Tomato leaves have spots! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my tomatos and my snow peas. Some of the leaves are yellowing, and I see brown spots on the leaves and stems. I've been looking around and wondered if this was anthracnose or blight? Any ideas? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!
well here is what I understand about tomatoes and problems with the plants....from info I have collected over the many many many years of gardening....

blight is a fundal disease. usually the leaves cna have dark brown spots and sometimes rings around the dark spots. kind of like a bulls eye. If it is this, remove the damaged leaves.

anthracnose?

verticillium wilt or fusarium are fungi in the soil-which then goes into the tomato plant, into the stem and turns the stem area brown, it is kinda like blocked arteries, as it does not allow the leaves to receive the 'feeding' it needs to keep alive.

If it is this, remove the plant and destroy it, do not add it to the compost pile though as it can spread..it does live in the soil after all.... then it is suggested that you avoid growing anything in that area for about 3 years. I have found that if you do this to an area that is affected, the first year I am not growing anything in that area, I also place plastic over the area and try to 'sterilize the area'. I am not sure if that is the best to do or not, but I do it anyway.
hope this helps some ...

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...
#3 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I think it is blight. I wonder if anthracnose is the official term for blight?

I have removed as many affected leaves as I can. I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't plant tomatoes next year--maybe just have them in containers on the patio. Put the snow peas in another section of the garden. I also think I have done things to make matters worse--composted blighted plants in the past, worked in a wet garden, watered at night. So much to learn...
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM

watering at night isn't bad in hot climates...it's getting water on the leaves that can start harming alot of veggies so the rule of thumb is to water deeply at the base and avoid watering from the top. blight is no fun but can be managable if you catch it early enough, at least manageable enough to get some fruit...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#5 of 5 Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 AM

We're pretty sure we have Septoria Leaf Spot. I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to treat with an organic fungacide. We removed the leaves, but we are getting nowhere. I hope you don't loose your plants, I'm afraid we'll loose at least a couple plants before the tomatoes ripen, at this point. Best of luck!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page