Need Low-Maintenance Veggie Gardening Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to be having major ankle surgery on May 21st.

DH set up a space for me to plant some veggies right next to the back door which he tilled with organic soil for me. I won't be able to do very much maintaining due to my lack of mobility over the summer. I will be able to crutch out and get on my knees, but my time will be limited. DH can help water, but will be have double responsibilty in the house, so I don't want to ask much more of him.

Are there any veggies I can grow (zone 7/8 - North Carolina) that require little maintenance??

I have some cucumbers started in a pot for transferring, but it's my first time with those so I don't know how much work they require. I have booming parsley. I have seeds for organic lettuce...but never tried them before.

Anyone have some tips/ideas/info to offer?

Thank you in advance...

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM

I found lettuce easy, but they prefer colder weather, so might not do as well in the summer and start bolting quickly.

Basil will probably easy as well and Parsley and Cilantro.

Zucchini are very hands-off imo. They just grow and grow and grow and grow.

Beets are low maintenance as well. Rainbow chard as well.

I remember seeing some old farm gardens, where everything was just growing anywhere and it was messy, but wonderful.

Good luck to your ankle!

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#3 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 PM

One thing you can do no matter what you end up planting is put a good layer of mulch over the soil. it will hold moisture so you don't have to water as often and suppress weeds.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#4 of 12 Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 7/8 in texas. Peppers grow without work for me. You also have a while to harvest, so if you get to them late, they aren't useless like okra.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Beets, carrots, turnips are all low maintenance....once you put in the seeds, there isn't much more to do until you pull them in the Fall. You could use a lot of mulch in between the rows to, to save a lot of weeding....

Annie
#6 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 AM

You can also drape floating row covers over the seedlings to keep pests down and provide a little extra warmth to get them going well.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#7 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mama, can you tell me more about "floating row covers"?

I'm a new gardener, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

#8 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Floating covers are a lightweight, opaque material that you can buy at the plant nursery or gardening section of a home improvement store. You put them over the rows- light and water get in, but pests like root maggot flies can't lay their eggs on your plants. You can drape it it over seedlings and stake the corners or put rocks on the edges.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#9 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 05:01 PM

I would recommend zucchini (a couple kinds--green, yellow, maybe pattypans too), swiss chard, and green onions. How large is your space? That will help you decide!
#10 of 12 Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 PM

mamaRBH... I think the way to go this summer for you might be raised beds and/or things you could pick/tend while standing up. Think something you can reach while sitting, seriously raised beds and not like my sort-of-raised-bed crouch or kneel down garden. Veggies that can be grown upwards would be good, like trellised peas and cukes, or tall items like corn. Depending on how old your children are, they of course could be pressed into tending the "low" stuff

I do not know what you are having done or how long your recovery time will be... but I can tell you that when I had major ankle surgery I was not about to kneel or crouch down anywhere for at least a few months. I used my sling to carry things in, and I would imagine that it would work just fine for harvesting items while leaving one hand free for crutches or cane. I hope everything works out well for you and you are back on your feet in no time!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#11 of 12 Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
mamaRBH... I think the way to go this summer for you might be raised beds and/or things you could pick/tend while standing up. Think something you can reach while sitting, seriously raised beds and not like my sort-of-raised-bed crouch or kneel down garden. Veggies that can be grown upwards would be good, like trellised peas and cukes, or tall items like corn. Depending on how old your children are, they of course could be pressed into tending the "low" stuff

I do not know what you are having done or how long your recovery time will be... but I can tell you that when I had major ankle surgery I was not about to kneel or crouch down anywhere for at least a few months. I used my sling to carry things in, and I would imagine that it would work just fine for harvesting items while leaving one hand free for crutches or cane. I hope everything works out well for you and you are back on your feet in no time!
Thank you so much for this. You brought two great things to my attention.

PM'ing you real quick...

#12 of 12 Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM

You know, I actually find vegetable gardens to be low maintence (compared to the yard) if they are prepped really well. Prepping to me means tilling, tilling in compost second if you have it, putting down a very good layer of mulch (newspaper topped with straw, black plastic sheeting, or weed block), and then seeds or seedlings. It is a lot of work to get set up but then is almost labor free aside from picking the veggies and watering.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page