizm (we have that and a wood-cutting pickup)... ah, good times. But if he can't find a job here and finds one someplace else, there you go. I just really, really don't wanna move.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Anyone have a good link or book reccomendation for building a space to store vegis through the fall/winter.
Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel.
Just buy it from Amazon.com, it's totally worth it.
Our garage is only partially insulated (one wall is up against the den, other is up against the coat closet and stairwell opening), and I had butternut squash harvested in October last until about February until someone knocked the stem off. And that was just laying on the carpet remnant we have in front of the door to the garage out there.

I want to say... got an old broken freezer? If you make the vent openings mouse-proof and make it so kids can't get stuck in it, that may be something to look at. We have a dead 4cf chest freezer I'd been trying to convince hubby to bury for me, but I still haven't been convincing enough. *sigh*

And yeah, mice are annoying. We had one or two mice getting in behind an outlet cover. They'd knawed off a tiny bit of the drywall, completely hidden by the cover. It was insane.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#274 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Anyone have a good link or book reccomendation for building a space to store vegis through the fall/winter.
Hi Allison ... I don't know much about it yet, but a lot of people down here in Eugene store their potatoes and carrots in the ground - they just put them in well drained soil and leave them in the ground all winter, dig 'em up when they need them. Maybe worth learning about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
I don't think we're cut out for our own business right now - especially with 3 young children. We're too... boring to be gutsy like that. At least for the forseeable future. Plus most entrepreneurs work 100+ hour work weeks. That much work is what's stressing us out to start with, you know? We miss downtime, family time, seeing each other, etc.
I hear you. We're really fortunate - we have two businesses now (mine and DH's), and we both work about 1/2 time - I figure that between us we put in 40-50 hours a week. It's been awesome for our two little ones (and DS is autistic, so the extra hands and time has been huge for keeping life sane). So it can be done, but it's definitely not for everyone. I think your car selling plan sounds good - is your town at all bikeable? I have a bike trailer, which rocks for hauling kids and stuff (although I'm not too sure I can get a bag of mulch in there with them today, I'm going to try!).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#275 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
I hear you. We're really fortunate - we have two businesses now (mine and DH's), and we both work about 1/2 time - I figure that between us we put in 40-50 hours a week. It's been awesome for our two little ones (and DS is autistic, so the extra hands and time has been huge for keeping life sane). So it can be done, but it's definitely not for everyone. I think your car selling plan sounds good - is your town at all bikeable? I have a bike trailer, which rocks for hauling kids and stuff (although I'm not too sure I can get a bag of mulch in there with them today, I'm going to try!).
Nice! You guys are lucky.
Depends on your definition of biking. We live slightly uphill from our little town's "downtown." So hauling a bike trailer of kids and groceries totalling 100lbs is pretty draining. And that would be if the 5.5yo can keep up and bike 1.5miles one way without getting hit by a car (he distracts so darned easily, it's annoying - I can't tell you how many door frames he's smacked into just because he wasn't watching where he was going). But that's only in the summer. Maybe a little in spring/fall, but only a little. But biking in 2-6 feet of snow with a trailer... my bike trailer rocks, but it's not magic.

One thing I had been slowly working on though was growing as much food out of our yard as possible... so then in a year or three when I have surpluses of, say, asparagus or tomatoes or apples (hah, we do so much cider and applesauce it's ridiculous) I could just hang a sign out front with those for sale or even go in with a friend on a farmer's market booth. That was my long term plan for me to play with as the kids get older and slightly more self-sufficient and out of the boob-tick phase.

It would just break my heart to have to rip it all up to sell the house. Since most people see a food garden as a liability or something ugly (vs. plain grass).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#276 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
 
celestialdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just getting a chance to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Isn't it neat? Sometimes people think I'm a farm with all I do, yet it's just my backyard (well, except two apple trees in the side yard).

Which side of the Cascades are you on? There's Raintree I believe over in Morton, and there's various other local nurseries every which way. My grandma got her now-ginormous blueberry bushes from a now-defunct nursery in Chehalis - the bushes were at least 4-5 feet wide and 5-7 feet tall last I saw (unless my cousins yanked them out since then). So for bang-for-your-buck, I still recommend high-bush varieties. Growing vertical and all.
I'm in Western WA, on the south end of the sound. I thought Raintree was in Chehalis, maybe I'm thinking of something else. That was where I was planning on going to go get blueberry bushes and *maaaybe* a dwarf apple tree of two if I can find enough room. I definitely plan on the high bush varieties as I am very limited on space. I've heard lots of great things about Raintree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
What did you guys use to make your raised beds?
We used untreated cedar boards, since they naturally repel insects and rot. My inlaws have had good success with using them for a good 4-5 years at a time. Since we don't plan on staying in our house more than 5 years probably, I didn't want to use bricks or anything like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I'm doing fish parts (that's all they had ), root stuff (root zone brand or whatever they have at your local nursery, I got the organic stuff today at www.groworganic.com), bone meal (my dad already has some so that's easy), egg shells, organic fertilizer (have that already for the artichokes), and maybe the aspirin if I remember to pick some up. I guess that's all of it. I really need these to grow for Farmers' without BER so I'm biting the bullet and hopefully I will be rewarded with lots of tomatoes.

I seriously hadn't thought about adding a bunch of extras like that! I'm going to have a ton of tomatoes this year, so I think I may try this. I'm thinking I may use just fish fertilizer liquid instead of the fish heads, egg shells and I will get some Root stuff and some aspirin. Oh and worm tea too! I gave my seeds to my MIL and we currently have 108 tomato starts Between my garden, her garden and a couple of my friends...I'm sure they will all find good homes. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with a bunch though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
To add to the fun? I'm freaking out about whether I should be actually planting or trying to sell my little plants and clearing out the yard in case we need to sell our house in case hubby can't find a new job here where we live. Doubtful his bosses will get the stick out of their @$$. I'm just, yeah, freaking out.
s That is really hard. A good friend of mine is going through something similar. I hope everything works out okay!


My new garden beds are finally done, except we ran out of soil/compost, UGH! DH is going to make another trip to get some more tonight and then I can start planting a few things. Most of the things I want to plant are not ready to be planted for a few weeks though, so I am anxiously doing nothing at the moment I really want to get the garden in ASAP so our harvests are earlier rather than later. DH is worried that I'm going to be "too pregnant" to do much in the garden in the late summer/early fall and that he is going to end up doing it all.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

celestialdreamer is offline  
#277 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I'm in Western WA, on the south end of the sound. I thought Raintree was in Chehalis, maybe I'm thinking of something else. That was where I was planning on going to go get blueberry bushes and *maaaybe* a dwarf apple tree of two if I can find enough room. I definitely plan on the high bush varieties as I am very limited on space. I've heard lots of great things about Raintree!

My new garden beds are finally done, except we ran out of soil/compost, UGH! DH is going to make another trip to get some more tonight and then I can start planting a few things. Most of the things I want to plant are not ready to be planted for a few weeks though, so I am anxiously doing nothing at the moment I really want to get the garden in ASAP so our harvests are earlier rather than later. DH is worried that I'm going to be "too pregnant" to do much in the garden in the late summer/early fall and that he is going to end up doing it all.
Yup, down in Morton. Most people don't know Morton though, Chehalis is easier to remember. My grandma lived between Winlock and Napavine for most of her adult life, so I got to visit the area fairly frequently.

I hear you on the anxiously doing nothing. Amen. It'll probably snow another time or two in the next month. Um, you're not due until December. Unless you have major medical issues or are on bedrest or something, you should be fine. Most of your "golden" second trimester is during summer. I could still usually cook and such until 7-8 months along. 9mo is when I start being sluglike. But your pregnancies are probably a little different than mine.

Last year I was planting up until the day before I delivered. Tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, potatoes, beans, peas, everything. Only thing I didn't get in the ground were zucchini and more cucumbers. And my little girl didn't come out until 41w6d. My best friend was the little $8 stool from Walmart. Nice and low to the ground so I could sit with my giant belly and keep planting/weeding/whatever since my hips and pelvis were shot. I still use it, actually. Makes it easier to weed when the beds are as infested with weeds and evil Bermuda grass like mine are.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#278 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
 
smeisnotapirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 5,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

Last year I was planting up until the day before I delivered. Tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, potatoes, beans, peas, everything. Only thing I didn't get in the ground were zucchini and more cucumbers. And my little girl didn't come out until 41w6d. My best friend was the little $8 stool from Walmart. Nice and low to the ground so I could sit with my giant belly and keep planting/weeding/whatever since my hips and pelvis were shot. I still use it, actually. Makes it easier to weed when the beds are as infested with weeds and evil Bermuda grass like mine are.
Ditto to all that. DS was born in early June and due late May. June 1, the day before I started my 3-day marathon labor , I was sitting on a kneeling pad, weeding. Sit, weed, scoot, repeat.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

 

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

smeisnotapirate is offline  
#279 of 295 Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Nice! You guys are lucky.
Depends on your definition of biking... biking in 2-6 feet of snow with a trailer... my bike trailer rocks, but it's not magic.
(
Yeah, I can't say as how uphill in the snow sounds like fun! I like your idea of an urban farmstand though - in my town, that would be a big success. I hope things settle down some at your DH's job.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#280 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
 
Sandrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The snow is almost gone!!!! I can see my raised beds and maybe soon, but i'm not holding my breath, the earth will warm up enough to put in onions and maybe cold crop veggies. eek I can't wait.

Our LFD is June 8th or so, so i will wait until the wkend after to sow my plants.

I have planned my garden on paper and can't wait to actually do something than just stare at the paper, like working in the soil to get ready to sow.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Sandrine is offline  
#281 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 AM
 
ferra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, how far apart should I thin out my radishes? They are still kinda small, maybe only 1" high.

Thanks!
ferra is offline  
#282 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 AM
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perched on the Cheesewheel of Doom
Posts: 2,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, i've started about 1/2 my list! and on a whim, i made a bed for dandelion greens. and miners lettuce. and i think we may have gotu kala all over our property too. does anyone have exp with cultivating dandelion greens???

btw, i need fish heads now!
ScarletBegonias is offline  
#283 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 AM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Ditto to all that. DS was born in early June and due late May. June 1, the day before I started my 3-day marathon labor , I was sitting on a kneeling pad, weeding. Sit, weed, scoot, repeat.
Yeah, I kept trying to garden the girl out of me, and would get 4-5 hours of contractions that would peter out. But the good news? My labor was a fast and furious 1.5 hours when she did decide to come because I'd been contracting on and off for 5+ weeks before that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Yeah, I can't say as how uphill in the snow sounds like fun! I like your idea of an urban farmstand though - in my town, that would be a big success. I hope things settle down some at your DH's job.
Eh, not so much of a farmstand quite yet as much as a sign saying knock on the door for asparagus at $1-$1.50lb or whatever it is I've got. Like I tell people, you know what kind of damage I could do with even an acre (my entire house lot is .28 acre).
As for the job... heehee, the hits just keep coming. One of hubby's coworkers quit tonight at 9:30pm. Via email. Not sure whether he's completely done (what hubby thinks) or he might actually put in 2 weeks. Hah. Serves 'em right.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#284 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 AM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferra View Post
Hey, how far apart should I thin out my radishes? They are still kinda small, maybe only 1" high.
An inch or two apart, depending on how big you want your radishes to grow. I think.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#285 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 AM
 
mamafish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Yeah, I kept trying to garden the girl out of me
I knew there was something I forgot to try . (Both of mine went way past 40 weeks).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
mamafish9 is offline  
#286 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
 
AllisonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 7,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weird I quoted but its all gone and I of course don't remember it all.

Thanks for the book recs!

Deb Hi

My Grandma lives in Ryderwood and I used to go to her house every summer. We would grocery shop in Winlock usually. Longview if she decided but usually Winlock as it was closer. Its so weird but the longer I am on MDC the more people I meet who have ties or know of this little area. Most people I know are like huh what? Like they think nothing exists between Olympia and Vancouver or something.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

AllisonK is offline  
#287 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
My Grandma lives in Ryderwood and I used to go to her house every summer. We would grocery shop in Winlock usually. Longview if she decided but usually Winlock as it was closer. Its so weird but the longer I am on MDC the more people I meet who have ties or know of this little area. Most people I know are like huh what? Like they think nothing exists between Olympia and Vancouver or something.
Yeah, Longview was the "big" city that took an entire day. Gosh, I loved going to Dick's for new shoes. Good prices and decent variety, at least last time I was there.
Winlock was it's own little world... my grandma knew this guy that started out as a bagger at the IGA there in his teenage years. He's now the very middle-aged produce guy at the Safeway in Centralia. My parents rented a trailer from the then-owners of Shakertown. And my grandparents even got their milk fresh from a dairy a few miles away (between Avery Rd. and Winlock on the highway there), the still-there one-room (or maybe it's 3-room now) schoolhouse my dad and uncles and cousins went to that my second cousins are now attending, and there was a little egg farm right there on the highway near the grange at one point. The dairy and chicken farms are long gone, but the memories of going there every Saturday aren't.
If you want an even more fun little trip, my mom worked in Toledo for years. Most people who know Winlock don't even have a clue about Toledo.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#288 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Jenn_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this thread.

I'm getting so : at this cold, wet spring. I had wonderful success growing tomato and other plants from seed and now I'm fighting to keep my 60+ tomato plants alive because the weather sucks.

They are getting too big for their paper pots and we've moved so I don't have a good light setup at this place. We had 70 and 80 degree weather last week and now we're back to 50 and cloudy/rain. Blah, blah, blah. I'm just whining.


DH tilled 2 beautiful garden plots on the last nice day last week (thank goodness!!) and I'm so itching to get stuff in there!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
Jenn_M is offline  
#289 of 295 Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
 
PiesandAbrosmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Leadville CO
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been planting here and there-it's beans tomorrow:

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
PiesandAbrosmama is offline  
#290 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 AM
 
smeisnotapirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 5,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just need a weekend with no rain.

One.

Weekend.

We haven't been able to rent the roto-tiller because it's rain in the forecast for this weekend and it rained last weekend. So we have HUMONGO peas that are starting to climb up each other and whatever they can attach to and NO GARDEN!!!!!!!



</rant>

Rain again this weekend. Probably no garden work. I need herbs, though. All we have is basil.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

 

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

smeisnotapirate is offline  
#291 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Carlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our peas are popping up in the garden. Less than a month until the last expected frost date. Yay! I asked my family for flowers seeds for mother's day. We have lots of flower beds which have some good perennials, but I would like to fill them in more, and have lots of beautiful colourful flowers.

Our tomato plants are doing great under the light in the basement. We have some cantaloupes, pumpkin, and a few different kinds of peppers started as well. Makes me hungry

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Carlyn is offline  
#292 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
 
AllisonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 7,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I left my pumpkins out on the porch (covered) last night. I've been leaving them out during the day for about 6 days now as they are HUGE! The kids planted them in pots as the front porch gets really hot and sunny all summer so we are going to put them out there. One of them is at least 2-3 feet long already. Do you think they are okay to just leave out now? Honestly I am not expecting much from them as they are in pots and I have never had luck with either here cause of the rain and cooler temps. But one small pumpkin or watermelon would sure make the kids happy.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

AllisonK is offline  
#293 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
serenetabbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere with my hands in the dirt
Posts: 4,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is getting gigantic, so I am going to start the monthly ones again

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
serenetabbie is offline  
#294 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Link to serenetabbie's new May Thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1077876

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#295 of 295 Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
 
celestialdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Yup, down in Morton. Most people don't know Morton though, Chehalis is easier to remember. My grandma lived between Winlock and Napavine for most of her adult life, so I got to visit the area fairly frequently.

I hear you on the anxiously doing nothing. Amen. It'll probably snow another time or two in the next month. Um, you're not due until December. Unless you have major medical issues or are on bedrest or something, you should be fine. Most of your "golden" second trimester is during summer. I could still usually cook and such until 7-8 months along. 9mo is when I start being sluglike. But your pregnancies are probably a little different than mine.

Last year I was planting up until the day before I delivered. Tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, potatoes, beans, peas, everything. Only thing I didn't get in the ground were zucchini and more cucumbers. And my little girl didn't come out until 41w6d. My best friend was the little $8 stool from Walmart. Nice and low to the ground so I could sit with my giant belly and keep planting/weeding/whatever since my hips and pelvis were shot. I still use it, actually. Makes it easier to weed when the beds are as infested with weeds and evil Bermuda grass like mine are.
You are a determined gardening mama!

Yeah it is my dh that is worried more than me about the garden + pregnancy. I do tend to have irritable uterus issues and therefore I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy and take frequent rests. Also baby #3 is currently only just over a year and not even close to walking yet. I figure if I handled helping plant a garden last year 3 weeks after an emergency c/s, then it will be no big deal this year even with the mentioned issues. I do tend to be pretty useless besides cooking/cleaning for the last couple months though due to the irritable uterus lol

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

celestialdreamer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off