So, I accidentally let my parsley go to seed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I guess I wasn't using my parsley enough, because it went to seed, and now it's full of flowers. Is there any hope of it still producing the herb, or is my only option at this point to harvest and plant the seeds?

If the latter is my only option, do I have to do much of anything special? Can I just pull the flowers off and bury some in the ground? I feel like that might be silly, but hey, it works for weeds, right?

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's flowering, I'd say consider it done, and leave it flower. I don't know your climate, but if you still want fresh parsley, you could consider putting in a new plant.

As for harvesting the seeds, I just leave mine go once it flowers. The flowers will eventually turn into seeds, and if you let the seeds drop where they will, you'll have parsley coming up everywhere. I replant the volunteers I want (or just let them grow where they sprout) and pull the ones I don't. Easy-peasy!
#3 of 6 Old 05-22-2009, 03:20 AM

I agree, you can just let it go to seed.

I know parsley is meant to be short lived but I have a plant that has been there for years, gone to seed, died off and grown new parsley leaves again and again. It has a thick tubourous stem now about 2 inches wide and 8 inches long.
Are there perrenial versions of parsley? Maybe I have that?

If not, you could just pick of the flowers and see if it keeps going

Mel - Loving mama and wife to the A team
From little things, big things grow
#4 of 6 Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM

We had Italian parsley that basically tried to take over the world. It definitely reseeded itself and also, as I recall, kept growing until we would pull it out. I believe I still used it as an herb after it started flowering, though possibly I didn't use it fresh after that. We don't live in that house any more
#5 of 6 Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM

I think parsley is technically classified asa biennial but can act as an annual in colder climates. I'm in zone 4b/5a and I too have a parsley plant outside that has been around for 4 years and getting stalkier every year. In fact, it is my first plant to poke through the snow. I also get volunteers from seeds.

OP - I might try planting the seeds or letting them drop and cutting the plant down. You're in a warm climate and parsely is a pretty vigorous grower so I wouldn't be surprised if your parent plant came back for summer/fall cuttings. In our house, you can never have too much parsley around

\m/

#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 PM

I'd just let it go and see what happens, but then, I've never grown it, just the Italian parsley kind. Sometimes my Italian comes back and sometimes now. It did spread vigorously throughout my butterfly garden.

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page