Canadian Thistles- help me kill them - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any natural method to kill Canadian Thistles? Would vinegar or lemon juice work? I don't mind if the substance kills other stuff around it- I'm trying to turn this weed patch into a dirt path from my house to the neighbors. Of course, if it doesn't kill the grass, that would be nice too.
#2 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Canada thistle is one of the toughest plants to get rid of - ever.

It reproduced both by roots and seeds so tilling/disking can actually make it spread more. In my experience, there has been no natural products that make a dent on this weed. Repeated mowing (like 3-4 times per season) can weaken the plant and done for years on end can eventually eradicate it. If you have small patch you could try solarizing your soil but keep it covered for a couple years.

Depending how bad your infestation is, it is a plant which can warrant the use of herbicides. I've had success with mowing the plants down, and then using a foam paint brush to dab chemical directly on the stem. This is best done after your first fall frost since the plant is taking sugars into the root stock to store for the winter so the chemical directly translocates into the root.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE Canada thistle - and I don't use the H word a lot. In Idaho, it is actually illegal to have it on your property

\m/

#3 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 PM

We cut it down and pour salt over the stump.

The seeds live in the ground for literally decades, so it's very difficult to eradicate completely, but the salt works pretty well.
Goats work too

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#4 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM

nak
pee on them (or pee in container & pour it on)
#5 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

I live in Idaho, so does that mean that I need to work even harder to get rid of them. It's kind of funny, because my husband likes the thistles. They remind him of his Scottish/Canadian heritage. But, I'm tired of getting poked walking to my neighbor's house in flipflops. My husband does mow them down and that helps. It was just hoping to kill them before they became a summer pain. Thanks ladies.
#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Painted Lady butterflies are attracted to the thistles and the caterpillars eat them, apparently.
#7 of 9 Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM

What about laying cardboard over them to form a path, then top with some kind of mulch or whatever substance.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 9 Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Ugghh I hate those Canadian thistles!!! I spent an average of 4 hours a week last summer pulling those darned things from my lawn and planted beds, and yet we still had several dozen of them by the end of the summer. I had to dig such a deep hole to get them up that I also succeeded in killing the grass surrounding the thistles as well. I finally gave up this year and started spraying them with a commercial herbicide as soon as they started poking up from the ground and reapplying weekly until they wither and die. I hate the idea of putting toxic chemicals in my yard, but thistles really are next to impossible to eradicate any other way (especially when they are scattered in the lawn or poking out from under my larger bushes.) So far the herbicide seems to be working and i have noticed them dying off after a couple of weeks of spraying.

You have my sympathies!

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#9 of 9 Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM

When our family had goats, they always ate the thistles. Even when they found ones that were fully grown.
There mouths and insides are made of iron LOL!

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page