do you pull the suckers off your corn?and other corn questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i planted a bunch of corn. too much. theres 2 plants coming up from many of the holes. and they all have suckers. should i cut off the second stalk or let both plants grow from the holes? will that hinder the growth of both plants at that point? also, do i pull the sucker off? my friend insists that yes, i should, but ive read that it may reduce yield. wwyd? i havent grown corn before this so im feeling a little lost here. also, will the suckers grow roots if i transplant them? ive read they are capeable of their own root systems etc. but not sure about the process. TIA!

joyful student mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, crazy in love with DH, and loving our new baby boy! 7-09:!!
#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 PM

As a first time corn grower also, please don't take my advice as gold, but.... we had several plants that were right beside each other, I carefully dug deeply around them and transplanted to a better spot and they have lived thus far. I am not sure of the repercussions of this, just thought I would let you know that mine have lived. HTH, at least a little!

Btw what are suckers?
#3 of 5 Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Darn, just found out what suckers are. From asking around, the suckers should come off
#4 of 5 Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM

It isn't necessary to remove the suckers. We never have & have had corn.
#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2009, 03:45 PM

This is our first time growing corn. We had some with 2 or 3 stalks right next to eachother, we found the ones with just one stalk are twice or maybe even 3 times as thick/tall as the ones with several, so we split them up and transplanted. We're hoping the transplants make it, but i'm not so sure. Next year we'll make sure that there's only one seed per spot to prevent this. So yes, I'd say suckers need to go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page