How can I tell when my maple syrup is done cooking down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read the 7 degrees above boiling thing, but I'm not really understanding. I don't have a sugar hydrometer or anything like that. Is there some easy, olf-fashioned way of being able to tell when it's done?
#2 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Scoop some up with a spoon or spatula and watch what it looks like as it drips back down into the pan. When you stop getting separate drops, but instead they start joining together into more of a stream or sheet, then it's more or less done. (It will also just start looking and feeling thicker and more like syrup.) I suggest taking it off the heat when you first start thinking maybe it's close to being done, letting it cool off, and then seeing if it seems thick enough. It will thicken up quite a bit as it cools. If it's still more runny than you like it even after it's cool, heat it up again and boil it some more.
#3 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM

We just kept taking the temperature when I did it. I seem to remember that it needed to be 217 or something, but I don't remember for sure--my brother had a book we were using. Also, we knew how much syrup we should end up with from the amount of sap we started with (we boiled 40 gallons of sap down to 2/3 of syrup).

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so much!

I have one more question: When I let the sap/syrup settle in the pan after boiling, there is a cloudy substance that sinks to the bottom. It's kind of powdery like sugar. Should I try to strain this out somehow before I bottle the syrup? If so, how? Would a cotton cloth or coffee filter work?
#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think my friend who makes a lot of maple syrup said she and her husband just try to leave most of that stuff behind when they pour the syrup into bottles. That's what I did this year. According to the book I have (Backyard Sugarin' by Rink Mann), you can use filtering felt ("available in most stores selling sugaring equipment") or just water resistant paper towels. I think I've used a coffee filter in the past. Last year I don't recall getting enough of that cloudy stuff to worry about.
#6 of 6 Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page