late blight ? and something's been eating my pumpkins! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My plants got the blight. All 60 of them. We pulled them quick and picked the green or orange fruit. Of course now some of them are turning blight. I have one box full of red tomatoes that show no symptoms. Are they safe to cook up in a sauce?

I will not be canning or frezzing them this would be an eat today sauce.

I'm really nervous about this. All the info that I'm finding seems to be split. I would hate to get my kids sick.

Thanks!

So I'm editing to add: a small animal has been taking bites out of my pumpkins. The eaten part is all on one side, would you cut it in half and eat the other side, or is that just a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

bumping
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM

My tomato plants call got blight. Some of the fruit ripened up ok, some looked yucky. I just got off the nasty parts and cooked and canned it. I never heard the the blight causes any problems for consumption, other than that you have some fruit that will be rotten (which you wouldn't eat, obviously).

Could squirrls be eating your pumpkins? Last year our entire neighborhood supply of pumpkins was consumed by squirrls. Turns out there were almost no oak acorns last year and the squirrls were very hungry. If they are pumpkins for your eating, and they aren't rotting - Well, I'd probably take off a good chunk of the chewed part and still use the pumpkin. :
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the pumpkins. I think I'll make a pie out of them.

I had read that you shouldn't can the tomatoes because blight lowers the PH of the tomatoes. I'm not sure if this applies to pressure cooking though.
They look so pretty and perfect, I hate throwing them out.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post
Thanks for the advice on the pumpkins. I think I'll make a pie out of them.

I had read that you shouldn't can the tomatoes because blight lowers the PH of the tomatoes. I'm not sure if this applies to pressure cooking though.
They look so pretty and perfect, I hate throwing them out.
Interesting... I didn't know that. I made salsa with most of it, high in vinegar and thus quite acidic. I added lemon juice to the other tomatoes.. Well, I will just keep an eye on those cans, like all other canned stuff, I guess. I guess you could freeze it and that would be ok.

User Tag List