raised bed gardening...? about building sides - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to get a raised bed/square foot garden going, but am trying to decide about the sides. I know treated wood is apparently a no no, railroad ties as well. Don't want the labor of bricks/concrete blocks, etc. Cedar is too expensive! I have heard of some people obtaining wood pallets and then staining them with something.

If one gets untreated wood, is there anything that you can paint on it that is safe?

Tina

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#2 of 6 Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM

I know that a lot of folks really frown on using treated wood, but its so affordable and easy. I have used treated 12" x 2" boards for all of my raised beds and feel like the benefits out weigh the risk, cost, and labor of the other options.

Mama to Milo 8-06 and wife to Matt. 2nd grade teacher and wannabe urban homesteader! ::
#3 of 6 Old 04-12-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceincolo View Post
I know that a lot of folks really frown on using treated wood, but its so affordable and easy. I have used treated 12" x 2" boards for all of my raised beds and feel like the benefits out weigh the risk, cost, and labor of the other options.
Do you have any worries of chemicals however like arsenic???

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
#4 of 6 Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 AM

What about the kits that are made from recycled plastic? It says they are eco friendly (probably because they are recycled) but I've been wondering if they are safe for the food you are growing in them.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#5 of 6 Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 AM

You could check on the price for white oak. I guess it is probably expensive as well - but it is an option that would be weather-resistant, like cedar.

If you do end up using cinder blocks, you could paint them with that moss/yogurt mix, so the sides are pretty and covered in moss.
#6 of 6 Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 PM

I am actually using those concrete landscape blocks. I am slowly raising the level--not overnight, just as the years go buy and I add compost and stuff it is slowly raising. I could, of course, I'm just not

If I use untreated wood, I'll have to replace it every other year because of termites. I do not want to deal with that, and I don't want to use treated wood.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page