Tomatoes are not producing fruit Update!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our tomato plants are huge, almost as tall as DP, with tons of flowers but no tomatoes yet. We tried some organic fertilizer and they still are not tomato-ing. What can I do? Most people I know already have tomatoes. We would like to avoid chemical fertilizers please help!

We have tomatoes!!!!!!!

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Since you've said that you are getting tons of blossoms but no fruit, my best guess would be that you have a pollination problem, not a nutrient deficiency. Do you notice pollinating insects in your yard, or not really? You could try to hand pollinate for awhile and see if that helps.
#3 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

yes I've seen bees on the flowers. Everything else we are growing is doing fine. How does one hand pollinate?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#4 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

This can happen when there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Have you been fertilizing or adding manure/compost?
#5 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

yes we have been fertilizing. We initially used manure and compost and i just got some organic blood meal and bone meal fertilizer. I can't remove the nitrogen if there is too much though, so what do I do?

#6 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

There's nothing you can do at this point - it's late in the season. I would continue to water well and see what happens. Tomatoes *are* heavy feeders, but too much of a good thing promotes lush foliage and little fruit production.
#7 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I see. That's lame. guess there is always next year.

#8 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 PM

What have temperatures been like?

Tomatoes will wind-pollinate, they don't *need* bees.

However, they will only set fruit successfully if the temperature is at least in the 60s at night, and they also won't set fruit if it is over about 90-ish.

We've having some similar problems with some of our tomato types - it's been really cool here in the NE and DH's breeding field is having a lot of "Blossom drop" because of it.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#9 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it has been between those temperatures. This season it took a while to get warm and stay that way though. Most people's tomatoes in the area were later than normal, but we still have none. Also, they are heirlooms. Does that make a difference? I just don't understand why everything is producing wonderfully BUT the tomatoes. I've heard trimming can help. How much would I trim off?

#10 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 AM

You can often get your soil analyzed by county extension agents to find out whether you need to fertilize or not.

My mom had a great book the last time I visited (and of course I can't remember the name) that talked about the *dangers* of overfertilizing, even with compost.

This article might help:
http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/blossom.htm

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#11 of 12 Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
This can happen when there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Have you been fertilizing or adding manure/compost?
When there is too much nitrogen, does the tomato plant still produce flowers? Or does it just produce a ton of foliage?
#12 of 12 Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

bump:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page