Watering compost? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to read through the compost 101 thread, but was wondering if anyone waters their compost? Specifically, I guess those of you that live in drier climates? I'm thinking of putting our on the drip line, to speed things along.

TIA!

Mommy to kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I am going to read through the compost 101 thread, but was wondering if anyone waters their compost? Specifically, I guess those of you that live in drier climates? I'm thinking of putting our on the drip line, to speed things along.

TIA!
My grandfather watered and stirred his all the time. He also had a chipper that everything went through before he added anything to the pile. This was in the California Valley so it is very dry there in the summer. My grandfather was born on a farm in 1904 so he did his very old school.
#3 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 10:32 PM

We've started watering ours recently. (we live in a dry climate) It is supposed to speed things up. I think even dry it will eventually decompose but to remain optimally active (full of lots of little bacteria guys) it should remain moist.

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#4 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM

I water mine when it seems really dry. I also pour the water left over from cooking veggies into my compost bucket so it gets some extra moisture that way too.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 5 Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, today I put two emitters on it! I hope it helps, because we have had a major problem with smell. I actually have never achieved compost, but I put all the chicken poop and wood shavings that we use for chicken bedding in it, plus non-chicken-edible food waste. So maybe it's the wrong mix? I would like it to actually get hot, but it never has in the past. I've just given it up and mixed it right into the garden in the fall or spring.

Mommy to kids

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page