dandelions, I like 'em, but my dh... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-20-2002, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey has anyone used corn gluten to get rid of dandelions? OUr yard is a sea of yellow and dh wants to weed and feed I wanted to find an alternative. Any suggestions?
#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2002, 08:11 PM

Well, you could decide they're a crop and eat'em........seriously, I can give you recipes....
#3 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 11:15 AM

Weed and Feed won't help if the dandelions are already there - it only works as a pre-emergent- has to be applied before the weeds germinate (early spring). Around here they say to apply it as soon as the forsythia bloom. My dh ( a weed hater and lawn fanatic) has one of those handy little tools that you dig in at the base of the weed and it has a "V" shape that pulls it out root and all. That would be a lot of work if you have a yard full though. We usually let our mower "mulch" the grass and leave it on the lawn, but another little trick if you have some dandelions that you don't want, is to use your bag attachment on your mower when mowing them so that you are not just spreading their seeds all over the lawn and making the problem worse. Hope this helps.
#4 of 6 Old 04-25-2002, 03:30 PM
m&m

You can plant in more hardy grasses, other flowers, or even different types of ground cover-

you can also dig up the roots - cutting the tops spreads the dandilion milk which makes more new stems sprout up - the seeds from other yards will also give you new plants. - digging them up works only if you have less than 50 weeds though -
#5 of 6 Old 04-27-2002, 06:33 PM

cook em!!! Seriously the stalks are a great green, the root and leaves ried are a good tea. The root is good for the liver I think, and the leaves help for healthy blood and blood presure.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#6 of 6 Old 04-27-2002, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!

Bellababe and Hera - I think I will try making some dandefood. I have a book on edible plants and it will be fun to harvest the 'weeds'

3boysmom - hey, i'm a 3boysmom too if my dh is included in the count! Good tip on the bagging vs. cut and leave, which is what we usually do - guess we'll be putting some seed in the compost! Hey, then the dandelions can hang out with our other edibles in the vegie garden!

m&m - hmmm...didn't know that the milk would cause new growth too, what an industrious plant!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page