Mothering Forum banner

Food Growing MDCer's... it's spring!

16K views 295 replies 50 participants last post by  Fueling Minds 
#1 ·
Food Growing Mamas (and papas!)... Holy moley it's been a long winter! I sure have missed you guys

I set up my seed starting "room" and planted my tomato & pepper seeds yesterday (May 15th last hard frost date here). The rest will wait until next week. I will be planting squash (not pumpkin) this year for the first time! How about you guys? What are you growing? What are your goals for this year? Did you learn anything from last season that you can share with us all?

The cupboards are pretty much bare of any homegrown produce. I can see why in the past people have referred to early spring as "the hungry season". Since we ran out of canned tomatoes last week, I guess I either need to step up my production or eat less next winter
. I figure I have got to put up at least 50 quarts. *sigh*. We still have some jams & jellies, pear honey, one jar of pickles, a bag of sun dried tomatoes and some frozen bell peppers... that's it!

I learned that I need to make & can applesauce and pickles even if I think I am too busy and no one will eat them anyway. This is untrue; the minute we run out someone will ask for it, including neighbors, and family members will pout if there is not sauce or pickles in their holiday gift baskets. I learned not to make more than one batch of hot pepper jelly per year and to put it in 4 oz. jars. I learned pear honey is divine on pancakes. I learned that a sandwich baggie of sun dried tomatoes is the *perfect* size for us and they freeze really well. Also, tomatillo salsa freezes very well and takes up way less room than whole frozen tomatillos
Speaking of tomatillos, I learned last year that once I plant the darn things I can be pretty much assured of a bumper crop the next year too

Looking forward to hearing how you all are doing!!!!

See less See more
#178 ·
Okay mamas! I've decided screw it, I am going to till this year. Any ideas on the how to tip? I have always tried to learn no-till, so tilling is totally new to me. I need to either rent or pay someone and I want to know the best way to do it. Do pretty much all of y'all till?

#179 ·
Leeks, onions, peas, and broccoli are outside in individual containers. Everything else we have is sunning downstairs in its own containers under our grow lamp.

We have over 160 plants to plant (not just onions, peas, and broccoli) at the new house! I'd say that using the vermiculite to sprout, we had 100% germination on almost everything.

#180 ·
That's so awesome Sara! I am looking forward to seeing your garden when it gets going

Did I tell you my cousin lives in Lancaster? I was talking to her the other day and was saying how I have to get out there for a visit soon

#181 ·
Anyone can pumpkin? Can it be done?

I have always just froze it but would love to not put it in the freezer, I want the deep, rich, orange pumpkin you buy in the $4 can. We use alot of it. Any recommendations on type to use? I bought Styrian Pumpkin to try from a seed sanctuary but still have time order more seeds.

#182 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
That's so awesome Sara! I am looking forward to seeing your garden when it gets going

Did I tell you my cousin lives in Lancaster? I was talking to her the other day and was saying how I have to get out there for a visit soon

We'd love to have you over! Not too soon, though. We need to at least get stuff unpacked a bit.

We just got a ton of cans from my wonderful food-growing MIL!
: They're extras from when she used to can a lot more. Now she only does hot peppers, tomato juice, and pickles, and we got the rest of her jars - about 40. We're very excited. Anyone have canning recommendations? We need to buy supplies because we've never canned before. Anything to avoid or look for?

And sheeeeeeeeez, it's cold out here.
: I thought it was supposed to be spring, people. BTW, this is a perfect time for anyone north of zone 6 to remind me of their snowstorms they got yesterday.

#183 ·
I did that 6 years ago. I now, finally, do not have arugula everywhere. Never, ever again! It was in all the plots, in the lawn, in the cracks of the driveway... it's a weed! I have the same issue w/cilantro, but it's much more logical to pull a small cilantro or 3 to use. Which I do all spring!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I left a few arugula plants standing because they've gone to seed and I thought it would be fun/interesting to save seed (they're OP). Anyone ever tried that with arugula?

#184 ·
Quote:
I did that 6 years ago. I now, finally, do not have arugula everywhere. Never, ever again!
Um, uh oh! Hmm! Well, we have terrible weed issues anyway...

My container tomatoes have disease. Fusarium wilt, probably.
: DANG IT! I BOUGHT soil (which bugged me!!) and planted in containers just because we always have such terrible disease issues with tomatoes. I don't know what to do about this! I even buy the super-improved disease-resistant ones instead of nice happy heirlooms, and still. FL is an awful place to garden sometimes.

#185 ·
Sorry about your tomatoes, loraxc. If it makes you feel any better, for us it's nigh on impossible to grow broccoli. No matter what we do, it's infested, totally.
:

#187 ·
There is a great resource of information about canning and preserving your harvest on this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=918724 It might be pretty overwhelming to start in on, but there are a lot of great ideas and recipes.

Another thread that is more recent and less bulky is: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=962343 I'm sure you'd find lots of great help there.

I love canning and preserving things. So far today we've had frozen peaches, raspberries, and blueberries with dried stevia herb to sweeten for breakfast. At lunch we had two kinds of pickles. Wonder what we should have for supper?

#188 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
Okay mamas! I've decided screw it, I am going to till this year. Any ideas on the how to tip? I have always tried to learn no-till, so tilling is totally new to me. I need to either rent or pay someone and I want to know the best way to do it. Do pretty much all of y'all till?
We do. Hubby is an engineer. He likes his manly toys. Whatever. I'd love to be able to do the mulching of everything a la Ruth Stout, but I don't have a long enough growing season. The ground needs to be bare to warm up in the spring/early summer. Unless you *know* how to use a tiller, your best bet is probably having someone who knows their tiller to do it for you. Check craigslist (maybe trade services or something?) or poke around folks you know from your farmer's market, etc. Or heck, walk around your neighborhood - you never know what helpful person may be living just houses away from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthemove View Post
Anyone can pumpkin? Can it be done?
I think you can can chunks, but not the puree. Unless you have a commercial cannery in your kitchen - the mfrs are able to heat the thick puree up really quick without it burning to kill any ickies in there. I think with home stuff, if you get the middle of the puree heated up enough, by that time you've burnt the outside parts of the puree in the jar. Or something like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Anyone have canning recommendations? We need to buy supplies because we've never canned before. Anything to avoid or look for?
Know the difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. They are two completely different things. I do like having my separate water bath canner and pressure canner. I don't exactly use them at the same time, but it is nice to have options. And yeah, I know I've posted to other threads about canning - just do a thread search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
My container tomatoes have disease. Fusarium wilt, probably.
: DANG IT! I BOUGHT soil (which bugged me!!) and planted in containers just because we always have such terrible disease issues with tomatoes. I don't know what to do about this! I even buy the super-improved disease-resistant ones instead of nice happy heirlooms, and still. FL is an awful place to garden sometimes.
What exactly is fusarium wilt again? I forget... Have you tried repotting the tomatoes? And sprinkling the soil with cinnamon? Might help a little... Or maybe freeze/bake some of your own soil to try to kill annoying little buggies? Part of why I love it up here. Sure, my growing season's quite a bit shorter than yours, but our winter kills off all kinds of nasties in the soil.

#190 ·
I think you can can chunks, but not the puree. Unless you have a commercial cannery in your kitchen - the mfrs are able to heat the thick puree up really quick without it burning to kill any ickies in there. I think with home stuff, if you get the middle of the puree heated up enough, by that time you've burnt the outside parts of the puree in the jar. Or something like that.

good to know before I attempt it, perhaps I will freeze puree and can chunks!

#191 ·
I got one bed planted!

And I restarted the watermelon. Though I still grieve for my adorable little lost babies.

I have one more bed left, which will have potatoes and lettuces, and I'm still deciding if I will even try to plant broccoli/cabbage/brussels or be patient and wait for fall like I think I should...Any opinions?

#192 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CultivatingMyRoots View Post
I got one bed planted!

And I restarted the watermelon. Though I still grieve for my adorable little lost babies.

I have one more bed left, which will have potatoes and lettuces, and I'm still deciding if I will even try to plant broccoli/cabbage/brussels or be patient and wait for fall like I think I should...Any opinions?
I'd wait until July or August to plant broccoli and cabbage for Fall.
I don't know anything about brussel sprouts.

#193 ·
Cathy, why must you always be the voice of reason!? Maybe I WANT to set myself up for an unproductive summer and wasted space grieving my bad decisions and hasty hard-headedness!

I might also be referring to me planting a 'full' garden (for me, I can't even imagine some of the space you mamas have!) and trying to do it with a newborn and a toddler. I'm feeling a bit daunted. Doesn't stop me, though, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

How hard can it be, right?

#194 ·
Quote:

Cathy, why must you always be the voice of reason!? Maybe I WANT to set myself up for an unproductive summer and wasted space grieving my bad decisions and hasty hard-headedness!

I might also be referring to me planting a 'full' garden (for me, I can't even imagine some of the space you mamas have!) and trying to do it with a newborn and a toddler. I'm feeling a bit daunted. Doesn't stop me, though, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

How hard can it be, right?

Hehe! I was just preventing you from a very bug infested broccoli.
With our heat it will kill those little puppies. You can always fill up the rest of your garden with herbs and flowers. The pollinators will love you. I don't think I planted my broccoli soon enough. We will see.

Found out today that I have no limitations on selling at the Tues. and Thurs. markets.
: Now to figure out how many tomato plants I need to plant of each kind to sell at market. Well, I guess I will probably planting 80 plants.

#195 ·
Yea, the herbs and flowers is definitely my plan, I already spread some marigolds around my tomatoes and basil, and I've got lemon balm to go on the edges of my potato bed. I can't even remember everything I threw down.

Also, are you headed to any of the mommy meetups? I think I saw your email about being busy yesterday, but API today? I would love to buy a tomato plant or two!

On second thought, I'm not going to API because it's in the mall. Baby and I will head to the park with her cousins. But I DO want those seedlings!

#196 ·
Quote:

Yea, the herbs and flowers is definitely my plan, I already spread some marigolds around my tomatoes and basil, and I've got lemon balm to go on the edges of my potato bed. I can't even remember everything I threw down.

Also, are you headed to any of the mommy meetups? I think I saw your email about being busy yesterday, but API today? I would love to buy a tomato plant or two!

On second thought, I'm not going to API because it's in the mall. Baby and I will head to the park with her cousins. But I DO want those seedlings!
I totally forgot about API today. It's been crazy. Maybe we can set-up a playdate next week.

#199 ·
Heather, I keep threatening to go visit everyone!
I would have such an awesome time if I could tour the country via MDC gardens
I figure I could start in Lancaster, then work my way over to Lanna, then head west to Cathy's. It should only take all summer and I am sure DH won't mind in the least.

#200 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiesandAbrosmama View Post
anyone experiance th birds eatting all the seeds? Do I really need to start all the seeds inside

For big areas like corn I use bird scare tape (I find the kind with the red on one side works the best) all over the place. For smaller areas such as in my raised beds, I do this: http://themorsefamilyspot.blogspot.c...ove-birds.html (from my blog)

#201 ·

Sounds like a lovely tour, serenetabbe! I'll have way too much work in my garden and house to go touring, but I'd appreciate pictures.........

DH is OUT OF CONTROL with these seedlings. We got 100% germination on the celery, so there are about........... 30? He just planted 20 basil plants, and we still have a second variety we want to plant. I was planning on 2 or 3 basil plants, not 10 times that much! I keep trying to convince him to anticipate 100% germination, but he always overplants. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to give lots of plants away so we have less to put in the ground. Already gave away some tomato plants, so we're going to give each tomato recipient a basil plant to go with the tomato.
:

T-5 days until we own our own homestead!
:

#202 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Heather, I keep threatening to go visit everyone!
I would have such an awesome time if I could tour the country via MDC gardens
I figure I could start in Lancaster, then work my way over to Lanna, then head west to Cathy's. It should only take all summer and I am sure DH won't mind in the least.
Well, then you'll just have to give up gardening for a summer.
Or have someone at home take care of it.
I know I wish I could visit everyone too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.